Sporting shooters....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember back when I was 8, we were arriving on the propety and we saw a Sucker (Young pig) on the way in, my dad jumped out got the gun and then lights out for the pig. We got to camp and my dad sat it on a branch, I was scared as, I was think the parents would come and charge at me or something.

Ta Alex, looks like we'll have to get into loading our own ammo.

Ts6, I grew up in Dalby and Troy was born in Chinchilla so we have mates with land all over the place.

Haha Kane, you'd better behave yourself when you come up.....:lol:

The .223 seems to be a popular choice.

Ts6, I grew up in Dalby and Troy was born in Chinchilla so we have mates with land all over the place.

Sweet, i'd love to grow up out there.
Moonie is a great place, I havn't been able to see alot of Dalby, only drove through to get to Moonie.

i personally could not do it but i agree that ferals must be controlled, i feel that when doing so, it must be done in a humane way and to be good to your dog or dogs. over the years i have seen dogs with there throat ripped out and the owner bragging about his kill or others get the thrill to see a pig being attacked by dogs.

cheyne_jones read redbellybite post again it was not abut knocking anything or anyone but merely interested in other peoples views

go to cleaver firearms at margate, possibly the best gunshop in the country and good prices too.

I would go for a lever action shotty and a rifle in whatever calibre, probably 243,270 or 308 if you are shooting pigs. a 223 isnt the best for pigs. An air rifle or .22 would be good too.

.223 military rounds are good at taking stuff out, but im not sure if the cheap ammo has the good bullets in it.

Haha Kane, you'd better behave yourself when you come up.....:lol:

You making this thread only means 1 thing to me mate, you are taking me hunting when I come up. :)

Kane

Good to see there's a few other shooters out there. I haven't busted a primer for a while now, but it was once a way of life & also a living for myself & a few mates. Don't let anyone tell you that being a pro shooter is all fun.

These days it's just as much the enjoyment of the walk in the bush as it is busting ferals. (must be getting old!)

Fave rifles:
.308Win Carbine Deer rifle
7mmRM Ruger. Deer rifle.
30-30Win Marlin carbine with peep sights. THE best pig gun.
270Win. Good for pigs out on the flats
243Win . . . . seemed like a good idea at the time, but good all rounder
22K improved Hornet in a Martini Cadet. Top little bunny plinker.
.223 The work horse & money maker.
.22 rimfire For the neighbour's cat! Haha!! Also made a living for me on bunnies.
.17 air rifle For the neighbour's budgie!???
My Dad's old side by side gun, just to remember the old bloke.
& a few target rifles, . . . just in case we get attacked by targets.

Col J.

Last edited:
Like Chris said, Cleaver firearms at Margate would be the best around, he will have everything you are after there.
I don't shoot anymore but when i used to own guns for pigs i used a 6.5 x 55 M96 Swedish mauser, at the time i chose this calibre rifle for its power, accuracy and cheapness of ammo, and it always did the job well. You can't go past the good old 303 sport rifle either.
For bunnies i used a 12g pump action but as you know we can't have them any more, so now days i'd go with an under and over. Another rifle i owned that was great to use on the bigger animals was a stainless Ruger mini 14, i think the calibre was either .223 or .243 i can't remember, i also owned it's smaller brother the Ruger 10 22 carbine, it was fun to use on foxes rabbits and great for target practice. Unfortunately you can't own these guns any more as they are semi auto.

Cleaver Firearms is the place to go in QLD.Just dont go on a saturday its way too busy.For a calibre go with a .243 it will handle the small stuff but can also take care of the bigger ferals.

hey den...i think we will try cleavers...seems to be the go from what i heard....your turn to drive us this time.;) i think im gunna go the marlin 336w, 30/30 lever action, that cleavers have got them cheap.

How much do they have the 336 for? i am chasing one at the moment. My fav would have to be my 243, can load small 55 0r 60 grain bullets for roos foxes,and rabbits up to 100gn for dear and then there is everything in between.Good bullet and good placement and there nothing that has walked away yet!!!! unless you count the big Red but that was shooter error lol

umm i believe its around 700, fixed with scope. did the course with denver and troy and after shooting with them i loved them. heaps of power with the accuracy and a 10magazine so quick reloading also. same as den i think he fell in love with the instructors ruger 223 lol

Yea out of all the leaver actions unless you go the brownings, the good old 30/30 has the most reach and with a 150 gn bullet is dynamite on hogs.

Wouldnt mind puttin a few rounds through a Remington pump in 308 though and seein how it stacks up.

yeh thats it they pack agood punch. i cant wait for the paper work to get here...get amongst some pigs.

Damn the paper work Got a second hand 22 mag a few monts back, took that long for it all to go through i was loosin my mind, not to mention the fella from the gun shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.