Your thoughts on exotics not being allowed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It funny that even such an over used thread gets so many comments. And threads I made specially, as there was no other threads like it get no comments.:|

It funny that even such an over used thread gets so many comments. And threads I made specially, as there was no other threads like it get no comments.:|

Ahaha, happened to me recently, in the DIY section asking for tips with the enclosure project I am working on :p. Got plenty of views, but no comments :?

and the list goes on
insects
sheep
chickens
cows
dogs
indian miner birds
other birds
pigeons
rats/ mice
humans

I don't think we should allow them but I also feel their potential impact on Australian ecosystems is highly exaggerated.
We have exotic hobby pets such as birds, fish,guinea pigs, ducks, chickens etc....when have you ever seen them out fighting native species for food or shelter?
Apart from hazlewood pondage which is a man made pond which had only introduced natives., I can't think of any other location in Australia which has had an impact by way of "taking over".

It's funny how people here would dob in a kid down the road with a corn snake but "ohhh and arrrhhh" over hybrid threads which are also illegal to knowingly breed in some states.
It seems if the majority are doing it or feel okay with it we can break certain license conditions.

I still think the regular reptile lisence needs to be harder to get to stop these "F tards" as you would put it, from getting reptiles and not be able to meet there basic requirements. It is to common for me to go on YouTube and find these people keeping beardies in 2 foot long "tubs" and thinking its fine and being to ignorant to listen to advise. Rant over!

or limit numbers to 2 for the first year or so.

Or just not go there at all, which is what will happen so it's irrelevant.

- - - Updated - - -

and the list goes on
insects
sheep
chickens
cows
dogs
indian miner birds
other birds
pigeons
rats/ mice
humans
Not sure if sheep and chickens have established themselves as a a feral species
threatening our environment. Although watching footage of "When sheep and chickens go bad" would be entertaining.

I don't think we should allow them but I also feel their potential impact on Australian ecosystems is highly exaggerated.
We have exotic hobby pets such as birds, fish,guinea pigs, ducks, chickens etc....when have you ever seen them out fighting native species for food or shelter?
Apart from hazlewood pondage which is a man made pond which had only introduced natives., I can't think of any other location in Australia which has had an impact by way of "taking over".

It's funny how people here would dob in a kid down the road with a corn snake but "ohhh and arrrhhh" over hybrid threads which are also illegal to knowingly breed in some states.
It seems if the majority are doing it or feel okay with it we can break certain license conditions.

Actually I hate Hybrids, also a lot of pets have gone feral like Cats, dogs, camals, pigs, goat, and yes fish have gone feral and destroyed ecosystems, examples of this are the tilapia. So before going on a rant about how these animals did not effect the Australian ecosystems think about the ones who have.

I find it amusing people would love venomous exotics or large pythons like retics, burmese etc when so many newbies can't even handle a hatchie jungle for example thats a little bitey :lol: and need snakes that "handle well" because they want a snake that they can "pet & snuggle" like a puppy.

Apart from the usual reasons not to allow exotics here, the first thing that would happen is some idiot (and they're in huge supply) would get a cuddly retic that grows big enough to constrict the life out of their inexperienced owner and the media would have a field day criminalising all snakes and all keepers as irresponsible idiots and the call to ban all or most reptiles would be in every newspaper, rubbish "news" tv show (which includes them all) and all keepers would suffer because of some fool. In fact it's surprised me that no ones been killed (yet) by their illegally held exotics here already.

I also think its ludicrous that vens are so easily obtained by inexperienced keepers in some states who would have difficulty handling a 5-6 foot feisty carpet python. There's already enough problems here now without making exotics legal and available to irresponsible half wits. Keep exotics illegal.

Doesn't really matter either way, people will and do keep exotics just as easily as natives

True, but do we really want to encourage this by making them legal and available to more impulse buyers that probably shouldn't really be keeping any reptiles in the first place? Personally I don't think so..

i still dont see how a leopard gecko or Chameleon's could hurt our eco system, for one they wouldn't even last our winter and even by some magical chance they managed to to find a mate in one of the biggest country's in the world i doubt they would be able to start self contained colony for more than a year and even if they did what would the damage be to our wildlife ?, all of the pests people have mentioned have multiple litters per year, ravage plants and kill wildlife thats why they have taken off eg, carp, camels, fox's, rabbits, feral dogs, pigs, rats/mice and the cain toad.

