Your thoughts plz.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it possible that the snake is happy living like this? I, too, have heard of people letting olives free range their house for years without a problem. If the animals needs are being met, and it is behaving normally, and precautions have been taken to ensure it can't easily hurt itself or escape, then what's the big deal? We keep our animals the way we do - in enclosures, with supervised heat sources, and regular disease-free pre-frozen food intake - because it is commonly known to be the safest way to keep snakes, but does that mean it should be the only way? It might be an accident waiting to happy, or it might lead to a long happy alternative snakey-lifestyle.

I'm not saying that I'd let my snakes free-roam the house with the dogs, but I'd be happy to stay open-minded about the possibilities of the animals not being in cages all the time...

i am not denying this snake anything that it would not get in the wild...!!
so your feeding it live rats and birds and that ? because i dont think the " in the wild " snakes get to have defrosted rats .
at the end of the day i know your not even going to take the advice of the pepole saying its not a good idea . so why say anything in the first place ? now lets see if we can get this thread to atleast 4 pages of crap - cause i still have plenty of popcorn .

Isn't it possible that the snake is happy living like this? I, too, have heard of people letting olives free range their house for years without a problem. If the animals needs are being met, and it is behaving normally, and precautions have been taken to ensure it can't easily hurt itself or escape, then what's the big deal? We keep our animals the way we do - in enclosures, with supervised heat sources, and regular disease-free pre-frozen food intake - because it is commonly known to be the safest way to keep snakes, but does that mean it should be the only way? It might be an accident waiting to happy, or it might lead to a long happy alternative snakey-lifestyle.

I'm not saying that I'd let my snakes free-roam the house with the dogs, but I'd be happy to stay open-minded about the possibilities of the animals not being in cages all the time...

But Kristy, if the snake was happy and content it wouldn't be regurgitating its meals.

i dont think anyone would disagree with leting a snake out every now and again , but this isnt what sleek_snake is saying , the snake is out all the time .

But Kristy, if the snake was happy and content it wouldn't be regurgitating its meals.

You're right, I hadn't thought of that part. Possible that it ate, went back to it's "domain" and felt too cold? One regurged is an indicator of something, but not necessarily of its habitat, right? Bad rat, ready to brumate but took a rat anyway, some kind of stress?

Zoojas - I'm of the understanding he has it out all the time as well, but like I said, if the animal's behaviour is normal for the most part, wouldn't that indicate that it's not unhappy?

I'm not saying it's the BEST way to keep a snake, or the MOST responsible way. All I mean is that, just because it's not the best way, doesn't mean it's the wrong way.... Maybe ;) I'm allowed to change my mind if I like by the time we get to page 4 :lol:

You're right, I hadn't thought of that part. Possible that it ate, went back to it's "domain" and felt too cold? One regurged is an indicator of something, but not necessarily of its habitat, right? Bad rat, ready to brumate but took a rat anyway, some kind of stress?

Yes, the problem is that it isn't getting the heat it requires to create energy and live 'comfortably', without this energy it cannot digest its meals which will either be regurgitated or go rotten in the snakes stomach and eventually kill it. Taking the snake out in the sun each day for a short period of time is not giving it the heat that it needed to be healthy.

There is just so much that can go wrong allowing a snake to free roam the house especially when there are other animals involved. Yes we make think that we can trust them to behave together but they are animals and we never know just what they are thinking....

What is a "happy snake"? What makes a snake happy? Aren't we bit anthropomorphic here?
It's similar to discussion on snake intelligence ...... oh, time for a glass of red and out of here. ;)

what you do with your snake is up to you,under licencing though a requirement is a snake should be kept securely in a suitably sized enclosure.
why not at least have an enclosure for it which you can keep it in when your out or cant supervise or through out the winter ,but at other times allow it to roam free.
dont leave it unsupervised in a back yard.
During winter i wouldnt let it free roam at all,the massive temperature variations it will be exposed to are not normal for the snake.
Im all for free roaming to an extent at the right time of the seasonfor that species

now back to the torrent of hate from the APS lynch mob
instead of a glass of red though i might have a bourbon or rum

Well, there you are. I can see a good article on all this in Scales & Tails titled Domestication of pythons or dog & carpet - friends forever. Give it a go.

Sitting here, pencil poised, sipping a good glass of red, and looking for an interesting story......

The snake and the dog may 'get along' for now, but what happens if the snake kills the dog, or the other way around? If that happens someone may dob you in and you can say goodbye to your licence and your snake.

i dont think i could ever let my snakes free roam...for one thing my Amstaff would kill it or vice a versa .....and second i wouldnt see it again...it would take off...remember they are wild animals....its not thinking of you as its owner...it thinks of you as another animal that lives in the same area.....if you gave it a chance it would be gone.....i mean each to their own but i care more bout my animals to do it

....its not thinking of you as its owner...it thinks of you as another animal that lives in the same area....

Owner? My snakes think of me as their Master. Anyone else walks pass the cages, they hiss and strike, when I walk pass, they crap. You have to establish authority, assert yourself in every situation and demand obedience. Hell, I am not some another animal living in the same area! The buggers should pay rent. Remember, herpetology is a discipline.

hi Sleek-Snake, not sure where you live, but have you ever thought about an outdoor enclosure with an 'indoor' component? you could even position it close to your bedroom, and make it accessible by a thick pvc pipe or such (make a hole in window), so that she can get in/out from bedroom to outdoor enclosure via her "overpass" while you are not home, just like a cat would..

im sure she will be happy whatever you decide.. after such a bad ordeal I am sure that she is very grateful for her "freedom"..
Good luck with your spoilt little darling girl...

And I'm all up for a bourbon too.. but couldnt afford a bottle (most of my money goes to my pets) so Im sitting here with a glass of cheap white .... oh poor me... bahahahaha!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back