Yellow phase ackies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mistymtn

Reaction score
Hi all,
Sorry if these questions sound silly...bloody newbies :roll: Is it true there are red & yellow phase ackies? Does anyone have or breed the yellow phase ackies & can post some pictures? I only seem to see pictures of the red ones, are they more popular & common? are yellow dearer to buy?
thanks
Rob

In my opinion, Yellow and red , are at the very least just plain confusing. The terminology seems to have been developed by the americans to describe the two "styles" of ackies they have over there. It vaguely coincides with subspecies acanthurus acanthurus (red) and acanthurus brachyurus (yellow). These subspecies seem to have been all made to be acanthurus acanthurus now with the only subspecies being insulanicus from the top end islands. The major issue was tha nobody can decide where yellow and red stat and finsh and if its north/south of the line or east/west of the line. My advice would be that unless the animals are from known locality e.g. Mt Isa form, Alice Springs form, Sandfire form, then the use of the word red and yellow is simply descriptive like red , yellow, salmon etc. vitticeps

Thanks Dan,
So which of these "forms" are red & which are yellow? I have heard of the Mt Isa form before. are they yellow?

Mt Isa is sort of the old mid point but most texts consider Mt Isa form to be V. acanthurus acanthurus aka RED. A typical YELLOW would be Alice springs form even though they may not all be yellowish in colour.

PilbaraPythons sent me a picture earlier in the year of ackies that they come across.They look red and yellow to me.
Here's the pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back