Yellow BHP's, i want one, What do you know...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to house together at some time to breed them.
If you have had them for any amount of time you will understand thier habits, & this BS about snakes eating each other take it or leave it. Use your own intelligence, a snake the same size will not eat another the same. The problem comes when feeding as both snakes are honed in & want the same food.

Cheers
Ian

Might want check out a few references Ian...snakes the same size will eat each other on occasion

Eg Gow 1989 etc there is a photo of a couple of death adders in there that had that very issue

Might want check out a few references Ian...snakes the same size will eat each other on occasion

Eg Gow 1989 etc there is a photo of a couple of death adders in there that had that very issue

Mate yah i have seen all the references & had some shown to me, but what i mean to do is generalise.
From all the snakes housed together all over the world, how many eat each other?????

My experience tells me that this can & could possibly happen, BUT mostley at feed time when two snakes atempt to eat the same food or are in a frenzy strike at food time. GET REAL.
Have you seen the comic of one snake eating the other. It is about as real. Yes you can put up the odd pic just like Doc Rock has shown me & what i say is that it is just mismanagement.
Just my opinion.

Back to the mian stream i reckon that any one that can claim that thier BHP will stay yellow, should be asking more money.
Take your pick of any of the well known breeders, they all have yellow type snakes. Just take your pick of the most yellow.

When you know what you have , then you can make a descision on what to breed with it, bugger me dead its not yellow anymore.
Just go all out & buy a Bumble Bee.

Cheers
Ian

In all honesty, if you want a bhp that will stay yellow, get onto Kel @ Pythons1 a sponsor on this site.
He breeds a class of bhps that are & do keep thier yellow colour.

If you want to to talk other bhps, there is a whole maze out there in the near future. Some people have proven thier lines like Sonnenmans & thier lines have proved better sellers & higher price than others due to this fact.
If other people can prove thier lines & let there be a flow on effect like Sonnenmans, bring it on.

Last edited:
If you have had them for any amount of time you will understand thier habits, & this BS about snakes eating each other take it or leave it. Use your own intelligence, a snake the same size will not eat another the same. The problem comes when feeding as both snakes are honed in & want the same food.

Cheers
Ian

Well really
on the breeding, who would have thought?

I said I wouldn't risk housing them together. I wouldn't, it is a risk, it happens.
Not worth the price of a second enclosure.

So what you are saying is that it is bull fecal matter in one post and in another it can happen... So would you say that it can occur or not?

Bhp's do eat reptiles, most reptiles can be opportunistic when it comes to food. There is an element of risk. This can be minimized by experience but to say it is a load of ... And it basically does not occur is incorrect.

Cheers
Scott

Look, im not going to house then together. I must agree, there is a risk, and it could happen, that's that.
Anywho back to yellow bhps. Any one know some nice ones getting around would love to see some pictures and would be stoked if anyone knows of any clutches of yellows coming up pr any for sale...

Cheers
Ian

Sorry Ian but this is incorrect!
We had an adult male eat an adult female about 4 years ago!
Placing together during brumation for matings is the only time they should be housed together.

Sorry Ian but this is incorrect!
We had an adult male eat an adult female about 4 years ago!
Placing together during brumation for matings is the only time they should be housed together.

I am certainly not disputing the facts, but i would love to hear more on these stories.
When one ate the other, were they the same size?
Was it at feed time or shortly after?
Were they just sitting together & one decided that it was hungry & ate the other?
Was one normally more dominant than the other?
Were they the same species?
I think that all these questions need to be adressed before a blanket statement can be made is all that i am saying.
I am just curious & would love to know more rather than just one ate the other. Maybe a new thread to avoid hijacking this one.

Cheers
Ian

I am certainly not disputing the facts, but i would love to hear more on these stories.
When one ate the other, were they the same size?
Was it at feed time or shortly after?
Were they just sitting together & one decided that it was hungry & ate the other?
Was one normally more dominant than the other?
Were they the same species?
I think that all these questions need to be adressed before a blanket statement can be made is all that i am saying.
I am just curious & would love to know more rather than just one ate the other. Maybe a new thread to avoid hijacking this one.

Cheers
Ian

The snakes in question were both between 6-7 feet long BHP's, were well fed and at the start of brumation (very early stages) refusing feed at the time because of this cycle. There were no dominance issues that presented them selves at all.

One morning we did the usual checks and the wife found that the male had consumed the female. Very hard lesson learnt.( they were the wifes snakes and she wanted to keep them together despite my warnings about their natural behaviours)

They are indeed eaters of their own kind and if you do understand the Aspidites breed in general you will realise this is the case and should never house them together at any time apart from matings.

Last edited:
Looks good Rob,

I just started a thread to cover the housing together issue & sorry maybe i was misunderstood, i was not refering to BHPs alone but more all species in general.

cheers
Ian

I have only seen pics of the bumblebees as adults that stay yellow.. are there any others?
All the hatches I have seen that are really nice turn into brown adults.

I have only seen pics of the bumblebees as adults that stay yellow.. are there any others?
All the hatches I have seen that are really nice turn into brown adults.

As i said earlier Kel Worely has a great line of yellow type BHPs that tend to retain the yellow well into maturaty.
He is not the only one but just the first name that came to mind & i can vouch for his ochre line keeping the yellow colour.

Cheers
Ian

As i said earlier Kel Worely has a great line of yellow type BHPs that tend to retain the yellow well into maturaty.
He is not the only one but just the first name that came to mind & i can vouch for his ochre line keeping the yellow colour.

Cheers
Ian

Fair enough.. I will see if I can hunt down some pics

Yep, witnessed it with BHPs

Cheers
Sandee :)

Mine isn't anything like your Bumble Bee's Dave and I'm not saying it is, to be honest I din't even think I was refering to it either...:rolleyes: I didn't know I had to be so politically correct.. It's just a female I got off Den this year that is simply yellower than normal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back