Your Royal Majesty Rat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kidsheart

Reaction score
Seriously, Are these frozen pests we feed our snakes fed on caviar and lobster? are they housed in deluxe mansions with ocean view spa's and personal waiters? Are they a hard to breed, endangered species? are they even good enough to eat ourselves???
then why the hell do pet shops charge us so much for the things!!!
the things seem to get more and more and more expensive, yet i can buy a whole bbq chicken with change and feed half a family with it for the price of an xxl rat.
its crazy.

well said mate im sure some one on here could help you out, plenty of people breed them due for that reason

LMAO, that's why you gotta breed em yourself champ...it's disgusting the mark up on a rat and because most people don't breed their own, they are making a killing because of the demand! If you do the math...which I haven't but mates have, you will be surprised at how much you will save, even more if you feed your rats on scrap fruit & veg you get for free from the local shop, as well as stale bread rolls from the bakery, supplemented with a good pellet....:)

Seriously, Are these frozen pests we feed our snakes fed on caviar and lobster? are they housed in deluxe mansions with ocean view spa's and personal waiters? Are they a hard to breed, endangered species? are they even good enough to eat ourselves???
then why the hell do pet shops charge us so much for the things!!!
the things seem to get more and more and more expensive, yet i can buy a whole bbq chicken with change and feed half a family with it for the price of an xxl rat.
its crazy.

yeah its a joke. i was breeding my own mice, but nothing i own now eats anything that small, and im not super keen on breeding rats, although im starting to have a change of tone on that side of things. haha. yeah i can imagine the savings would be pretty huge

LMAO, that's why you gotta breed em yourself champ...it's disgusting the mark up on a rat and because most people don't breed their own, they are making a killing because of the demand! If you do the math...which I haven't but mates have, you will be surprised at how much you will save, even more if you feed your rats on scrap fruit & veg you get for free from the local shop, as well as stale bread rolls from the bakery, supplemented with a good pellet....:)

Yeah its amazing how much you save breeding your own. There is no way in hell it is economical for a person with a medium to large collection to by petshop rats or even those Pieces bags of rats. No word of a lie, my local petshop charges $20 per adult rat. The profit they must make just from selling frozen rodents must be massive, considering ours is an ever growing hobby.

hahahahahaha,....good call!!

last time i bought petshop rats it was a bag of 3 'large' (weighing about 120g each) for $37!!!

check out the for sale section, people are always selling their excess rats for pretty cheap,....im a wuss, i couldnt kill them myself. :p

you can say the same about crickets and other feeder insects. bloody 8.50 for a box of probably 20 crickets.

if your lucky youll get some for 4 bucks.. which is fair... but 8.50 no wayyy

You could run chooks and then with the money you save on eggs you'd be able to afford rats. Better still grow vegies, They cost nothing to grow but heaps to buy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha, who eats that many eggs! lol

You could run chooks and then with the money you save on eggs you'd be able to afford rats. Better still grow veges, They cost nothing to grow but heaps to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back