your health

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_rotor

Reaction score
hey i just want to know is there any risk for your health if you own a snake and have the enclosure in your room . and has it affected anyone that you know of? and how to avoid it if there is any way of getting sick from it?
thanks.
john

What health risks are you thinking of? I have never had any issues.

well anything that you know of? and if anything has ever happend to any one? and if you know of any young snake owners that havent gotten sick before and have there snake in there room

I think sleeping with a cat or dog in the room would be far worse for your health. All my reptiles are kept in my bedroom.

hey i just want to know is there any risk for your health if you own a snake and have the enclosure in your room . and has it affected anyone that you know of? and how to avoid it if there is any way of getting sick from it?
thanks.
john

i wouldn't worry dude, i keep 4 snakes and three lizards in my room. as long as you keep them clean you will be right. obviously you need to be carefull with salmonella. same as dont put your snakes and lizards on the kitchen bench :p but yes it is the same with every animal, you want it to be well ventilated. and clean. quite a few peopel dont have them in their room due to the smell but they only really smeel when they defecate which goes away after you clean. but yeah i have never had anyproblems. hahah jsut remember to wash your hands:p

but as far as i can remember their are no zoonotic diseases.

oh kool thanks, nuh im not worrying just my mum .. you know how it is .. anoing :)

if you keep the enclosure clean i cant see why there would be but there was a thread regarding uv lamps and cancer not that long ago i dont remeber the result try finding the thread if it interests you. sean

oh kool thanks, nuh im not worrying just my mum .. you know how it is .. anoing :)

haha atleast she lets you have them i had to move out to get mine. but yes as my old boss used to say to me unless you want to be vommiting and sh itting at the same time i'd suggest you wash your hands after holding that snake :p was a very interesting staff meeting that one.

iv got snakes and lizards in my room and they dont smell as long as you clean the tanks regularly there fine

hahaha ... hey when you guys 1st got your snake did you always get relatives and friends telling you your an idiot and that there never going to visit you again?

hahaha ... hey when you guys 1st got your snake did you always get relatives and friends telling you your an idiot and that there never going to visit you again?

not exactly as they sort of expected it from me but i was told i would never keep a gf from the vet techs at uni when i showed them pics of my snakes and spiders and scorps and lizards on my phone. and these were vet techs that didn't liek them. ahah but my gf loves em all of them cept for satan. but yeah who cares what people think hahah they are the best pets to say the least.

cheers
H.

NO I got everyone who comes over wanting to see them. Not hold or touch mind you but their fascinated.
I do have one friend I am a little unsure of though. Havent seen him in a while..........

haha
so back on topic .. so no one has ever gotten sick from there pet snake before? or know of any one that has?

the only health issue i've suffered from keeping snakes in my room is a lack of sleep. my coastal likes to go wandering around her enclosure at night and makes a bit of noise with the fake plants rustling and the branches creaking.

Tell your mum she's a panic merchant and that all the guys on the forum said there's no problem so it must be true. Keep it clean you'll be fine.

thanks.
john

:lol: I havent read the replies yet so if I've repeated anyone else's ideas, well done for 2 minds think alike.

But reps in bedroom can cause insomnia, and compulsive obsessive disorder. Loss of desire for your partner because you're too obsessed with the enclosure - tiredness all day long due to lack of sleep at night :p caused by spending all night long watching your herp :lol:

The only time I've been sick because of my snake is when it escaped and I couldn't find it. I was sick with worry.

look up zoonotic diseases. they transfer from animal to human. these are the only ones to really worry about. they wont even come about if you remember the word hygene religiously! just clean everything once they defecate and spill water etc. thats about it :p except for diseases that can be spread from animal to animal from poor hygene and not washing/disinfecting hands after holding. hope that helps!
regards,

Nat ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back