yet another hygene question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bouncn

Reaction score
scenario:

you get your snake out to photograph her, you handle her and then take the pics, is it ridiculous to ask if i should have wiped the camera down with something afterwards?

I only ask as I have a one year old son and I'm quite careful with hygene as i'd hate for him to get sick.

i've never been that careful before but i thought i'd ask

I personally think you can never be too clean. I wash my hands everytime I touch a reptile and always between each reptile. I pat the dog and clean my hands, pat the cat the same...

I would wipe the camera down with an alcohol wipe but I'm obsessive compulsive ....

Just going to wash my hands :)

Id say your safe, unless your son is licking the camera in which case it would probably be bad to lick anything that isnt clean.

Yes I'd be cautious too and wipe it over with some disenfectant or mild soap. I was always washing my hands after handling my dogs and pups when my kids were little and still am fussy with my cats and handling anything else, including my python. I used to rush after the kids with a face washer after they had touched the Malamutes.

No need to wipe the camera down. Excessive cleaning of stuff is what leads to kids being sick all the time - no immune responses to everyday things. The only way he could get sick from a snake is if he was to go and lick it all over.

To wipe the camera over (which never came in contact with the snake) is a little crazy... Young childrens' bodies are designed to take in toxins and build up immunities to them (hence them putting everything in their mouth).

i definately agree that things can be too clean, i never wash dummies when they fall on the ground etc. i guess this question was about my health too, relating to the transfer between snake and camera, and then later when i pick the camera up.

and yes, i too have obsessive compulsive disorder.

You'll be sweet. Nothing bad would happen to you or your kiddo from a camera you used to take photos. Unless the snake had pathogens all over its skin... ?
People get their faces and mouths licked by dogs withut getting sick, so you should be fine. That being said, if it makes you feel better giving it a wipe down, go for it!

well i like to think i keep them all very clean but you never know.

And yes it will make me feel better to wipe it, but once I do, it will set the precedent for an obsessive compulsive cleaning rampage and I will never touch it again without wiping it. Ever seen that show Monk?

my cages are very clean but i dont wash my hand all the time after playing with the snakes

Nah never seen Monk. My only experience of OCD is a mate whose room is freakishly tidy. We sit on his bed and it drives him crazy bananas. Or you walk into his room and run your finger along his dresser and put everything askew. Hahahaha too funny.

try turning the jars around in the cupboard. chances are there's some kind of order :)

He pretends he hates us doing it, but we know he actually loves it!

I live under the banner of "If it doesn't kill, it'll make you stronger".

I get all rough with my dog, and only wash my hands if they smell bad afterwards.

Unless your herps are carrying something really nasty, building up a resistance to it would be good.
Get the immune system working.

My dogs give me kisses on the face. I don't then wash it.

Its not like they lick their bums or anything, do they? :lol::lol::lol:

but dont forget the saying, "if you dont wash your hands after holding your reptiles, you might wake up to be poopin and vommiting at the same time"

hahah my boss used to tell me that all the time, specially at the staff christmass party when i got his big coastal out for a hold.

ah well but yeah meh i disenfect everything around here with my reptiles but i think your little kiddo will be fine.

cheers
H.

I live under the banner of "If it doesn't kill, it'll make you stronger".

I get all rough with my dog, and only wash my hands if they smell bad afterwards.

Unless your herps are carrying something really nasty, building up a resistance to it would be good.
Get the immune system working.

herps do carry somethign really nasty.................................salmonella:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back