Young children python suddenly started striking

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jomagio

Reaction score
Hello, we are only new on here and would really appreciate any advice.
My daughter has a 7 month old children's python for about 4 weeks now and since feeding on Tuesday she has started to strike at my daughter. Before this she was very docile and easy to handle. We tried to feed her again on Saturday as we thought it might be hunger but she showed no interest in the fuzzie at all.

We really need some advice as my daughter is started to get scared trying to handle her and she dearly loves her. Any ideas on why she would have started to do this after being fine for weeks?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to give :)

Snakes are pretty small at this age especially childreni. Thus they may feel threatened and strike.
Can you tell us a bit about the snakes enclosure? does it have nice dark spot or a hide? What are the temps?
What size food are u feeding it? How often do you handle it etc.

As said above.
Could be food (a different food might be suggested-A fuzzie what) I prefer rats over mice (they stink more but my snakes seem to like that more)
Could be time to shed
Temps might be off

Good luck but as previously suggested in some other threads it might not hurt to cover the snake up for 48 hours without touching or paying any attention and then give it another go :)

Reptiles are temperamental creatures. Patients is the key.

Good luck and keep us informed! :D

a little more info thanks might help
did you feed it in the enclosure
has anything changed
i am taking it that you only got the snake 4 weeks ago and just fed it and this started to happen ?

Thank you for your quick replies :)

We have her in a very large glass tank with carpet to about 1/2 way. She has a heating rock she hides under, some coconut husk fibre stuff and a large dried tree branch. The temperature (my husband looks after) but I think he said it the heated end is sitting around 32c and the cool end around 24c
We take her out of her tank to feed her and put her in a smaller travelling enclosure for 24 hours then put her back in the large tank.
She eats fuzzy mice 1 per week.
She was getting handled daily until starting to strike and as far as we can tell nothing has changed.
Think thats about it :)

Cool
There are a few things I would change straight up:
1) Get rid of the heat rock as they can burn your snake if they malfunction. Instead use a heatmat connected to a thermostat :)
2)I would get rid of the husk fibre and just use newspaper.
3) Keep her in a smaller enclosure ie a click clack. Snakes like to feel secure and having her in a big enclosure is a massive shock to her. This alone could be why she is striking.
4)After feeding put back in her click clack so she can slide into her hide ontop of her heatmat.
5) Only handle her for 5-10 mins at a time then put her back. This way she will learn to tolerate u and she wont get too stressed. If u put her back when she bites then she will learn to bite u in order to go back in her cage.
6) Straight away I would upsize her food to a hopper mouse at least.

Thank you Grogshla!! Sorry for my ignorance but what is a click clack and where would be best to feed her, still in the travelling cage?

In my experience a large feed will make a hatchi snappy for a few days up to a week or even until they pass the feed. They just don't feel as safe when not as mobile. apart from the size of the enclosure, witch i have found to not be a problem if they have plenty of small enclosed spaces to hide. It would seem you are doing every thing OK. Hatchi's can be very cage defensive but are OK once out. I have found if they get to aggressive you can try placing them in a pillow case and sitting it on your lap. So they can readjust to your smell in a safe place.

These are just my opinions gained from my limited experience.

Thanks Lucas, she has been in this tank since we bought her home and she had not been snappy before this. She does have plenty of places to hide, under her water bowl seems to be her favourite lol. Maybe you are right as this has only been 24 hours after her feed and she has not had a bowel motion yet. Maybe best to leave her untill she does and then see if she is any better
* my daughter told me she has done a poo on Saturday so not that :(

a click clack is a small plastic tub or container. Usually people use sistema brand lunch box containers to house the young snakes. Search on the forum as there is an awesome thread on how to prepare a click clack.
I would feed the snake in the click clack. Others may say to remove and feed else where but i think this just adds to the stress of the snake. Don't be sorry at all we are all here for the same reason and that is to take good care of our reptiles and share knowledge :)

Thanks again Grogshla, I think the click clack must be what I call the travelling cage lol. She had been in this in the pet shop since they got her not long after birth so maybe we should put her back in there for awhile.
This is where it gets really confusing, the pet shop guy was adamant to take her out of that to feed her so she does not associate your hand with feeding and start striking but she is anyway lol.
Again thank you all for all your advise and help. Our daughter has been in tears (she is only 12) thinking her snake hates her, she has been reading all the replies and feels much better now, and we have a plan of action so thank you so very much for taking the time to help us :)

first of all you are the best parents haha!! it will be best for you to handle it for a few weeks just to tame it down its probably just scared. i know people will say the bite doesnt hurt but dont let this experience make her scared of these beautiful animals!! try feeding it out of the enclousure aswell :)

Try feeding the out of the cage, I had mine eating off my hand out of chopsticks, I have also read that they prefer the smell of lizard so rub a skink on a rat/ mouse them clean your hand before you feed it so it doesn't smell the food on you

Has it shed yet? Have you noticed her eyes go blue? My Darwin female turns into an absolute monster when she is shedding. Gets very very cranky! But then fine again once she has shed. If she has just started striking, I would advise leaving her alone for a few days to a week and if she sheds, problem solved!

Hello again, just thought I would do a quick update, you guys were right she was shedding, she has since started eating again and is fine to handle. Thank you so much for all your advice and help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back