Snake Handling Courses Poll

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which snake handling course would you recommend?

• Martin Baxter / Animalwise

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Geoff Coombe / Living with Wildlife

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Jonno Lucas / Educational Reptile Displays

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • Sean McCarthy / Snakehandlers

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Geoff Coombe is one of very few people who I would recommend for any sort of wildlife based education.

Ok Thanks. We would like to do both courses, the vens mainly cos we are in an area where Tigers rule and the Browns & RRB are also very common. It would be nice to help out the neighbours and remove the snakes BEFORE they meet with the shovel!!

No matter what course you have done it all comes down to the decision of the parks n wildlife in qld they make the final dec even jonno will have to say that is correct doesnt matter if you have passed by the training course and have your 2 referees written on your paper QPW make the last decision.... and with a damage mit lic you have to update it every 6 months at the moment .so not as easy nor as fool proof as what people think and yes there is a good chance that even after paying all that money to do a course you wont get a license something else to think about ......

Redbellybite,

What you have tried to explain as new information is something we tell all course participants both before they book into the course and during the course. As we are not the EPA, of course we can not guarantee that the EPA will supply the permit. What we offer is the prerequisite experience required to obtain the permit. To date, everyone who has participated in our course and applied for a DMP has been awarded one.

cant answer that one jonno ,dont know all the peeps that have done your course but alot do presume ,that do the course get the license ---.and now you have said it too ....maybe more will realise not every tom dick and harry can get one... wasnt a shot at your business skills at all was stating a fact ..........I AM SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE i have my DML and know the hoops you have to jump through ......they are not handed out like licenses to have a pet python or lizard etc was m y point . REDBELLYBITE :)

After completing the course I did years ago I have not attended any other venomous handling courses other than those run by myself, as such all I mention to people about courses is where I teach them and recomend people contact their state licensing body as they have a list of providers in their state, I do not recomend another course nor will I ever NOT recomend another course, especially as I have not attended it. To me this is unprofessional and unethical.

I have heard many comments from people who have attended other courses in VIC, NSW, QLD, SA and WA, to me this is something that I have been told in confidence and is a personal opinion. One which I would never repeat.

In some states it is very hard to get a permit, especially QLD where it seems to depend on the district you live in as to how they will assess your application. All other states have a centralised system, making a consistant approach, this makes the process easier but the overall assesment for suitability is up to the licensing body.

IN QLD it is harder obviously then other states and they go on district too this i have been told is to help when releasing the snake back in the wild the snakes are let go in the radius that they were found in ,so even though I have an eastern brown snake from this area and we all know browns are common on the east coast i cant let it go out side the radius of the area i took it from so in my case i let the snakes go in the closest bush setting i can find that isnt to far from where i caught it from .......stops pooling ....and influx of snakes in 1 area .....even though i do tell the panicking person that i will be taking the snake way way away from their house legally I wont be but what they dont know wont hurt them..i always look for an appropiate place to suit the reptile to.redbellybite

I haven't done any courses & so can't take the poll but i'd be interested
to take a Python husbandry course in Sydney & particularly want to learn how to probe
for gender from someone experienced at it.

All states have a 2-5km radius (max.) for release of reptiles. Other states have requirement includes having a permit to keep venomous snakes, complete a course, get two references. In QLD it depends on the office, some say 2 references, others say 2 references and a course, others again say a course is enough, some offices say 2 independent references and a course. As I mentioned lack of consistancy. It has nothing to do with release of reptiles.

then that alone SNAKEHANDLER is why a novis who hasnt been trained in catching and relocating shouldnt be doing it because there is more to it then getting it into a bag ....before you release you are suppose to make sure it looks in good health& know where to relocate and some just have not a clue also in my case if i come across a snake that shouldnt be found in that area i cant release it back ,I have to get in touch with the right people to give them the snake and so on ........QLD does have tough DML laws because its not just about bagging a snake you have to have some knowledge about whats found in your area and whats not ...RBB

A person should be trained, I have never advocated no training, I stongly encourage a person to learn the skills before they touch any venomous snake, either as a pet or in the wild.......the comment I have made is in relation to inconsistancies in policy within QLD.

The release of snakes in any state of Australia have similar regulations, condition of the animal, endemic to area, 2-5km radius, etc etc etc...this should all be well and truely covered in any approved training program, which I have no doubt is covered in approved training programs regardless of who runs them. Please understand that I am not having a go at any other trainer, teacher or experienced handler who will endorse a permit application, I wish there was uniformity throughout the system...but there isnt and I was expressing my frustration at it.

well i do agree with that snakehandler ...........and hope that one day it does become like that too. rbb

i think i was at the same one as you fester! it was a great couple of days

Courses

Hi folks, new to this! I did a Animalwise course last year, it was great Martin nows his stuff, he used to catch and relocate in melb for years and I think he's been cathing up here for at least 10 years and he keeps a lot of stuff, It makes a difference being a teacher with lots of experience, I'll being doing another course soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back