• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Pythons and Snakes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

wtb penny turtles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lisajohnson

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi was looking to buy a couple of penny turtles..have applied for reptile licence should recieve it soon..have tank and setup ready..close to penrith as possible.

Just to let you know penny turtles aren't actually a species, just a name petshops gave to small turtles some time ago ;)

There is no proper name for small turtles...petshops coined them 'Penny turtles'

Look into some common names of some turtles and go from there..ie: Murray River, Long Neck's etc.

all of the comonly available turtles get big. the smallest ones are about 18cm chell length but i couldnt tell you their name.

does anyone know the proper name for small turtles?

Yes, Hatchlings. Or how about juveniles. FYI, there are over 30 species of freshwater turtles in Australia and 4 species are for sale in Pet shops in Qld. So, not just short-necks and long-necks. You'll have to know what species you are after.

Cheers.

ok..thnx all for ur help
i saw an advertisement in our local pet shop for a breeder saying he had penny turtles for sale..lol

37cm for a long neck, and 40cm for a short neck

Unless its a Broad-shelled turtle, which is also a long-neck and can grow up to 45 cm and if it's a Northern-snapping turtle or Pig-nosed turtle (both short-necks) that can grow over 50cm.

hi expansa1
thnx for all ur information u have really helped me heaps but
can u recommend a turtle that can be kept inside in a 4ft tank?
u seem to know alot about turtles
thnx
lisa

hi expansa1
thnx
lisa
Yes Craig is the turtle man, what he doesnt know about turtles isnt worth knowing, much respect for this gentleman

hi expansa1
thnx
lisa

A Macleay River turtle will only grow to 18cm (female) and 16cm (male). It will take years for them to outgrow a 4ft tank. As adults i wouldn't recommend any tank for them smaller than 5ft.

Regards,

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back