Snake Regurgitation

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aoife

Reaction score
Hi all,
i have heard a few people say that their snake has regurgitated their food, just wondering, do you take it out and offer a new mouse/rat later on or do you leave it in there so they can eat as they please?

cheers

my bredli did this a while back, i took it out and left her a week . then made sure the rat was totally defrosted and warmed through and that her temps were right before offering it again.

i have a woma that is the worst eater she spew her food up heaps

i am having to feed her such small meals atm hopefully one day she will stop, anyhoo to your question make sure you take the food item out and dispose of it as soon as they are far enough away from it. The smell is disgusting and if they try to re eat it they have the chances of some of the stomach juices getting in there air way

not good for the snakey

cheerz

No i wouldn't offer it any more food,as there will be a good reason why it did it.
eg,

1.temps too low.
2.food item is off.
3.stressed or been disturbed.
4.too full.

If they regurgitate because they have been disturbed let it settle and feed again the next night.

Hi all,
i have heard a few people say that their snake has regurgitated their food, just wondering, do you take it out and offer a new mouse/rat later on or do you leave it in there so they can eat as they please?

cheers

Firstly, i've never known a snake to regurgitate and then re-consume that meal again at a later time. A regurgitated meal smells foul to snakes, as it does to us.

It's best not to offer a meal too soon after a snake has regurgitated, as it can lead to repeated regurgitation. Stomach acids can come up with a regurgitated meal and then go down the windpipe, which causes it's own problems.

i have a woma that is the worst eater she spew her food up heaps

i am having to feed her such small meals atm hopefully one day she will stop, anyhoo to your question make sure you take the food item out and dispose of it as soon as they are far enough away from it. The smell is disgusting and if they try to re eat it they have the chances of some of the stomach juices getting in there air way

not good for the snakey

cheerz

I too had this happen with a woma, I started giving him smaller meals and he stopped doing it, apparently womas like smaller meals, I ended up giving him a few smaller items such as weaner rats and adult mice etc he's full sized now and is over it, i never give him large items these days either, just incase.

My snake only regurgitated its food once cos I startled it. wasn't fully consumed so he was hapy to eat it again!

I picked up a young python out of someone's kitchen the other day. He looked like he had a belly full, and he was cold so took him home and put him on heat for the day. Oh what a mistake! He regurged that bulge and stunk so bad, it was foul and I was heaving.

I too had this happen with a woma, I started giving him smaller meals and he stopped doing it, apparently womas like smaller meals, I ended up giving him a few smaller items such as weaner rats and adult mice etc he's full sized now and is over it, i never give him large items these days either, just incase.

I have a female yearling woma that regurgitates :? she will do it if its anything bigger than a fuzzy rat (her boyfriend woma is eating small rats and is now twice her size). She will also regurg if fed ~1 week either side of a slough. Its really quite frustrating! None of my other womas do this, I hope she grows out of it.

I agree - regurgitated food needs to removed asap as it smells absolutely horrid!

BINGO....that's the answer!

No i wouldn't offer it any more food,as there will be a good reason why it did it.
eg,

1.temps too low.
2.food item is off.
3.stressed or been disturbed.
4.too full.

If they regurgitate because they have been disturbed let it settle and feed again the next night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back