Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guff_man

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Had my bearded dragon 6 months or so now and loving him, now looking at expanding.
Very interested in gecko's, have done many hours of searching here and the net and watching vids on you tube about them and how to care for them.

Pretty keen on just the thick tail / knobtail ones, they seem to be very common starting point, and look very interesting :).

Would these be a good starting point? What sort of price are they worth?
And are they good to keep a pair in the same tank? Or are they another SOLO critter?
I would prefer to have a pair.

And also i couldnt find how much living space they need???

And finally just any tips/advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Geoff

Last edited:
They are around $100-$150 for them geckos and they are great starters, i will be looking to get some geckos for myself.

Cheers mate
Is there a difference in knobtail or thicktails? Or do ppl just call them different things?
And i have no idea on scientific names by the way.

Just went to a couple aquariums, the thick tails were $90 at one store and $100 at the other.
They also had velvet gecko's and marble geckos, what are they like?
Can you put thick tails with velvets in the same tank?

And the main thing i would like to know is can you put a pair of thick tails in the same tank?

Heat mats were about the $30-$50 mark, but im not exactly sure what size i need, and what wattage???

I think i will be using my 2 foot tank, but there is a slight chance i may use a different one

i started with the amyae, bit pricey, but easy to care fro,..theyre thriving.

get what u like, theyre all pretty easy to care for. :)

when buying a thermostat fro teh heat mat, get a mat stat not a dimming one cos the dimmers hum.

So are they all pretty friendly with eachother?
Those amyae are really cool, what sort of price do they fetch?

Thanks mate, ive read all that before, but really need to know the other questions that ive asked.

And also, are marbles climbing ones or ground dwelling ones?

Marbled Geckoes are climbers, though under that common name it could mean Christinus marmoratus, that are very cheap and easy, not colourful but don't need much if any heating depending on where you live, or Marbled Velvet Gecko, Oedura marmorata that are usually very colourful, more pricey and require specific heating needs. Most geckoes go for $100 - $150 mark, for new comers to the gecko world, I think Strophurus species are great, as they are out and visible all day. Multiple geckoes can be kept together though in some species males will fight untill one is gone (or dead). A tio of Strophurus can be kept in a two foot enclosure. Another Gecko species I would recommend for first are Thick Tailed Geckoes ( U. milii ) though they will hide during the day, but they are easy and very active at night and don't require much heating. U. milii will climb branches ect but not glass, Strophurus species are glass climbers.

amyae are around 1200 a clutch pair,..well worth it though, theyre amazing to watch.

the amyae are ground dwellers (no sticky feet) and grow to a size u can handle without losing.

while theyre not great for handling (no geckos are) they do settle down and happily have a drink sitting on my hand.

Thanks heaps guys!
I am thinking i will go with the thicktails at the moment, would like somthing that doesnt cost $1200 for a first one just in case lol.

The velvet geckoes were around the $40 at the pet shop and said no license required if that makes a difference to you.

Would prefer something thats not going to climb out of the enclosure as well

smooth knob tails are the cheapest knob tail. they go for around $150 each.
thicktails are just as good starter geckos as smooth knob tails and they go for $90 each.
personally i would go for the smooth knob tail over a thicktail but that is up to you.

Thanks for that, can some one also tell me what type these are???

[video=youtube;yj5az1UBuME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj5az1UBuME[/video]

Could anyone also recommend me a breeder in the SE subbs of VIC, or know of a decent pet store that stocks gecko's

in that video they are a subspecies of the n.levis levis (smooth knob tail). very similar geckos but those ones are from the pilbara region. they are called n. levis pilbarensis. they are around $250 each.
as for buying them i dont recommend pet stores as they usually take bad care of reptiles from my experience.
post an add in the wanted section and you should find a breeder fast enough.

ur sooooo lucky to just start off with amyae.

i started with the amyae, bit pricey, but easy to care fro,..theyre thriving.

get what u like, theyre all pretty easy to care for. :)

when buying a thermostat fro teh heat mat, get a mat stat not a dimming one cos the dimmers hum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back