Yellow Faced Whip Snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deedle

Reaction score
Hi.. I was wondering what is the best food for a Yellow faced WHip Snake in Queensland. I have been catching Penny lizards (Garden skink). Is there anything else that they prefer. Thanks

you purchased a snake not knowing what they eat, or you caught a wild yellow face?

I caught it yesterday and wanted to show my son. I actually opened the back door and stepped out and was amazed at the fastness of this snake. It was as quick as I have ever seen and was actually attacking me. Its only about 25cm long. I intend to let it go Tuesday when Ryan gets home.

Whopper Burgers, they love 'em.

Just dont feed it, i wouldnt recommend holding onto it could cause alot of stress on the little fella. Cant just take pics of him?

They eat ants, try to catch some ant's i'm sure the snake would love them also chuck a teddy bear in with him they like to cuddle up.

Teddy Bears eat Yellow Faced Whip Snakes Hodges, seriously bloke, if you are gunna give advice, make sure it is safe for the animals concerned, not what you read on a forum full of kids wanting to look like experts.

If you do no good with the whopper burger they also eat Pelicans.

Hi.. I was wondering what is the best food for a Yellow faced WHip Snake in Queensland. I have been catching Penny lizards (Garden skink). Is there anything else that they prefer. Thanks
yes they prefer one thing over anything else you have been giving it its called FREEDOM~!!!!!!!!!!!;)

He's probably going to keep it any way so might as well give him some advice for the benefit of the snake.
As some have said, they are skink eaters, give it a little bowl of water too. And let it go as soon as possible.

Freedom and Pictures I can fully understand why you suggest and I am inclined to agree.

But really Ants and Teddy Bears as advice. My question was placed in the interest of the snake IF I held onto him for the next couple of days.

Your Teddy Bear & Ant advice served to feed nothing but your own egos as so called semi experts. I hope it made you feel good for the day as it is probably a high lite in your month.

Thank you Jarden and Redbellybite. You at least have the snakes interest at heart and I can assure you, it will be a happy free YF Whip within the hour. If I can catch the little bugger. Quick as a Taipan they are.

He's probably going to keep it any way so might as well give him some advice for the benefit of the snake.
As some have said, they are skink eaters, give it a little bowl of water too. And let it go as soon as possible.
cant do that Dan ...especially knowing what they are doing isnt beneficial at all for the snake ,can understand the curiosity of having a elapid and wanting to show your kid ..
If it was only a day thing and they were putting the snake back outside to where they found it later on that day then..blind eye turned ..but keeping it for days ,trying to feed it ..its not OK (besides being illegal)

Freedom and Pictures I can fully understand why you suggest and I am inclined to agree.

But really Ants and Teddy Bears as advice. My question was placed in the interest of the snake IF I held onto him for the next couple of days.

Your Teddy Bear & Ant advice served to feed nothing but your own egos as so called semi experts. I hope it made you feel good for the day as it is probably a high lite in your month.

Thank you Jarden and Redbellybite. You at least have the snakes interest at heart and I can assure you, it will be a happy free YF Whip within the hour. If I can catch the little bugger. Quick as a Taipan they are.

The thing been is you cant hold onto the snake for the next couple of day's why keep a snake you know nothing about just for the fun of it ? or should i say to show someone why don't you take a few pictures and let it go.

It's just plain stupid it would be different if you knew what the snake eats ETC

The post did make me feel good for the simple fact i don't like to help idiot people that keep snakes that they know nothing about (or in this case catching snakes from the wild) and keep them for no reason.

Why on Earth would I want to keep it. It a curiosity to my son as we don't get to see many up front and personal. I am not set up for this type of activity. And its true it is better off were I found it or rather where it found me. The sound advice I got made sense from the other members. I have to tell you it is a beautiful looking snake and if I can I will take a picture and post it for those who maybe interested. I will even take one of me letting it go.

deedle yes they are a lovely snake and very fast ..
would love to see the pictures of your release and glad you are letting him go back into your garden to feed on skinks ..who knows you may cross paths again ...they love to sun themselves so you never know ..

Bleh, they arnt the kind of snakes you'd want to keep as a pet anyways - especially a wild caught one that is already firmly established on certain food types. Its going to be difficult to source food for (the constant supply of skinks etc would have you digging around the backyard 24/7), they're fast moving, nervouse, slightly venomouse... basically not much fun to enjoy as a pet.

So weather u plan to keep it or not (and I dont think you do, but just to satisfy everyone here who thinks u will) I think you will find that there are definately more prefferable snakes to keep and handle to satisfy your curiosity of these cool reptiles :)

On the other side of the coin though, a very nice snake for sure, they've always had a place in my list of favorite snakes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back