Snakes and gaps

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sm0kinup

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey ppl,

Would a snake pull itself through a small gap even if it would hurt itself? You know if the gap was way smaller than the snake?

If it can squeeze its head through, the body is sure to follow.

Hmm ok, just asking because my Stimmie went through a gap today smaller than its body and was making a wierd noise like (i know itll be funny) a fart? I was really worried that he had hurt himself but he did it on his own. Thanks.

It could hurt them, and/or damage their scales. If he poked his head and/or part of his body through a hole and decided to try and reverse back, his scales will be forced against their grain and could injure him or frighten him.

They don't know when to give up either. My 8.5ft olive girl is still determined to squeeze through the gap in her glass doors. It isn't working but she is developing a bump on her nose from constantly trying to force her way through. You can see it in this picture.

Attachments

• 035 (3).jpg
    035 (3).jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Yeah they are persistant and once there in you cant pull them backwards as there scales get caught! Well the practice has paid off for the little bugger cause he has managed to escape through a gap in the enclosure and is now loose in my house somewhere hope he turns up soon!

If it is young goodluck is all I can say! Start searching.. probably close to the enclosure, look low as they aren't big climbers. If you seen him/her pushing through a gap why did you not seal it?? Hmmmm lesson learnt?

The small gap he went through first wasnt in his enclosure but the gap he got through in the enclosure was only 10mm! smaller than the first, and was for ventilation, can you believe it! he is about the size of a 50cent coin at his fattest part. Have been looking for him everywhere and have turned the house upside down, i do hourly patrols with a torch at night and have set up some bottle traps with some pinkies around the house, the roof will be my next misson this weekend if he doesnt turn up.

He will turn up when you're not looking for him. Try kids toys that have been left on the floor. A friend of mine lost both of his the night he bought them. Found them within couple days - one was in kids pencil case, other was inside a sock left on the floor. So be careful what you throw away until you find him.

Thanks, he shouldnt really be that hard to find as he is about 2 and nearly a metre long but you know snakes!

I lost a 6ft carpet python from leaving his door open about 2 months ago, and I still haven't found him.

I also left our stimsons door open and they went wandering. Found him next day, she was gone 3 days.

Look underneath stereo equipment on your entertainment unit. Thats where I found our male. Trust me there is plenty room for them to squeeze in there and I had a hard time getting him out. She was obviously near the stove when kids cooked chips for lunch, she turned up, sitting on top of the stove. Inside your speakers is another nice place to hide.

when it comes to gaps, 1 to 2mm is about as much as you can afford ...the buggers are persistant and eventually wether they even end up hurting themselves they do get into predicaments that makes you go HOW THE HELL?.........so I dont care how big or small the snake is .. I go 1 to 2mm ..thats why you have to check some of the click clacks ..people get confused and say but it was in my click clack and the lid was on but most times in some of those types of containers the gap is more then 1mm as the lid sits on the tub ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back