Introduced animal species

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oddly enough we have introduced natives in WA. The rainbow lorikeet is a pest here taking our native parrots nesting sites and food. Kukabaras have also been introduced here. Still I'd rather them than things that aren't Australian.
Seen plenty of deer, goats, foxes, rabbits, cats, horses, donkeys, camels and all the usual introduced birds.. bloody english bringing those floggin black birds, sparrows and starlings........

Theres a few raindeers up this way running around,i seen one out the front cheewing on grass,yelled out to my daughter,and said quick theres a raindeer out here,she ran out looked up in the sky and said she couldnt see it,i told her over there,pointing to the deer.Apparently these were on a farm,but the farmer got sick off them,open the gate.The council were going to destroy them,

i wish we got raindeer here apprently they have some nice racks and taste fantastic but we dont they require very cold weather year round they would die very quickly here. what youve seen are fallow deer or sandbar deer. raindeer have very long shaggy almost black fur where as the deer we get in australia are mostly a sandy brown with the exception of a sandbar deer wich has short yellow grey fur and truly stinks you can smell them a couple of hundred meters away they are also the biggest deer we get in australia probably because they arent technically deer they are elk. if youd ever seen an adult sandbar youd know it they make a big horse look like a pony. you could have also soon a red or hog deer depending on where you live.

Dingos are aussie all round mate.... everything has come from all over... but dingos u can't find anywhere else. they may have been from god knows where 1000's of years back but they have changed into aussie dogs now so not introduced.

People who are first generation Aussie call themselves Australian so I think you're right.. 1000+ years is good enough for me ;)
http://www.australianfauna.com/dingo.php

Dingos are aussie all round mate.... everything has come from all over... but dingos u can't find anywhere else. they may have been from god knows where 1000's of years back but they have changed into aussie dogs now so not introduced.

They are also found in many parts of South-East Asia. 3,000 years doesn't change an animal that much in evolutionary terms. Agreed they are a part of our natural ecosystem now, but they are not uniquely Australian.

Check out the link if you want some more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingo

Some of our worst introduced species have been plants, not animals, though introduced animals seem to steal the show, as the changing of habitat isn't as dramatic as a fox eating a parrot.

Some of our worst introduced species have been plants, not animals, though introduced animals seem to steal the show, as the changing of habitat isn't as dramatic as a fox eating a parrot.

Especially when you think of introduced grasses used for cattle fodder. Good point!

what youve seen are fallow deer or sandbar deer. raindeer have very long shaggy almost black fur where as the deer we get in australia are mostly a sandy brown with the exception of a sandbar deer wich has short yellow grey fur and truly stinks you can smell them a couple of hundred meters away they are also the biggest deer we get in australia probably because they arent technically deer they are elk.
I disagree with your discription of deer species. Sambar are the third largest deer in the world after Moose and Elk. They are not closely related to Elk like Red deer or Sika deer are which can all interbreed, and Elk are a species of deer. Bucks in the rut can have a strong oder, but Sambar have less than the European species. In Australia we have Fallow and Red deer which are European, and Sambar, Rusa and Hog deer which are Asian species from the Indian regon.

The introduced animal living in the wild in Australia I would most like to see is the escaped Pigmy Hippo living on Tiperary Station in the NT.

I haven't read the thread too closely but no mention of cattle and sheep or horses. It's also funny that white humans can consider themselves Australian even if not born here but introduced animals that have been here for 100's of years are exotic pests and guess which one does the most harm ? ;)

Question? Does anyone really think that we have Australian dingo's in Aus anymore? Am a fence sitter but am in Agree with both sides of the debate of where they originate. I agree they 'wandered' ova but they have/had there own DNA group which was/is similar to wild dogs of some Asian continents but from wat i've heard of late they are all cross- breeds now mating n forming packs with domestic feral dogs that have gone walk about or dumped by owners....there a suggestion that there prue DNA is long gone?? Am a dreamer but i've always wanted to set up my own Dingo sanctuary using Australia Dingo's (n there unique dna) but i fear by the time i get my dream on a roll it will be too late?? Boooooo I think one of the only population of Aus dingoes that might have pure dna would be on Fraser? Spose it just depends wether there are domestic dogs allowed on the island which i think is a no cause it's national park (i think) but once again am sure some idiot/yob would of taken a dog there 'i'd put money on it' for sure....any info/facts to back my theory up???????, such an interesting topic to me

I haven't read the thread too closely but no mention of cattle and sheep or horses. It's also funny that white humans can consider themselves Australian even if not born here but introduced animals that have been here for 100's of years are exotic pests and guess which one does the most harm ? ;)

Pauline Hanson has said it...

You said it for me...

Have you been to eg Garden City to play 'Spot the Aussie' lately?

also have you been along the new section of the Mt Lindsay Highway and seen the road kill - animals, birds, reptiles etc driven out of their homes to make way for 'humans'?

maybe I had best stop there as I am (at least) a 4th generation import to this country but still an import initially.

I have been to Garden City a few times but never consciously looked for Aboriginals to be honest.

I think you may have misunderstood my point if you liken what I said to anything Hanson has said.

Have you been to eg Garden City to play 'Spot the Aussie' lately?
I take exception to that comment. I shop at Garden City, I wear a muslim head scarf and I am a sixth generation Australian and damn proud of it. What is your point?

I think the point may have been that some only consider people of Anglo Saxon appearance to be real 'Aussies' ? A very odd belief seeing as the whole country since the late 1700's has been built on immigration from around the world.

I have been to Garden City a few times but never consciously looked for Aboriginals to be honest.

I think you may have misunderstood my point if you liken what I said to anything Hanson has said.

Don't worry, I didn't think any of what you said sounded Hansonesque. I think someone else may have just exposed a little bit of rouge of the back of their neck......

Thank you, it did worry me that it could have come across as agreeing with that women.

No boa, you made a valid point that had nothing to do with what MrsDragonLady is implying.

Dingoes have been here 3,000-8,000 years. People have been here 40,000-60,000 years. Dingoes came here most likely with Asian traders, not with aboriginal people. You can see semi-wild dingoes in Bali and other parts of South-East Asia.

Oh haha I was waaay out. But still, 3-8000 years is a long time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back