Sporting shooters....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The old fella that i hunt deer with he only uses a 223 . he lived as a deer culler in nz and thats all he ever uses. there are that many different things out there and that many different oppinions. I am hopin to be goin chasin a few hogs tomorrow night and also shootin a few roos aswell Cant wait, havnt been hunting in 3 weeks!!!!!!!

my fave is 30/06 and a 22/250 i miss my guns but the missus dont like them so had to get rid of them. it was either the guns or the snakes ,so the guns went

cheap ammo

DEN.

this is a reply from your earlier post(1:50pm)

cheap ammo, 223 rounds cost me $14.50 for 20 rounds of PMC ammo(will get weight and pics tonight when i go to my firearms room)

and ammo for 270 costs me $16.50 for 20 rounds of PMC ammo(same again)

i have a friend who buys high powered military rounds so i will give him your email address if you like.

i also purchase winchester rounds for a slightly higher cost per box, and have previously bought Federal ammo for $20 a box.

i have found shooting donkeys, roo's, wild dog's / cat's that 223 is a very good allrounder, but the 270 is much flatter, same cost for rounds, packs a harder hit over a longer distance, so i prefer these two over my 308 for these type animals.

MAGPIE: yes cheap ammo!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have gone to gun shops that have tried to charge(rip me off) me $36 a box for exactly same product, most people around here pay about $22 to $26 a box, but i buy rounds x hundreds to save from future inflation.(currently have just under 9000 rounds)

buy a bow way more fun and a lot more rewarding... the deer in my profile picture was a culmination of weeks of hunting them and then a 3 hr crawl on my belly to get to 30m of him. nothing feels like getting that close to game and quickly and humanely ending its career. Also a lot of fun hunting big cranky boars in creek beds with only 2 ways they can go and you are in one of them;)

well JONES your the only one that got offensive in your answer , wasnt knocking the hunters was asking a few questions .Iam able to do that ,I live in a free country .......I also live in the bush and see what ferel and introduced animals do to the bush,was simply asking a few questions about what people felt and thought about shooting and if they kept trophys etc.........YOU would be one person I wouldnt like to go shooting with ,as your aggression seems you would be the type that wouldnt care if the animal was shot correctly or not ..........as far as the rest go thank you for answering.......

We do alot of deer tracking/hunting, sometimes just for photos, other times for meat. Yes if we get a stag with a good rack it is mounted.

30/30 Marlin for pigs is the way to go down this way, a compact rifle and the ammos cheap aswell. About the same price t0 reload as what it is for a box. You can get in amongst the scrub without to much hassle due to the size of the rifle. On the other hand my brother inlaw uses a 35 whelan pump action, he could probaly empty his before I have even run off 2 with the lever action :shock: Nice and quick.:lol:

For deer the wife uses a 300 mag, it has been balanced and ported with a rubber stock, ripper of a gun, nice and gentle on her so she can still get in the kitchen and do her thing:p I use a 300 WSM, bit more of a punch in that baby compared to the cooks but doe sthe job:D

Cheers Rob

I'm using a browning A bolt in 30/06, marlin 45/70xlr and remington pump carbine in 35 whelan on Sambar. You just can't have too much gun....
heading out into the alps again this weekend.

Wolf

Ta redcent, a .223 will be my first purchase!

Ok Smithy, Troy can drive;)

Ta for all the responses guys, I never knew there were so many keen shooters on this site.

i shoot a .308 bruno bolt action, it takes care of most things. also a .22 norinco, not to bad for a cheap .22.
doing the cat h process at the moment, can't wait for my licence to come for that.
hey den!, enjoy the shooting it is a great sport as well as the benefits to conservation.
cheers:)

well JONES your the only one that got offensive in your answer , wasnt knocking the hunters was asking a few questions .Iam able to do that ,I live in a free country .......I also live in the bush and see what ferel and introduced animals do to the bush,was simply asking a few questions about what people felt and thought about shooting and if they kept trophys etc.........YOU would be one person I wouldnt like to go shooting with ,as your aggression seems you would be the type that wouldnt care if the animal was shot correctly or not ..........as far as the rest go thank you for answering.......

I dont see how what i said was offensive to anyone? I think have answered the question of taking a kill shot correctly in my previous post quiete clearly.... It is actually a condition of your membership with SSAA.

I answered your question about what it was for me about shooting as you requested in your post fairly clearly i thought....

Anyways i dont want to get bogged down in a debate about the dispachting of ferals more than the next hunter.

hahah ok no worrys mate....ill talk to you about it tomora.... all we need now is the trading post and some giveaway kittens:p......hahah

for all the cat lovers im only joking.;)

Den, Mate, don't give up the Bow.................., please dont ................

Haha, I was talking to Jonno about that today actually.....Rifles have scopes, no stalking needed;)

Don't worry though, I'll still keep the bow handy for, well, whatever I can get close too.lol

We'll do a hunt next year with the bow and a bit of cod fishing as well.
To flat out this year.
We'll have a chat when I come up to see Troy in late October.

Status
Not open for further replies.