Introduced animal species

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hedgehogs??! That would be awesomeness, untill it starts eating native things, but still be cool to see one of those up close

They're really boring and can escape from anything!
They're every where in NZ and when I was a little kid I used to catch them and keep them, and man they can climb!
I only kept the ones that came out at day time, as they were usually sick, but some how they would escape, which is good as I would rather them be in the wild now than in a cage, they don't pose much of a threat to the few native animals we have over there.

Dingos play a very important ecological role. Regardless of what you think is native or non-native,they are vital for the survival of native animal species, particularly in arid regions.

-H

Dingos aren't a protected species. Should be, but then the worlds longest man-made structure would no longer have a purpose.

Theres a few raindeers up this way running around,i seen one out the front cheewing on grass,yelled out to my daughter,and said quick theres a raindeer out here,she ran out looked up in the sky and said she couldnt see it,i told her over there,pointing to the deer.Apparently these were on a farm,but the farmer got sick off them,open the gate.The council were going to destroy them,

Oh 1 thing about dingos, they aren't considered native yet, right?
Yet they came around the same time as Aboriginal's, yet they are....

Dingoes have been here 3,000-8,000 years. People have been here 40,000-60,000 years. Dingoes came here most likely with Asian traders, not with aboriginal people. You can see semi-wild dingoes in Bali and other parts of South-East Asia.

good point man how weird is that. niether aboriginals or dingos originated in australia they both just kinda wondered over from another landmass. .

Getting to another land mass by boat is a bit more than just "wandering". I don't think people would consider James Cook was "just kinda wandering" when he arrived here. Not having a go at you, but I'm not too sure about your use of language in this post.

It is an interesting point though. All of our native rats and mice, many of our native birds and many of our reptiles arrived here from other land masses after Australia was separated from the rest of the world (many of them have changed very little since they arrived). At what point do they become native? Would Indian Mynahs be considered native if they had flown here by themselves 50 years ago rather than bought here by us?

Theres a few raindeers up this way running around,i seen one out the front cheewing on grass,yelled out to my daughter,and said quick theres a raindeer out here,she ran out looked up in the sky and said she couldnt see it,i told her over there,pointing to the deer.Apparently these were on a farm,but the farmer got sick off them,open the gate.The council were going to destroy them,

Reindeer or Fallow deer? I know we have Fallow deer, never heard of reindeer even existing in Australia either domestic or wild. Might be wrong though......

Last edited:
outback = goats, donkeys, horses, camels, cats...can I stop now...:)

This dragged me off somewhere on some tribal land enroute to Uluru (yes I had a permit) :)

Camels Outback N.T.jpg

What species of Hedgehog are rumoured to be in Australia? The english hedgehog or one of the pygmy types from africa? Growing up in the UK the english hedgehogs were so cute, but they are the worst carriers of fleas! We used to feed them at night on the patio and boy they need to learn table manners! lol

Dingos play a very important ecological role. Regardless of what you think is native or non-native,they are vital for the survival of native animal species, particularly in arid regions.

Not sure the "tassie" devils and tigers that used to live on the mainland would agree

Not sure the "tassie" devils and tigers that used to live on the mainland would agree

Very true, but done is done. Im sure the protection of dingoes to prevent meso-predator release (meso-predators in the form of cats and foxes) on the mainland outwieghs the need to avenge the deaths of native animals that were previously here. It was, afterall, humans that delt the final blow to thylacines.

Go on youtube and type in ' Big black cat in Australia'
and enter the first video.
There is footage of them, i'm still not sure if its fake:S
Most likely just feral cats.

Reindeer or Fallow deer? I know we have Fallow deer, never heard of reindeer even existing in Australia either domestic or wild. Might be wrong though......
Couldnt tell you which one they are,they are all the same to me.These ones are fairly big thou.

Dingos are aussie all round mate.... everything has come from all over... but dingos u can't find anywhere else. they may have been from god knows where 1000's of years back but they have changed into aussie dogs now so not introduced.

cane toads are everywhere in qld. and same with asian gecko's....

I have a very large population of Rusa Deer at my back doorstep, they are a utter pain, though some recent culling has done wonders of late. You can still see them very night in the suburbs of Bundeena and Maianbar in the Royal NP.
If you want to open your eyes on the subject, read Tim Low's "Feral Future" books, it recounts some amazing things like Quote [ Remarkably, antelope were still being set free during the 1930s, when Taronga Zoo bred blackbuck, they were released into the Royal N.P. near Sydney, but bush there is much too thick and they were not seen again] end quote.
and thats just the start.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back