Sporting shooters....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Den from Den Pythons

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
A few of us have recently applied for our shooters permit. I'd like to chat to other individuals who are interested in hunting/shooting. What are your rifles of choice?

I'm looking at a Beretta made coach gun, side by side duel trigger job. Also a .223 stainless, synthetic stock Ruger. My last choice would be a Rossi or Marlin lever in .38 Spec/357 mag.

Lastly, what would people recommend to be the best shop to browse in Brisbane?
Ta
Den

P.S. Please keep this thread open to interested poster's, anti-gun lobbyist’s feel free to open a new thread.

I shoot a few times a year, usually goats... My current gun is a Mauser 6.5 x 55, thinking about getting something in .204cal for foxes etc once i get my tax refund.

A great place in brissy is qld gun exchange, not sure of the address but i can check my shooter mags once i get home if you're not sure where it is.

I would just like to know a few things....... .what is it about shooting something dead.?...what are the feelings you get from doing this?...do you take your kill home and use it to feed your dogs or some other pet or are you the type just to leave it where it drops ?..do you put trophy heads on your walls at home or parade deer antaler on your wall or make coat racks out of them ?......never been into shooting animals myself , yes I cull rats when needed for food ,so I am a killer,I feel guilty for doing it but my pets need to eat too......just wanted to know what your views and opinions are about hunting thats all...

Ive been a shooter for a long time and i used to shoot ducks but they are off my menu
since i became a wildlife carer about 10 years ago.
Since then i have shot pigs,deer, goats, foxes, roos and rabbits..occasional cats and dogs as well as many feral birds.

The answer to your question redbellybite would vary from person to person, i personally never got a thrill out of killing animal, it was a buzz though, when i made a clean shot from a distance, the sound of the round hitting the the spot is another thing i found satisfying.
Nowadays the idea that i can do this and know that im helping our environment at the same time is what gives me a buzz.
Sort of justifies it for me..

Dogs always eat well..No trophies, apart from a few antlers and pics.

Depends on what your shooting den what type of gun you will need.For goats and similar size animals, including fox, you could use the .222 or the .223 and the larger .22/250.The later two are very popular with shooters here in Vic.
Also good to learn to use reloading equipment to keep ammo costs down.

Last edited:
QLD gun exchange!!!!!!!

My weapon of choice is my winchester 270, followed by my Ruger 223.

cheap ammo, and stops what you hit instantly. flat and accurate.

i also own a 308 winchester, a 7.62 x 39 ( 308 short ) and a single barrel 12 gauge.

have had my shooters licence for 16 years now, if you need to get an opinion on a topic or q's answerd, pm me.

cheers.

have fun!!!!!!!

I would just like to know a few things....... .what is it about shooting something dead.?...what are the feelings you get from doing this?...do you take your kill home and use it to feed your dogs or some other pet or are you the type just to leave it where it drops ?..do you put trophy heads on your walls at home or parade deer antaler on your wall or make coat racks out of them ?......never been into shooting animals myself , yes I cull rats when needed for food ,so I am a killer,I feel guilty for doing it but my pets need to eat too......just wanted to know what your views and opinions are about hunting thats all...

The environment needs a bit of help from feral animals and yes it does feel pretty good to hunt something. If it wasn't enjoyable, why would be people do it?

nothing wrong with bowling over a few pest animals,i had to hand most of my firearms in because of the port authur incedent,but these days i have a high powered air rifle,can drop a bunny well from 50 metres,probably foxes to,but havnt tried,if i was a rabbit or fox id prefer a swift bullet to the head over mixo,or a good feeding of 1080 foxbait.

Ta guys. We've got mates out Dalby way, also a few spots to hunt in moonie and tara. Pigs will be the main target for the .223. I've heard that you can get military rounds for a .223, is that what you were refering to in the way of low cost redcent?

I'll have a scout around through the QLD gun exchange on saturday, may try cleavers also?.
Thanks

my uncle said he would take me hunting on his mates farm in toowoomba when his back gets better i think it would be kinda alright.

QLD gun exchange!!!!!!!

My weapon of choice is my winchester 270, followed by my Ruger 223.

cheap ammo, and stops what you hit instantly. flat and accurate.

i also own a 308 winchester, a 7.62 x 39 ( 308 short ) and a single barrel 12 gauge.

have had my shooters licence for 16 years now, if you need to get an opinion on a topic or q's answerd, pm me.

cheers.

have fun!!!!!!!

270 cheap ammo??????:shock:

Go visit a creek bank that has been stripped bare for miles by goats in the dry season, rooted up by a mob of pigs and a family of cats eating anything that moves, how many native animals do you think survive this sort of competition, not many let me tell you...

Hunting ferals is a great hobby and i think you would find most hunters these days care more about what happens to the environment than many people you know.

You will never understand it if you think its just about killing. I have been on hunting trips weeks long without firing one shot, its about challenging your senses in so many ways, then using your abilities to take an accurate kill shot first time every time.

Dont knock til you have tried it

i like air rifle hunting,as u only get one shot and u have to get with in range,i used to shoot on a farm in north east victoria,hilly and crevicey area so we used to sit at warrens and wait for the bunnys to come out,this was back in semi auto days,ahhhh i miss my semi auto,lol,anyways whilst allowing a few bunnys to come out we used to watch the millions of cunninghams go about there business,they were bloody every where,some crevices had literally hundreds,from newborn up to huge sized ones,on numerous occaisions we observed the run down and consume adult southern water skinks,one even managed to catch a striped skink,not bad going for whats believed to be a mostly herbivorus skink,i used to watch the reptiles more than the hunting quarry,lol,though i did manage to shoot a ferral cat,was stalking a burrow area,there were crimson rosellas feeding so i got with in range and dispatched it,was a sizable one to i must say

Ta guys. We've got mates out Dalby way, also a few spots to hunt in moonie and tara. Pigs will be the main target for the .223. I've heard that you can get military rounds for a .223, is that what you were refering to in the way of low cost redcent?

I'll have a scout around through the QLD gun exchange on saturday, may try cleavers also?.
Thanks
Yeah 5.56x45mm are .223 however most military ammo will be full metal jacketed good for practice although not much good for hunting because they tend to go straight through the animal which is what most people say, however i have heard from a friend who is a Marine that they tumble through what they hit and do quite a bit of damage on their way though. however hollow points or a projectile designed for hunting would be a better option. and can be had quite cheaply if you do hand loading.

I hunt probably at least twice a month, I absolutely love it !!!

I live in Sutho Shire and am Treasurer of the local hunting club too

my choice is my .223 and my .375H&H mag when i feel like blowing things up like ares ect lol

I go shooting out west, Moonie, with my Dad. I use the 22 and Hornet, then my dad uses a Shotgun, 243 for the Pigs, when we go for morning walk, my dad gets me on the Shotgun:S
We havn't seen any Pigs through the propety I go on for a while, my dad knocked over a few last year.
We mainly see Rabbits, foxes and cats. They had Dingoes through there a few months back, got rid of them.
Denver, which propety do you go shooting in Moonie?

One morning, I wen't for a walk, came across a Boar, under some bushes on the other side of the creek. He jumped up, ran up the bank, hit a tree and bounced back down then went off, I took a few shots, don't think it did alot, only had a 22.

Who the hell would trust you with a gun Den :shock:

Im not a hunter, im way too lazy to go through the licencing thing. But i do support the other hunters out there by giving them $$ for any nice tanned skins. Fox, cats and rabbits are so pretty once there all quiet and harmless...

Status
Not open for further replies.