Snake Handling Courses Poll

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which snake handling course would you recommend?

• Martin Baxter / Animalwise

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Geoff Coombe / Living with Wildlife

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Jonno Lucas / Educational Reptile Displays

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • Sean McCarthy / Snakehandlers

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Legally_Red

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Which would you recommend?

Martin Baxter / Animalwise
Geoff Coombe / Living with Wildlife
Jonno Lucas / Educational Reptile Displays
Sean McCarthy / Snakehandlers

Last edited by a moderator:
i've done the relocation course and the gecko course with jonno and geckodan. both where very imformative. I will definately be going to the python husbandry course with erd and den when it happens, and when i get the chance the vens husbandry course.

I've not attended anyone else's course so i can't comment on them.

An interesting poll....People usually only do one ven handling course, so how can they reasonably compare courses.....perhaps this survey will be a little biased given that ERD advertise on this site and non of the others have been seen lately, and that none of them offer discounts to APS subscribers!!!...perhaps a person should contact DSE and ask which courses are recognised in Victoria!!!

I had to remove one of your options. Yes, we are biased at APS. We choose not to promote this person in any way, shape or form.Thanks for your understanding in this matter.

Go Greebo, I'm sure everyone on this site would agree with this move :)

Dragon Lady - if ERD get enough of an enquiry rate from down here, you never know we could talk them into coming down !!! Maybe ....

Dear Greebo

I was not trying to promote anyone - I have never met and do not know any of the people I've listed. They are/were the only courses I have heard about or come across online/in print. I am nothing more than a herp novice trying to learn from other people's experiences to ensure I choose the best course. Since they all seem to cost a similar amount, I want to be sure I'll be learning at much as can be learnt from this kind of course before I hand over any hard-earned dollars.

I failed to receive much feedback from my earlier posting asking folk about their experiences with any courses they done, so was hoping a poll might tease out some more info from this unusually shy audience...

There may not be too many people who have done these courses who post regularly on this site.

I don't think Greebo was having a go at your, but his actions do reflect the general opinion held by members of this site of the people involved in that course.

There was mention somewhere one of them had come to Sydney. I must have blinked cause I can't remember anyone holding them in Sydney in the last few years for the general public......I know there is the interest from herpers, it seems just not enough from the those who run the courses. :(

Shame, it could be quite a money spinner for someone.

An interesting poll....People usually only do one ven handling course, so how can they reasonably compare courses.....perhaps this survey will be a little biased given that ERD advertise on this site and non of the others have been seen lately, and that none of them offer discounts to APS subscribers!!!...perhaps a person should contact DSE and ask which courses are recognised in Victoria!!!

We don't offer discounts to APS subscribers, but we do offer one to APS members - this is only a recent addition and very few APS members have participated in our courses for a discounted rate.

falconboy, i think that has more to do with the people who say they will be there and don't show up. Can't blame jonno for not confirming a seat before paying now.

I would be more than happy to pay for at least half as a deposit, maybe the full amount depending on costs. I'm sure 99% of participants would be happy to prepay a month or 2 ahead with a cancellation policy in place if not enough places are filled. Easy peasy.

For someone that would be travelling interstate to do the course, i would have no issue with paying in full up front and then like falconboy said if places are not filled the course doe snot go ahead and monies are refunded, easy.

But maybe not so easy is actually doing a course interstate, with the animals tools and displays required to do a course.

Mrs I

xxx

Just to clear up a point which keeps being raised ... I have spoken with the DSE, and they do not recommend any particular course, nor do they specify any course which they will not recognise. Their sole requirement is that you present written proof that you have completed a course - any course - and then you can apply for a snakecatcher's licence ("Wildlife Controller").

what course do u need to do in qld to relocate and keep vens ??

thanks

what course do u need to do in qld to relocate and keep vens ??

thanks

You need to complete the damage mitigation course, ERD does it, and you will need 2 stat decs to be able to relocate snakes.

As for keeping vens i'm not sure, but think you will need stat decs again stating you can carry out the needed husbandry and show that they will be housed in a manner that they can not escape their enclosure and the room they are in, or something like that. you will need to prove your experience with elapids to do any husbandry/handling course, something i'm working on now, so if i find out how to gain the experience without being bitten i'll let you know.

Someone with their vens licence will be able to confirm the requirements for keeping.

[Thanks for that mate, might have to get onto erd :).*so if i find out how to gain the experience without being bitten i'll let you know.*
LOL good luck with that one mate

cheers luke

quote=Ozzie Python;1103113]You need to complete the damage mitigation course, ERD does it, and you will need 2 stat decs to be able to relocate snakes.

As for keeping vens i'm not sure, but think you will need stat decs again stating you can carry out the needed husbandry and show that they will be housed in a manner that they can not escape their enclosure and the room they are in, or something like that. you will need to prove your experience with elapids to do any husbandry/handling course, something i'm working on now, so if i find out how to gain the experience without being bitten i'll let you know.

Someone with their vens licence will be able to confirm the requirements for keeping.[/quote]

I have recently emailed Geoff Coombe/ Living with wildlife as my partner & I would like to do his course. Dragon Lady, he is based at Williamstown. Not sure about cost or dates as yet. Waiting for a reply. Can anyone comment about Geoff's course?

i have done two different courses with Geoff Coombe, one being a venomous snake handling course and the other was a snake husbandry and breeding course and cannot recommend them enough for anyone in SA who would like to participate in and learn more about snakes. it was great to work with some of the snakes which had such bad reputations. defintely keep an eye out for them next time he does one as they fill up pretty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back