Public Liability Insurance for snake relocators

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake_Whisperer

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I was wondering who here amongst the snake relocators has public liability and who is it through? I've tried a few mobs but only got 1 quote back for $8000/year! Any advice would be appreciated, cheers!

ill get back to you on it mate as there is a mob thata clsoe mate uses for demonstrating
give me a sec

i don't have it for relocating but that amount sounds about right. My public liability for work is around the $11K/year for $20million cover.

she is not answerin her phone so send me a pm as a reminder and ill get onto it for you, but havign said that her cover si about 3 grand a year

i don't have it for relocating but that amount sounds about right. My public liability for work is around the $11K/year for $20million cover.

OUCH! I'm a builder and my insurance is about $800/year!

she is not answerin her phone so send me a pm as a reminder and ill get onto it for you, but havign said that her cover si about 3 grand a year

Cool thanks Kupper! 3g's is much better than 8G!

i suppose busting open a gas or oil pipeline and fibre optic is a high risk for insurance companies. we usually have a lot of little extra add ons with every project that jacks the price up too.

Full public liability covering 20 million should be no more than $831.57cents
Easy enough to get through most brokers

I don't organise it myself, but i think the fact every project we do we have to ensure every company working onsite is listed as an interested party ends up with us taking out a seperate policy every time. Not 100% sure, but at the same time it isn't out of my pocket so as long as we are covered i am happy.

You'd think that, broker I spoke to though said insurers were paranoid about kids getting bitten. Liability waiver would be the go I think.,
Are you speaking about holders of a damage mitigation permit? or a demonstrators licence?
As I fail to see how a kid is going to get bitten if you are there to remove a snake..
Before you do any attempt on catching ,you should have accessed the situation of the area,I first do an ID ,then talk to the people that have called me there ,if dogs or cats or kids are there ,I ask them to be taken away ,or tied up for dogs.
I run through my first aid steps on what they need to say on the phone and I let them know where my first aid kit is .
If they are still keen on staying with me ,I request that they put long clothes on and coverd in shoes.
Some people arent afraid of venomous snakes as such ,but do understand that they are not capable of removing them ,and so with these people I recommend change of clothes.
Others that are frightened are asked to be standing well and truely away and no matter what,I would NEVER have a minor any where near me even if they claimed they were not scared..
As far as structure goes ,before I would do anything ,like remove or break ,the owner would be well informed and would have to give me the go ahead and in rental situations the real estate or owner would have to be informed and give me the go ahead .so basically I cover my ground before I start .
I dont have public liability.

Its a rort.
From memory relocators need $2million public liability coverage and it dosn't even cover snake bite.
This is why alot of older people got out of the game. Best bet is to join Wires and use their insurance to catch & release Reptiles.

Its a rort.
From memory relocators need $2million public liability coverage and it dosn't even cover snake bite.
This is why alot of older people got out of the game. Best bet is to join Wires and use their insurance to catch & release Reptiles.
QLD doesnt run through wires......;)

It is also advisable that if you give any information or advice you should have professional indemnity insurance as well. That means if you tell a person how to clean up their yard or do basic snake bite first aid you should have it. Our policies cover all aspects but we are demonstrators as well as relocators, it costs us about $15k per year (it is income based) and covers us for up to $20M

It is also advisable that if you give any information or advice you should have professional indemnity insurance as well. That means if you tell a person how to clean up their yard or do basic snake bite first aid you should have it. Our policies cover all aspects but we are demonstrators as well as relocators, it costs us about $15k per year (it is income based) and covers us for up to $20M
not like that up here ,he is only getting his DM to my understanding ...the insurance you should really look into is if you are working full time in another job and doing callouts as a part time ,then personal coverage against incident say bite or fall during a callout ,that way your still getting money whilst off from work .

Still waiting on the EPA for my DMP. Professional Indemnity might be a bit over the top but will depend on how big business gets! Public Liability covers your ladder tipping over and denting the hood of someone's car or, as you'd be collecting the snake on a professional level, if it slips away and bites the idiot who wanted to 'help', you are covered when he sues you.

OK so now your just doing your homework till the EPA sorts your permit out ...GOT ya bit blonde today ...well best of luck with everything ..dont get ripped off with insurance either ...

In my opinion;

A good topic raised, any person engaged in this practice, offering or providing any sort of advise should ensure they have proper insurance coverage, whether there services provided are paid or voluntary.

When younger, I previously held NSW NPWS "Catch & Release" Licenses, also a member of a Wildlife Voluntary Rescue Group and often called upon by local Councils, Police, Hospitals (did many snake ID's after people been bitten).

Once I discovered that I could be personally & financially liable if anything went wrong, I decided not to continue.

In a society where Australia has now overtaken USA for litigation (I now work as a part of it), sometimes I am shocked at some cases. Somebody elses Pain & Suffering is not always physical - could just be their mental anguish - frightened at the sight of you handling a reptile on their property.

People should always consider whatever they say and do, even volunteers should have insurance coverage and indemnify themselves against any loss. Otherwise you may lose your own house and become bankrupt under our legal system.

Disclaimer "Again, in my opinion".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back