Yoda!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
His temps are good. Basking temp is sitting at 37C and he loves to hang out there. Feeding is going great. This morning he had 30 crickets, about 15 woodies all dusted with calcium powder. He's starting to eat more greens and he especially likes dandelions - greens and flowers i have also offered a commercial bearded dragon food mixed with greens. I just thought it wouldn't hurt and he needs all the help he can get.
Someone else was saying that he could be Rankins Dragon. I guess only time will tell. I'm going to keep a diary and weigh him every week just to keep an eye on what's happeneing with him

He is not a rankins dragon, definately a vitticeps. Just keep the food and temps up, I am sure he will come along fine. P. henrylawsonii were known as Rankins dragons, although this name is rarely used anymore and it is more often referred to as a pygmy beardy.

Last edited:
I'm really new to dragons so when someone said Yoda could be a Rankins, it really means nothing to me.
When we started looking at dragons, the shop had 2 enclosure with babies. One was marked as northern and the other as eastern. But when l actually purchased him, the logbook says Central Bearded Dragon - Pogona Vitticeps and that's what been written in my logbook too. When l queried it they said that he is definately a Central.
Yoda had dinner, again 30 crickets and 10 woodies (small), as well as greens and commercial dragon food. I can't believe how much he eats and quick... oh my gosh. He likes to swim in his water dish too ( i used a soap dish for his water dish as well as his food. It's barely 2cms deep so l really don't think he would drown, he can get in and out of it very easily.

I'm really new to dragons so when someone said Yoda could be a Rankins, it really means nothing to me.
When we started looking at dragons, the shop had 2 enclosure with babies. One was marked as northern and the other as eastern. But when l actually purchased him, the logbook says Central Bearded Dragon - Pogona Vitticeps and that's what been written in my logbook too. When l queried it they said that he is definately a Central.
Yoda had dinner, again 30 crickets and 10 woodies (small), as well as greens and commercial dragon food. I can't believe how much he eats and quick... oh my gosh. He likes to swim in his water dish too ( i used a soap dish for his water dish as well as his food. It's barely 2cms deep so l really don't think he would drown, he can get in and out of it very easily.

Sounds like he's got a hollow tail. ROFL he's greedy isn't he.

Wonder how much fun he would have tackling a lively big grasshopper as an occasional treat , bet he'd be fun watching catch and dispatch and eating it.

My baby Nimrod is supposedly 6 months too. That's what the pet store said. He was 13cm long when I got him 2 weeks ago, and now he's 15cm already. Just keep feeding him up and he'll keep growing! Maybe we could have ours a play date some time? :)

PS. Mine was going to be called Yoda (he was for a few days), because he used to wave at me all the time (use the force wave).. but decided on Nimrod.. good thing too.. too many Yoda's on here.. lol.

Oh and food-wise he went through 2 tubs of small crickets last week.. so I decided to try him on mediums this time.. :)

I'm very dissappointed..... with all the bugs and greens that Yoda has eaten (absolute piggy) he has no put on any weight....In 6 days we have gone thur 3 boxes of crickets and 2 boxes of woodie plus greens and fruit 3 times a day.. well, i guess at least he hasn't lost any weight. At our local pestock store, l can only get mealworms, woodies and crickets. Is there anyware that l can buy other bugs and have them shipped.. mayby some worms of some description.. and before anyone says anything No l haven't fed mealworms because l was reading somewhere they are no good for beardies.

Aimees are you in Vic?

Yeah in Geelong! :) i noticed ur in Melbourne so not tooo far.. unless ur on the other side lol.. I'm on the far side of geelong though (Highton).

I haven't weighed my baby.. try measuring his length.. they grow quite noticeably.. yours eats tonnes! LOL Mine LOVES BokChoy!

Another random note.. I was wondering what the standard body to tail ratio is for baby beardies? I think mine is missing some of his tail (they all were at the pet store) and I was wondering how much?

