Your views on feeding between cooling and laying???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishead

Reaction score
Howdy, some guys feed their girly pythons between cooling and laying and some don't.
What are all of your views on this subject?

I wouldn't even bother trying, would just be a waste of a rat because 9 times out of 10 they just wouldn't eat it.

And i have heard that it can have negative effects on the eggs.

My opinion is that if it takes the food then let it, if it doesnt then it doesnt...

I think most breeders in the States fed their females weekly during this time Steve, Greg Maxwell certainly does with his girly chondros. Most of my carpet girls feed during this time, but a few are a bit disinterested... Photos coming by the way (so's Xmas lol...)

Jamie.

Thanks Jamie and co, I know Doc Rock and a lot of others don't and think I remember reading one of TB's posts where he does - with the heat on of course.
I haven't tried feeding after cooling myself but have been considering trying it with my bredli this season seeing as they actually lay so damn late.
Was just curious is all.

yeah i feed all my females thru out cooling and mating, i give them acsess to heat 24/7 when they have fed thou, but they will still spend a lot of time on the cold side.
When they refuse food its normally one of the first signs that they have conceived.
It actually helps with egg production imo, not hinders it, as most of the food is used to produce eggs and there fore very little fat reserve is needed and the animals tend to be in rather good condition once they have layed compared to females that dont feed during this time and need to use their fat reserves to produce eggs. Works for me with all species of python that i breed.

I agree with TB here - egg production is such a big business for female snakes. If you give them access to day heat they won't have any major problems if fed during this time. And as TB says, the reluctance to feed is often the first sign that the snake is gravid. In my experience,very few snakes will feed right through the breeding cycle (there are always exceptions to every rule though!)

Jamie

l AGREE with trueblue plus CHOICE is a wunderfull thing 90% of my 30 odd females choose to eat...there should be a few herpers swap places with their herps mmmm that would be interesting

It's all good if it works for you to keep feeding but I never do it . IMO the snakes are too busy worrying about eating and not breeding.

Some snakes you could do anything to them and they will still produce eggs, but with flighty / wild snakes, eg wa stimmys, wa bhps and most Jungles ect, they just won't settle down.

At the end of the day Steve do what ever works for you !

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back