enclosure help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alorie

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, i recently started to build a new bank of enclosures. I want to get rid of the breeders choice in the bottom and i was thinking about gluing in slate tiles into the bottom and along a shelf i plan to put along the back. I was wondering if anyone has something similar in their enclosures and if people think this is an idea worth doing or reasons against doing it? Also any ideas on ways that i can improve them as i am starting another identical bank soon.

Thanks Andrew

IMG_5478.jpg
IMG_5477.jpg

andrew, although the slate might look good it's not practical, the best thing is to keep it simple (for snakes anyway) news paper is the best substrate as it is easy to remove and the less you have to remove from the enclosure for cleaning the better, and if you are ever unfortunate enough to get mites, they are much easier to treat in an enclosure with less nooks and crannys.
cheers HK

andrew, although the slate might look good it's not practical, the best thing is to keep it simple (for snakes anyway) news paper is the best substrate as it is easy to remove and the less you have to remove from the enclosure for cleaning the better, and if you are ever unfortunate enough to get mites, they are much easier to treat in an enclosure with less nooks and crannys.
cheers HK

Totally disagree...

Not to go off on a rant here or anything here, but newspaper for snakes, lizards etc SUCKS THE BIG ONES, to put it mildly.

Yes I have certainly used newspaper and depending on the time of year I use it intermittently.

Now this is not directed at anyone specifically but is a general observation.
Frankly I am sick to death of people trying to do everything on the cheap, wondering whether to spend $10 on decent substrate, or spend an extra $50 on setting up the enclosure properly. YOU ARE DEALING WITH A LIVE ANIMAL subsequently if you are too cheap to do it properly then don’t bloody do it. Too many people are more concerned about how many animals they can get in their collection rather than worrying about setting just one enclosure up properly.

So back to the topic, the substrate topic is done every week or so, but never the less.

Not sure why you would use ceramic tiles, I don’t really get that at all. Do you mean you are going to put heating under the tile or something? If you are thinking of using the tile so that it is easier to clean, then just use a glass enclosure.

News paper sucks, that is plain and simple. If you need to change newspaper, you need to remove the newspaper which often involves, removing everything from the enclosure, just to get it all out and then replacing the paper and putting everything back in there. Using “particle” type substrates i.e. bark, the cat litter type things, sand, is far easier to clean the enclosure. If there is a poop, you scoop that bit up.

I personally am not a fan of the cat litter type stuff, due to the dust from it.

Below is MR Womas enclosure, and it is by far the most attractive and simplest enclosure to maintain. If there is a poop, I scoop. If he overflows the water bowl, the bark soaks it up, which then evaporates. It looks great, and Mr Woma obviously doesn’t get stressed as there is plenty of ENRICHMENT to get into. i.e. he can hide and dig in the substrate with no problems. Bark and sand I find far easier to clean rather than newspaper. As far as mites are concerned, remove the animal from the enclosure, rather than removing everything from the enclosure. If there isn’t a food source, the mites wont stay there, and will essentially die.

So personally if asking for advice I would say, spend the money on doing right the first time and making them look good, Certainly using tiles, with heating beneath them works a treat, but I wouldn’t just leave them bare.

Most people use particular items so that it makes their life easier or cheaper, personally I would rather spend the extra bit and make sure that the animals environment is better for it.

Anyway sorry for the long post.

Attachments

• I Test temperature adjusted.JPG
    I Test temperature adjusted.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 100
  • H Decorate adjusted.JPG
    H Decorate adjusted.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 96
Thanks SlothHead, I was thinking of using the tiles because of the heat that i get rising through the bank, the way they look and ease to clean. I though that it may of been a better thing for me to use rather than the kitty litter( which im not too fond of). I don't mind the bark though, it looks great. Is it just the bark that you can buy from nurseries?

Thanks
Andrew

No, don't use nursery bark, buy proper reptile bark from the pet store.

I use bark in my snake enclosures and I to am sick of hearing people advising using newspaper. How uncomfortable would it be to sit on a hard floor with just newspaper underneath them. Totally unnatural and looks disgusting.

Hi Andrew,

As Jewly has suggested, not a good idea to get nursery bark. Proper reptile bark will be ultra heat treated.

Geeze Sloth. My blackheads would have a ball spraying everything in that enclosure!! Would take me weeks cleaning that!

cheers HK

agree. I use aspen bedding, easy to clean, maintain nad cheap.

Geeze Sloth. My blackheads would have a ball spraying everything in that enclosure!! Would take me weeks cleaning that!

When you say spraying are you refering to tail flicking, or are your refering to what i am thinking....:shock: pooooping with force.

If the later, get them off the chicken

Know what you mean though, my BHPs when fed chicken would "spray" as you are suggesting. Real noisy too.

I think tiles look great. Neat and easy to clean. I agree with the call on the ceramics, and I agree to a certain extent - standard glossy ceramic tiles make it look like a bathroom. I use ceramics (for beardies), but they are a redish colour (like red sand) and they are a slightly rougher surface. Just enough to give them grip and to stop it looking like a bathroom, but they are still easy to clean.

I initially was looking at slate tiles, but would still want reddish colour, but agreed, they aren't generally a 'flat' tile as they seem to have ridges, and I think would be harder to clean. Consider the weight slate tiles would add too, I think they are fairly heavy.

Aspen bedding is wonderful (I use for blueys). It looks good, and although the bags aren't cheap its compressed so does last a while and its easy to replace small amounts when they poop. :)

Hey there Alorie,

For my stimson python enclosure i used Black slate tiles, look extremely cool wonderful colour and texture, they are sealed and makes cleaning time really easy never had a problem, i personally recommend them.

My dad and I recently started my new 2 tier lizard enclosure which i have just finished ceramic tiling, but i used two different types which i broke up into large "mosaic" pieces (one type a red/pinky rough textured tile the other a sandstone looking colour with a mild texture to it.) The reason i used the mosaic sort of style is to give it a drought look flooring which i think looks awesome! But in conjunction with the ceramic tiles probably one third of the enclosure will have bark chips.

Sorry have no pictures of this enclosure but heres my stimson enclosure:
2008_0213extraz0016.jpg

Thanks for your help everyone, i ll have to go have a look at the bark over the weekend. Toastie the tiles in the bottom of your enclosure looks great! I think i ll try both out to see what will work best for me. Thanks for everyones help!

Andrew

Remeber if you choose to take some of the advice offered so far, ie. kitty litter, repti bark, aspen bedding etc, you might like to ensure you don't feed your snakes inside their enclosures. If small undigestable parts are ingested a blockage could occur. Good luck.

Last edited:
Totally disagree...

Not to go off on a rant here or anything here, but newspaper for snakes, lizards etc SUCKS THE BIG ONES, to put it mildly.

Yes I have certainly used newspaper and depending on the time of year I use it intermittently.

Frankly I am sick to death of people trying to do everything on the cheap,

My snakes are currently still in (lge) clik claks. When they go into a large enclosure I will use newspaper. Nothing to do with cost. For me it is personal preference. I use electrical conduit for perches in my clik claks and will in the enclosures. I love the pics of enclosures that are making a realistic setting for their snakes - they are impressive. However, I'm not into that type of enclosure for myself or snakes. I love the look of the snakes with a largely white environment. For me it highlights the animal.

Basically I think there is an area of personal preference here that is not a matter of right or wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back