Pythons Tub Or Enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tub or enclosure

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think, Tub or enclosure? do you think that tubs are cruel? Can an adult survive in a tub? will it thrive or will it just be "ok" I will probably use a tub for a few months but then will upgrade into a wooden custom eclosure, unless I research into keeping a adult in a tub. Share opinons on tubs glass/wooden enclosures, what you use, what you will use in the future (if its still a hatchlng) etc.

Dave.

I selected tubs; however, I feel they should only be used for hatchies through to juveniles for ease of cleaning and feeding. Once they get a bit bigger they should be transferred to a suitable enclosure.

i dont see why you cant use a tubs and just get a bigger one when the reptile needs it its also cheap and stackable

Love to hear opinons of the people who have voted the Enclosure. Because I'm interested in knowing why you think which one is better.

I've used both for youngsters; enclosures for adults. No reason a good tub system wouldn't work for large numbers. You just need to make sure there are some exercise opportunities (snake gym!).

My baby Bredls were put into enclosures at appx 4 months of age and have been fine. They have plenty of small hides and no issues about handling, feeding or anything else. At night they move around the whole area and get lots of exercise.

Have my juvie costal in a tub, however it is only there untill i finish making another enclosure for it.
I have all my snakes in enclosures ranging from 2400x1000x600 to 600x600x600 i like to give them room to move

One standard of reptile ownership is to provide as much as possible a life like(natural) setting enclosure. for a nocturnal reptile the tub is fine during the day but at night when the reptile is on the hunt the tub falls short. Unless we are talking a tub and enclosure of equal sizes, in which i doubt. Surely heat retention in an enclosure is better,mdf vs thin plastic.

I clicked "enclosure". Although I'm new to herping, I plan to put my MD python (Layby @ Reptile City) into an enclosure as I wanted it to be for viewing as well as for handling. I don't intend to breed it, just enjoy it. Its still 5mths old but I'm hoping it will accept a larger environment with lots of hiding spots, early.

I also picked enclosure, as I thought you were talking about adults
But I do believe that tubs are very worthwhile for hatchlings - juvi's

I ticked enclosure as for adults i believe enclosures are better and for the fact an enclosure can keep heat in it better too compared to a tub.

Saying that we do use tubs for our baby water python and MD as the MD was stressed out being in an enclosure and wouldn't eat now he is in a click clack he's eating, so we didn't want the same happening to our water python so he went straight into a click clack, but these are in the enclosures that they will be going into soon.

I guess both have their advantages but i just prefer enclosures, nicer to look at too lol

l have allways thought that keeping adults in tubs is like battery hens in cages . l prefer to look at my pythons and feel good about the life l am giving them . Big interesting enclosures , quality food and good hygyne . Keeping them in tubs so you can have more efficiancy in space and numbers for breeding is a line l will never cross .

i chose 'enclosure' because wood is a better insulator and you can control the temperature more easily than in plastic tubs. I also prefer "enclosure" because you can make them any size you require, but tubs only get so big.

If you were to permanently house a snake in a plastic tub, it would only be suitable for smaller snakes.

i chose enclosures, as that is what i use for my pets...
tubs are a perfect choice that makes sense for those with space/time limitations resulting from owning large numbers of specimens

i didn't vote one way or the other as tubs and enclosures are useful for different things. tubs are geberally good for small things like hatchling to juvie snakes, and maybe the occasional blue tongue. enclosures are good for those animals that are simply too big for the average tub or need higher temperature levels, like most northern reptiles. it just depends on the reptile's needs.

I chose enclosure for adult snakes. Tubs are fine for hatchies to juvies but once they are of reasonable size they should be provided with adequate space. Adult pythons are better observed in an enclosure for our benefit and theirs. Keeping adult pythons in tubs IMO is a lot like keeping battery hens in chicken farms.

I chose enclosures as that is what mine are all in as adults as i like to see them, and it is easier not to disturb them when you check on them. However i don't see why if you had an appropriate sized tub why an adult couldn't live in them and remain a happy and healthy animal. Prob not for adult morelia or aspidites, but certainly a good sized tub for an adult antaresia could be sorted.

I chose enclosures as that is what mine are all in as adults as i like to see them, and it is easier not to disturb them when you check on them. However i don't see why if you had an appropriate sized tub why an adult couldn't live in them and remain a happy and healthy animal. Prob not for adult morelia or aspidites, but certainly a good sized tub for an adult antaresia could be sorted.
Yeah. My mum wants my first snake to be small, then I can get a bigger python. I['m just not sure if I will keep him/her in a tub as an adult or build a nice custom enclosure, I think I'll build one now though.

I voted enclosure even though my Bredli is living in a tub at the moment. Once shes a bit older she will go into an enclosure, but whilst snakes are small i think tubs are the way to go to prevent escape.

Attached pic is of my tub which i've tried to make as enclosure like as possible...

Ben

Attachments

• animal 073.jpg
    animal 073.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 40
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back