young 'uns climbing and falling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nightowl

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
OK..... the young Olives I posted pics of in another thread love climbing. So much infact that they climb right up onto the light cages (fluoro) and can't get back down. They end up falling to the floor and I am afraid they will hurt themselves as the enclosures are about 700mm from floor to ceiling.

Any ideas to stop them getting up there? I don't have any other smaller or lower enclosures so that is out of the question right now.

Cheers
Shane

Shane.
Tomorrow, before work/school or at lunchtime, go have a look for some old gum tree branches.
Bushy areas for areas where they're developing are always a goldmine.
You can either attach branches horizontally in your enclosure using hook & eye combos, or get a couple of forked branches, cut them to equal heights, add a horizontal branch and secure with zip ties.
You decide how high to make it.

Here's a couple of my enclosures with climbing branches.
Good luck!

Thanks bigblackdog, I have already added a couple of branches, that's how they are reaching the light cages.

The problem is, they seem to use the branch as a 'one way' road and only use it to get up there. Then they just fall to the floor!

Maybe they are base jumpers??? ;)

If you put some more branches into the enclosure (enough so that they reach right up to the light cage, touching it even) then maybe your pythons will travel back down the branch instead of just dropping off? ...If you have any branches lying around then its worth a try atleast.

thanks. I'll add some more today and see how they go :)

Shane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back