Pricing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagraj

Reaction score
There is always a lot of discussion on pricing here and there seems to be a core group who always try to talk up said prices. It's pretty obvious that regardless of those peoples opinions and excepting a few special lines, prices overall are falling fairly quickly and in a few years there won't be a species selling for more than $500 ea.

That indicates to me that the existing market is pretty flooded and most trading occurs between well established keepers. There is talk of a huge amount of GTPs hitting the market next season and there is already a glut of things like RSPs. at the current prices. Personally I'm happy for prices to keep coming down because my collection is small but select and should retain it's value.

My suggestion though, for those who are already heavily invested in this business, is that instead of preaching to the converted and trying to keep prices up by sheer force of will you should put your heads together and start to develop a promotional strategy for the 'potential' market. This will help to protect your investments and probably develop some better communication between yourselves.

I think every one is just over pricing threads and your one is no different to the rest

Most reptiles are way over priced and i will be happy to see when prices drop i think it will mean less people will go and take wild animals when it will be just as affordable to buy them legit.

It wasnt all that long ago that it wasnt worth breeding anything because the market was so small you couldnt sell a clutch anyway. In recent years most breeders I know couldnt breed enough to keep to keep up!!! Its a supply/demand thing I spose and at the moment it seems supply is starting to catch up with demand forcing prices down Slightly.

to many newbies want to get into breeding, and while that isnt a problem it does create way to many offspring.
as for future prices, yes most animals on the market will be around 500 in a few yrs but there will always be something new and special that will hav a high rice tag, look at overseas. a standard ball python is $50 but there are at least a dozen morphs over 8K still. it'll happen here.

all i wana know is how can we get a licencing system like vic so us banana benders can get out hand on some -sugar gliders, crocs.

i mean the point im trying to make is.... is every states licening system was the same eg. you could import to WA, would this bring about a flood gate effect on demand an bring pricing back up???

to many newbies want to get into breeding, and while that isnt a problem it does create way to many offspring.
as for future prices, yes most animals on the market will be around 500 in a few yrs but there will always be something new and special that will hav a high rice tag, look at overseas. a standard ball python is $50 but there are at least a dozen morphs over 8K still. it'll happen here.

i aggree there will always be something a little different that herp collector will need for their collection and will pay alot for, and then out will come the selective bred morphs and it will keep interest. the only thing i am worried abotu is the common species becomign so cheap that they become a replacable pet.

i am worried abotu is the common species becomign so cheap that they become a replacable pet.

unfortunately it will happen. why in 5 yrs or so pay 200 for a normal darwin when you can pay probably 600-700 for an albino.

At the end of the day people shouold only keep and bred animals they love and not worry bout the pric tag etc. i love and will likely keep only darwins, jungles, womas and GTP's.

As the market changes the demand will distiguish , by way of price, for percieved quality which may include things such as service,confidence, rarity,location. This happens now with say stimmos were ordinary stimmos can go for a couple of hundred dollars or percieved top of the line for $4-500 a difference of 200+%.
The same with GTPs. There are animals available for a couple of thousand and percieved top of the line are still commanding 2-3 times that.
As for trying to grow the market, thats hard with the government intervention. and how slowly the wheels of beaurocracy turn. Certainly in NSW the popular class 2 animals , being Womas RSPs and GTPs are feeling the effects of restricted demand through the licencing system.

i mean the point im trying to make is.... is every states licening system was the same eg. you could import to WA, would this bring about a flood gate effect on demand an bring pricing back up???

you will never be able to ship things into WA, they are so tight, and for good reason really....

There are now soooooo many threads on this topic, I don't see what the point of sitting here and talking about the constant falling prices is, if they fall, they fall, if not, then not. Some will fall, some will not. Thats the end of it.

I'm sure that people that want to buy particular 'expensive' species will always hope for prices to drop, then once they have them, they hope for prices to stay up or better yet to increase.

Sellers will determin how much they want to sell for, and you can either buy or keep on waiting. The choice is yours, but it seems that some of these discussion are along the lines of "oh they have to drop, because I want it...... cheaper....

Anyway feel free to discuss further, I have nothing against that, but all this seems to be just a constant repaeat of a topic that was just posted, and one that is reposted every few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back