Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DA_GRIZ

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey all

i am hoping to buy another snake at the end of the year and have come down to a woma or bhp and i was just wondering if you could tell me what your opinions are on these snakes, what you have found better to handle and keep etc

cheers matt

i have not got bhps as yet but i must say my wa womas are fantastic to keep. their behaviour is fantastic to watch, head bobbing and tail flicking at meal time, and a treat to handle, funny little snakes to watch. neither has shown any aggression. their size is very managable not getting much bigger than antaresia also which is a plus when i haven't much room. They definately won't dissapoint if you purchase some in the future.

thanks ozzie.

at the moment i am liking the sound of both the same from people i have talked to. however there is alot more womas that take my eyes then bhps,

so anymore help and info from keepers would be appreciated

grizz,
from my dealings with them (having nt bhp's and brother in law has woma's) they both handle quite well and have similar personalty traits in that sense.
however, i find the bhp's more agressive feaders and a bit more defensive in the enclosure (well my male anyway, the girls fine). also the obvious size difference and hence larger feading and enclosure requirements.

just get both mate, then you won't have a problem deciding

Da Griz, I have a pair of womas and one BHP at the moment. Both types are great snakes to keep but my personal choice would be woma. They are really relaxed, placid snakes in my opinion, more so than my BHP (although he is pretty chilled too besides the odd hiss lol). I have had people who don't like snakes and won't touch my diamond python or BHP warm to the womas and want to handle them, they are that sweet a snake. They are all very active, especially in the evenings, although the womas seem a little more inquisitive than my BHP. Both are easy and a joy to keep from my point of view. Hard decision to make, but either way you won't be disappointed!

thanks everyone.

maybe i will have to get a pair of each.

I struggled with the same decision a few months ago DA _GRIZ and ended up with a Jungle,go figure.
But i still have a thing for BHPs and intend on getting 1 or 2 in the future.

I struggled with the same decision a few months ago DA _GRIZ and ended up with a Jungle,go figure.
But i still have a thing for BHPs and intend on getting 1 or 2 in the future.

hahaha funny i really want jungles to but they can wait abit longer i think

I have few womas and blackeded in my collection. Love all of them. Woma is more active in the cage by my opinion.

I dont have any experience with womas but my BHP is fantastic. Not cage protective, happy to be handled, never missed a feed, really relaxed snake (though i know that to a degree this is more dependant on the individual rather than the species).
He was my first snake and i have to say that i found him a really easy beginner snake.

Ive only had my 5month old BHP for just over 3 weeks,in that time,once he settled he his awesome,hes had a couple feeds and still hes a bit jumpy,he should calm down with time.I cant wait til i get my female.As ive never had any Womas i cant comment...but what i gather they are just as good.Best of luck with your decisision,make things easier buy a pair of both...

My woma boy is awesome to look at and has a great personality!!! an impulse buy that I can't really ever see myself regretting!!!!

oh another question.

what size enclosures do both require when adults?

WOMAS, WOMAS, WOMAS! havnt got any BHP's (yet), but my womas are awesome snakes to keep. Although they look like they want to eat you sometimes, they have never tried to take a piece out of me outside their enclosures. Once they are out they are a very relaxed snake. They also have never refused a feed for me. I keep my pair in a 1000 x 600 x 600 each.

Womas are awesome :D
I have both and like both, but prefer womas for their size and behaviour.

Obviously they are very similar but if I could only keep 1 pair out from my QLD or NT BHP's & SA or Uluru womas it would be the SA womas due to the larger size & their beautiful nature.
Whatever you choose I am sure you will be happy they are the top choice if you want a snake to handle any time, they are hardy & robust animals & the womas are terrific for children:D

its a tough call and one I mulled over for a while.....i got a few womas and then ended up getting a pair of BHPs as well. I dont know which I like more, but I guess one big thing going for womas (excpet for SA form) is that they take up less space. My male BHP is a big cage defensive but fine once out, whereas my female is fine but occasionally will just push her head up against you and then try to eat you so now she is getting bigger I am always wary when handling her. The womas are probably a bit more interesting to watch with the tail wagging, head bobbing etc but BHPs are impressive with there size....

They are both great snakes I think and the main time to be carefull is when they think food is on offer....

Let us know what you decide....

Cheers,
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back