Public Liability Insurance for snake relocators

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still waiting on the EPA for my DMP. Professional Indemnity might be a bit over the top but will depend on how big business gets! Public Liability covers your ladder tipping over and denting the hood of someone's car or, as you'd be collecting the snake on a professional level, if it slips away and bites the idiot who wanted to 'help', you are covered when he sues you.
I dont make habit of the snakes I catch "slip away":lol::lol::lol::lol:

public liability is for pussys.

Unfortunatly you must have it before you can get into certain places. I've had this problem with the Port of Melbourne Corporation.

Per

Interesting topic indeed. I know many years ago (probably talking closer to 10 then 5) there was a company you could join, pay an annual subscription and you could then use there public indemnity/insurance etc... It was only I think $80/year to join. The only condition was you had to have a current first aid certificate from memory.
I think they were located North Coast (Coffs harbour or somewhere like that)

DOes anyone else have a recollection of that?

Any person that works for me in the demonstration business is given insurance for the snake catching as well. Both public liability which covers for accidents, but also professional indemnity. Some people have stated it is unnecessary, however once you give advice to a client in any form, if they follow your advice and something goes wrong, you can be held liable, if you are running a small business this could mean that you can loose more than its worth. Although it is not compulsory, I would strongly recommend both. Most good insurers will give both at a good rate.

I got both as a traffic control trainer for $1000 for the first year, should come down with no claim etc. When you put in for a quote try playing around with your wording a little bit to make it sound less dangerous. eg. wild animal relocation as oppossed to snake relocation.

If you do not specify you are working with venomous snakes then you will not be covered!

Full public liability covering 20 million should be no more than $831.57cents
Easy enough to get through most brokers

Not at all easy to get from Brokers in Aust.

I believe that quote was from NZ and for 'pythons' being demonstrated under controlled conditions.

Not venomous snake 'relocators'.

People I know got out of the game because of the enormous costs involved in insurance.

I got both as a traffic control trainer for $1000 for the first year, should come down with no claim etc. When you put in for a quote try playing around with your wording a little bit to make it sound less dangerous. eg. wild animal relocation as oppossed to snake relocation.

Agree with the other poster. You won't be covered if you dont disclose and could face more costs yourself that just the claim for 'non-disclosure'.

But of course you can always just make a donation to your fav insurance company and forget ever getting anything back if something goes wrong.

If you want to be covered, you might have to work 'with' them and adjust how things are done to fit in with the policy.

I had a situation recently where I had to completely revamp something because the insurance was just too complicated how it was originally.

Did I want to? No. Did I have to? Yes.

Any person that works for me in the demonstration business is given insurance for the snake catching as well. Both public liability which covers for accidents, but also professional indemnity. Some people have stated it is unnecessary, however once you give advice to a client in any form, if they follow your advice and something goes wrong, you can be held liable, if you are running a small business this could mean that you can loose more than its worth. Although it is not compulsory, I would strongly recommend both. Most good insurers will give both at a good rate.

It was the professional indemnity part for me that was making things complicated. I restructured and added in a binding agreement gateway. But its a very grey area when it comes to litigation so being covered means you sleep at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back