Thanks! :)

WoooooHoooooo.... Yoda put on 2 grams, he's now a massive 16gram and 7 1/2 inches

If you decide you want to get rid of Yoda, I'd love to adopt him....

How many crickets or roaches do you feed him and how often ?

Does Yoda go nutz after a feed ? My little friend does.

Trying to judge a reasonable supplimentary diet for my little gal who's a few inches bigger than Yoda and is a water skink and is really cute too.

Last edited:
Sorry but Yoda isn't going anyware. We've only had him for 9 days but already he is a huge part of our family. The first thing the kids do when they get up is go and say good morning and the last thing is good night. Even our puppy has been bumped to 2nd place :) . He eatsabout 30 to 40 crickets and about 15 woodies, twice a day. I also make up a salad and l also offer a commercial dragon food mixed with a little apple or pear puree. When l get the crickets, i use a plastic bag and when Yoda sees me coming with the bag, he kind of paces. i think if he could beg, he would..His underbelly is starting to go a milky colour so l am guessing he's going to shed before long. Not sure about water skinks, there where 2 off them at the petshop when we got Yoda, they were about his size.

My little guy is about 16cm (6 1/2 inches) now.. seems like it's going to be a growing competition lol.. :p

Doesn't help that my little guy is missing some tail... he could still win though lol.. first to 30cm?? :D

Also how do you find the commercial dragon food? I'm yet to try it..

Im actually in Traralgon which is 2 hours east of Melbourne (where the power stations are)
commercial dragon food seems to be a winner, i soak it in a little apple juice and then mix it with his greens. He will eat his greens from my finger but doesn't like the food bowl.... mayne because when l hold my finger near him, l shake a little.....which is kinda dangerous in a funny way. He decided to try the end of my finger and man he had a grip.. l didn't think that he's be able to chow down on my finger like that.
Yep first to 30 cms

Oh my gosh.... Yoda is now 19 grams and just on 8 inches.... he's growing like a worm.

Last edited:
He eatsabout 30 to 40 crickets and about 15 woodies, twice a day. I also make up a salad and l also offer a commercial dragon food mixed with a little apple or pear puree.

Yipes. I never realised beardies ate that much. How big are these crickets?

Hey my guy does that too! He wont touch food on his plate but will happily eat off my finger.. how strange..

I calculated how big my bub would be without some of his tail missing and it's 8.8inches........... WOW!

Maybe we should compete for nose to base of tail length instead lol.... More even.. Nimrod is 9cm atm.. first to 15cm lol? :p

cool, sounds good. I've measure Yoda tomorrow. He is a little cranky tonight, decided not to eat his greens but my finger instead.... several times

LOL that's funny. Nims has never bitten me. Maybe I just don't taste good.. :p

Yoda has his first shed today. He was really grumpy but a bath seemed to sooth him a little. Hi tail shed actually came off almost in 1 part

awesome... nims gets grumpy when shedding too.. it was nice weather once (when he was shedding) so i took him outside for some uv.. the little guy tried to run away.. :( Now im too scared to take him out.. Darn emotional shedding dragons.. :)

well, we got thru the shedding pretty well. Yoda didn't stop eating which was good. My 4 yr old was so sad. She just kept saying that Yoda's stuffing was coming out and crying. Awww how sweet.
He is still growing like a pig. 210mm long, sorry thats snout to tail tip, l forgot to measure to tail base but l will do that tomorrow. And he weighs a massive 25grams. Finally got enclosure temps sorted. Hubby changed the lights for me and now l run a basking light, heat emitter and a 10.0 uvb fluro tube. 26 degree at cool end and 38 in basking. They were higher but Yoda kept basking with a gaping mouth so l lowered temps and he's good now.

I wouldn't worry too much about the open mouth when basking. Nims does that occasionally and when I queried it on here they said it meant my temperature was great! I have a log that goes across horizontally so if the heat annoys him he can simply move away from the light a little bit.. :)

Glad that your little one is doing so good! :) My nims is almost at 18cm (snout to tail tip), he's still at 9cm body length. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back