My dog just ate a toad

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My dog is an absolute idiot when it comes to toads as well, being a kiwi dog he doesn't think that there is any thing that can hurt him, Iv tried everything, but I still have to take him out at night on a lead, going to get a mussel for him.
Scares the crap out of me every time he does it, starts dribbling heaps, rubs his mouth on the ground, obviously burns or hurts him, but he still doesn't learn.

cut the venom glands out then put raw chilli on it, when the dog bites it it wont ever want to eat one again. our chickens used to eat there eggs so we put chilli in them and they never ate them again :)

Chilli doesn't always work.. We had a dog once that was dumb as hell and was chewing up the house, so Dad put chilli on where he was chewing.. The dog came up and ate it no problems and was even eating chilli from my Dad's hand. It was quite funny.

When i lived in Brissy my staffy always would try eat them.
Iwould just spray the hose down her throat and wash her mouth out

Wound guard sounds like it could be worth a try. I was thinking of buying a toy toad, like a plastic one, and beating the crap out of him with it.

Hahaha...thanks for that chuckle.

How's your dog now?

He's fine, he was just a little hi for a while i think. I hope he's not getting a taste for it lol.

i always pour salt into my dogs mouth before flushing with water if they nom a toad, not only does the salt kill the poison, but the dogs hate it and think twice about going the toad again.

When we lived up North my dog only ate one cane toad, he happened to be in front of about 4 vets and 10 vet nurses at the time. 4 of them picked him up (he weighed 55k) carried him over the the tap and ran water into his mouth, he never touched another the whole experience was to humiliating for him.

When i lived in Brissy my staffy always would try eat them.
Iwould just spray the hose down her throat and wash her mouth out

Your lucky you didnt drown your dog in the process.. =/ It's recommended to wipe their mouth out with a face washer/rag/etc, continually rinsing the cloth as you do.. The poison is sticky, so just rinsing the mouth doesnt remove all of the toxins..

Exaggeration more than a joke. I was thinking of using a plastic toad as the whacker instead of a rolled up news paper. So he becomes scared of them, and not news papers.
we made ours scared of toads and frogs ..so they wont touch
either one ..same as snakes my dogs are ****zzy scared of them...I used plastic snake toys and chased them with the toys growling at them and when confronted with a live frog /toad..I picked em up and scared the crap out of them too.... chase him with a live toad and scare the hell out of him ..it will take a few times ..but he should get it ..

Your lucky you didnt drown your dog in the process.. =/ It's recommended to wipe their mouth out with a face washer/rag/etc, continually rinsing the cloth as you do.. The poison is sticky, so just rinsing the mouth doesnt remove all of the toxins..

filling its lungs with water

I used plastic snake toys and chased them with the toys growling at them

.......:shock:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That's the funniest thing I've heard all day!!!!

The drooling and frothing at the mouth is often because they taste cad and they're trying to get the toxins/taste out of their mouth, so they often learn on their own.

Salt doesn't help if they've been intoxicated, but it is a good deterrent. Mine have both eaten those black absorbers in the bottom of meat trays at BBQs a couple of times, and I had to mix lots of salt into a paste and shove it down their throats to make them vomit the absorbers up again (was advised by the vet before doing this, of course). They definitely think twice before licking meat trays now - I just grab the big packet of salt out of the pantry and they run!

BUT, be warned - particularly with puppies, salt induces vomiting, and sometimes they can't make themselves stop, and at THAT point their health is in trouble and they need to go to the vet. I've let mine vomit a couple of times 'til the absorber came up, then encouraged some water and a few bikkies into them, and they settle again.

I had a doberman that used to chase the GTFs around the back porch until her could corner one, and then he'd sit there licking it :shock: Poor frogs. He never ate any, but what an ordeal! He was a bit strange, that dog.... maybe because he habitually licked frogs :shock:

completley agree with you miss_khalli. whenever any of my dogs have had a run in with a toad in the past the first thing I do is run for a cloth. wetting the cloth and wiping the mouth out is meant to get rid of the poisons alot quicker then a hose because the fluid sticks to the gums more then anything. ALWAYS make sure you concentrate on the gums, the under side of the lips and the roof of the mouth.
also... the idea of milk? havent heard of that but dogs are lactose intolarent so I wouldnt be to convinced of that suggestions validity?
as for trying to find ways of keeping the dogs away from them, my way seems to work well for my two young labs... if I see a toad when they are with me I run around it waving my hands in the air and screaming. The dogs panic, they know something is very wrong and they associate that feeling with cane toads. Ive watched them now when they see one in the garden they stay well clear, they dont know why they should be scared but I think they figure if I am there must be a damn good reason LOL
sidenote - yes the neighbours think im crazy. ;)

completley agree with you miss_khalli. whenever any of my dogs have had a run in with a toad in the past the first thing I do is run for a cloth. wetting the cloth and wiping the mouth out is meant to get rid of the poisons alot quicker then a hose because the fluid sticks to the gums more then anything. ALWAYS make sure you concentrate on the gums, the under side of the lips and the roof of the mouth.
also... the idea of milk? havent heard of that but dogs are lactose intolarent so I wouldnt be to convinced of that suggestions validity?
as for trying to find ways of keeping the dogs away from them, my way seems to work well for my two young labs... if I see a toad when they are with me I run around it waving my hands in the air and screaming. The dogs panic, they know something is very wrong and they associate that feeling with cane toads. Ive watched them now when they see one in the garden they stay well clear, they dont know why they should be scared but I think they figure if I am there must be a damn good reason LOL
sidenote - yes the neighbours think im crazy. ;)

If i do something silly like that with my boy he wants to fight what ever i'm scared of lol.

He seems pretty indifferent about them now, i have thousands in my yard (one of the worst things about living on a floodplain) he just ignores them.

As mentioned cloths combined with a hose/tap (not full blast) are good as the toxin is sticky.
For those who's dogs keep licking them...
The toxin is likened to heroin for dogs. They can get addicted and want to keep going back for more whenever they see one as the high/rush they experience from a mild case of intoxification is new and exciting/unusual for them.

teach him how t use a 9 iron lol

Depends how far away the fence is. I tried a 9 iron first time but the momentum of the swing causes combined with the loft of the club causes them to stick to the club face and it landed behind me. Then pulled out the 3 iron...good contact then 'smack'... it hit the fence...not enough loft.
6 iron is perfect for about 7m or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back