your opinion on lizard pellets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It can take weeks, not just days, but even so that is not what you said (or others, lol) - you stated "once". Converting a lizard to the crumbles is much like converting a seed eating parrot to pellets - it's not always easy and can take various approaches and patience.

You're the only one I quoted because your post was at the end and convenient; it's an informative post for others, not an 'attack' on you or your practices.

i said once as i never tried it after that and it was trialed over a few consecutive days. i tired a few different methods and only offered them pellets or pellets mixed with food they refused so i went back to feeding them what i normally do.

p.s i have brids and they eat seed and as soon as i introduced pellets they ate within secounds. birds are easier to convert.

no offence taken i am just having one of them days.

Ive taken this info from the Vetafarm website. Looks like the herpetolgical equivalent to McDonalds to me. Certainly would not think grains are suitable as a primary source of food for monitors:

Herpavet Lizard Food is a fully extruded and complete balanced diet designed for blue tongues, shingle backs and monitors.
Also suitable for Bearded Dragons
Herpavet Lizard Food contains Australian Mutton Bird oil, which has an attractive taste for lizards.

* Less fuss
* Better value for money

Directions:
Make available at all times as the primary source of food. Fresh Fruit and Vegetable may also be given for dietary variety.

Ingredients:
Fresh Grains: Wheat, Soybean
Vitamins: A, B6, B12, C, D3, E & H
Minerals: Calcium, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Selenium & Zinc.
Amino Acids: Methionine & Lysine, Natural Oils and dehydrated meat

Active Constituents:
Crude fibre 4%
Crude fat 13%
Protein 34%
Max Salt 0.5%

Last edited:
My bluies didn't touch it until I crushed it up and made a powder to coat their food now they love it:)

Ive taken this info from the Vetafarm website. Looks like the herpetolgical equivalent to McDonalds to me. Certainly would think not think grains are suitable as a primary source of food for monitors:

Herpavet Lizard Food is a fully extruded and complete balanced diet designed for blue tongues, shingle backs and monitors.
Herpavet Lizard Food contains Australian Mutton Bird oil, which has an attractive taste for lizards.

* Less fuss
* Better value for money

Directions:
Make available at all times as the primary source of food. Fresh Fruit and Vegetable may also be given for dietary variety.

Ingredients:

Active Constituents:
Crude fibre 4%
Crude fat 13%
Protein 34%
Max Salt 0.5%

They are nearly all like that, total rubbish, why you would want to convert your lizards onto them is anybodys guess.

Ive taken this info from the Vetafarm website. Looks like the herpetolgical equivalent to McDonalds to me. Certainly would not think grains are suitable as a primary source of food for monitors:

* Less fuss
* Better value for money

Directions:

Ingredients:

Active Constituents:
Crude fibre 4%
Crude fat 13%
Protein 34%
Max Salt 0.5%

Vetafarm have made this food specifically for lizards (bluies, monitors etc).
From what I've been told, they have made the pellets based on what the animal needs ( aka nutritional requirements) and have used different products to obtain that requirement.
Just because the ingredients aren't in the animals normal diet, doesn't mean that the pellets are junkfood.
In my opinion the pellets would be better for a bluie than what most people feed them....wet dog food.....

They are currently working on a Beardie specific pellet and I look forward to using it.

Vetafarm have made this food specifically for lizards (bluies, monitors etc).
From what I've been told, they have made the pellets based on what the animal needs ( aka nutritional requirements) and have used different products to obtain that requirement.
Just because the ingredients aren't in the animals normal diet, doesn't mean that the pellets are junkfood.
In my opinion the pellets would be better for a bluie than what most people feed them....wet dog food.....

They are currently working on a Beardie specific pellet and I look forward to using it.

Yep, that's what the makers of dog food say about every dog food on the market too, doesn't make any of it good food. Our local reptile vet doesn't believe even the best pellets should be fed as a staple. The top ingredients are wheat and soy, please tell me the nutritional benefits of these for lizards (especially monitors)

They work, all my large blueys and shinglebacks eat them
I have noticed an increase in growth since using them too
primary food source no, however if you always keep some in the tank they do slowly eat them.
so pellets along with fruit/veggies and little bits of chopped raw meats and whatever else you want to add for skinks i cannot see the bad thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back