My dog just ate a toad

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waruikazi

Legendary
Reaction score
I just caught my dog with a cane toad. I've washed his mouth out and all the rest and he seems fine for now, but i'm watchin him like a hawk. He's not frothing or jittery or anything and i've rung a couple of vets just to get a second opinion if i need to do anything more and there's nothing left to do. SO he should be fine.

Has anyone found an effective way of making their dogs scared or not like toads? If i hadn't been here he would have been in big trouble.

I hope nothing happens to him! Fingers crossed :?

Should go to a vet instead of ringing them just to be sure?

I hope nothing happens to him! Fingers crossed :?

Should go to a vet instead of ringing them just to be sure?

They said not to bother unless he goes down hill, that's why i rang two just to be sure. They basically said they'll do the same as i can do here if i took him down now, i just don't have to pay for it this way. All they do is clean their mouth out and observe them. Then if they show signs of being intoxicated they put them on a drip. The vet's only 500m down the rd anyway so it wont take long for me to get there if something goes wrong.

I dont know if its an old wives tail but I was told once that getting them to drink milk
some how stops any reaction (sorry) I hope your dog is ok

He doesn't seem to be affected at the moment. I really want to know if there is anything anyone has done that has deterred their dog from eating/playing with them?

My mate in Brissie once told me he used to take dead (frozen) toads and cover them in something his dog hated (I can't remember what it was) and let his dog lick them. After awhile it never went near them again. I can't personally speak for this system but he said it worked for him.

That sounds plausable DDLADD. I mean if I were a dog I wouldn't be licking something that every other time tasted yuck :lol:lol
Hope your dog is ok waruikazi.

cut the venom glands out then put raw chilli on it, when the dog bites it it wont ever want to eat one again. our chickens used to eat there eggs so we put chilli in them and they never ate them again :)

spray them with "wound-gard", the vets use it after surgery. It works a treat on other things

Per

cut the venom glands out then put raw chilli on it, when the dog bites it it wont ever want to eat one again. our chickens used to eat there eggs so we put chilli in them and they never ate them again :)

The toads have poison through their skin not just the poison glands on their neck.

Wound guard sounds like it could be worth a try. I was thinking of buying a toy toad, like a plastic one, and beating the crap out of him with it.

one of my dogs used to lick cane toads all the time :roll: other than foaming at the mouth (which i would immediatly flush out) she suffered no ill effects. Hope your pup is ok

The only way I could teach my silly hound to not touch them was walking him at night on a lead & every time he went near one I would go off at him until he got the hint. I don't think this has worked perfectly but hopefully he thinks twice about playing with them if he comes across any.
Hope your dogs ok mate

My jack russell loves to play with toads. He doesn't ever bite or lick anything like that unless I say "Get it!" like I do with spiders and other bugs. He's pretty good, and he comes in at night, so there's never been a problem.

If you want to easily train a dog not to look at toads (or snakes) get yourself one of those remote control citronella collars...and one toad, place the toad on the lawn and let the dog have a sniff, when he does, give him a hit of citronella in the face, repeat half hourly untill the dog wants nothing to do with it...smart dogs will learn on the 3rd or 4th go, repeat every 6 months to a year depending on how good your dog is. Collars cost a couple of hundred, but pails in significance to a dead dog or huge vet bill, and when your not using it they also work well on young kids ;)

I think it should be fine, just hope it doesnt develop an addiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back