Wrong sex = new behaviour?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisso81

Reaction score
A few weeks ago my 2 yr old spotted 'female' refused her first feed ever...a sub adult rat. I thought it was a bit strange but noticed my local pet store seemed to have changed its supplier of rats (different packaging). I thought she may have turned her nose up at this 'new' supply but upon checking the thermostat noticed she'd bumped it down a few degrees. Got the thermometer out and checked the basking site, it had dropped from 31 to about 26, but the spot where she usually digests her food sits on 27. I reset the thermo and monitored it over the next few days, it maintained previous temps perfectly. So I tried her on another rat, different source again, but she refused this one too, it was properly thawed and I even brained it hoping that might help, she sniffed it repeatedly but never took it. I have also noticed that she is pacing the tank constantly, trying to get out. As soon as I open the doors she's out, over the desk, up the fish tanks, down the tanks, up the curtains, along the rail, back down to the floor. I don't think I've ever seen her move so quickly and cover so much ground.

So, I have a few questions:

Will a drop of 5 degrees be enough to trigger the 'winter's approaching, time to stop eating'? Ambient room temp at night doesn't get below 18, but I'm not sure how long the temp had been down. She fed fine 3 weeks before the first refuse.

Is my snake really a horny male trying to get out to find a mate? She was probed by a reputable herp vet, but can't remember how deep or shallow she probed.

Has anyone had a snake turn their nose up at a new supply of rats?

Anyway, I will wait another week before attempting another feed, and will be taking a few hatchies in for a vet check up soon so will have her/him/it reprobed and checked over.

Cheers all!

It's more about the days getting shorter than any drop in temps. I often have diamonds and woma that refuse to feed after late February. Both night and day temps in Qld are still bloody hot.
The only change is that the days are getting shorter....

Cheers, good point and one that hadn't crossed my mind. Maybe I'll just cool it anyway, plenty of conditioning but not planning on breeding it until next season.

All of my snakes are friskier right now. I'm not cooling any of them this year, but they are exploring a lot and the Antaresia are mating frequently (only snakes I have housed as a pair). Even my shy Darwin male has been out and about more than usual. Just that wintery feeling. My Antaresia usually stop feeding in winter, but I'm doing pretty well this year - just leaving the rat in the enclosure until it gets eaten.

yeah some snakes will react to seasonal change outside, even though you are playing mother nature inside.

dont panic, give her a break off her food for a while, shell eat when hungry again.

donks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back