The biggest threat to our flora and fauna is us humans bulldozing kilometers of bush land for new suburbs and roads squashing, running over and making animals retreat deeper in to bushland till we eventually need that land for houses, not a leopard gecko, dose any one actually think the dse here in melb actually use our rego money for good or to help out native wildlife.....please, i remember but cant quote seeing on this site a study saying that us humans are responsible for some 40 million deaths of reptiles in the last 20-30 years due to land clearing, now once again compare that to a introduced gecko and your argument sounds silly

^^^^^

If you permit say chameleons as an easy example, you have created a precedent under federal law
That precedent could be used to force the legal importation of virtually any other reptile

In Bali we were called to remove a bloody rattle snake from Gianyar
Near Changu there is a population of King snakes busily killing all the small snakes up there
In Surabaya they killed 2 green mambas
Jakarta 2 Gaboon vipers
Medan snake owner killed by black mamba
Any day I can buy pirhana, anacondas, gardhals, rattlers, mambas, bushmasters, vipers etc etc
All legal and above board here but ecological disasters waiting to happen

Its easy to point fingers and blame mining companies etc and most of those arguments regarding reptile deaths are correct
But just because they have done and continue to do this cannot be used to justify either legal or illegal imports of exotics

Without tough import/export laws Aus reptiles would be in in a much worse state

Should we allow exotics into Australia? Exotic reptiles No, Exotic woman yes

all reptiles to be micro chipped and council rego. and if found off premises a minemum of $2,000 fine which would go towards saving and conserving australian native fauna and flora. and if a reptile escaped from same owner after 3rd time loss of licence for life. but i guess the risk of them getting out and breeding and causing damage is to much. if only we could insert GPS trackers with their micro chip would make it easier.
Do you have any idea what the current micro chips look like under a reptiles skin? It's disgusting IMO it looks like they have a parasite under there skin I personally wouldn't want to do it to any reptile

importation restrictions are a good thing... we have over supply's of natives, imagine what would happen if we had exotics here as well... OVER KILL galore!!

Exportation on the other hand... I wish the law was different, with export we might be able to curve some of the over supply, ease the pressure on the Australian industry by being able to export overseas.

Do you have any idea what the current micro chips look like under a reptiles skin? It's disgusting IMO it looks like they have a parasite under there skin I personally wouldn't want to do it to any reptile

yes i know it aint nice but only suggesting it on imports. little price to pay if you really want an import.

- - - Updated - - -

I find it amusing people would love venomous exotics or large pythons like retics, burmese etc when so many newbies can't even handle a hatchie jungle for example thats a little bitey :lol: and need snakes that "handle well" because they want a snake that they can "pet & snuggle" like a puppy.

Apart from the usual reasons not to allow exotics here, the first thing that would happen is some idiot (and they're in huge supply) would get a cuddly retic that grows big enough to constrict the life out of their inexperienced owner and the media would have a field day criminalising all snakes and all keepers as irresponsible idiots and the call to ban all or most reptiles would be in every newspaper, rubbish "news" tv show (which includes them all) and all keepers would suffer because of some fool. In fact it's surprised me that no ones been killed (yet) by their illegally held exotics here already.

I also think its ludicrous that vens are so easily obtained by inexperienced keepers in some states who would have difficulty handling a 5-6 foot feisty carpet python. There's already enough problems here now without making exotics legal and available to irresponsible half wits. Keep exotics illegal.

i don't agree with exotic vens being legal and i agree some states make it too easliy to obtain. and yes their are alot of half wits out there that should not even own a bug let alone a reptile. but the good keepers who have never had an animal escape and are experienced handling an agressive fully grown python such as a scrub, olive, coastal, blackhead ect should be allowed under strict restrictions and laws.

Some people will always want what they can't have. Personally, when we have so many stunning reptiles here in Australia I don't understand why people can't be grateful for what they can have. We are the envy of most other countries, let's not stuff that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back