handling a wild adult coastal python? (by a novice)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful snake ...if he is down on your verandah and your curious as to want to touch him/her ...reach out and touch ,when I do callouts and get big pythons most of the time they behave better when being held then the smaller ones do ...it is illegal to remove from your property ..but interaction on your property as long as its not being cruel,I wouldnt worry ..if you got the balls to wanna interact go for it,I wouldnt go for the holding though as it being the size it is ,you could end up in a bit of a situation if it went wrong ...dont feed though ...and dont remove from your verandah ...I reckon he is around 8 feet as my hubby is a carpenter and we were going on your rafter picture and him knowing how far apart each one is ...so 8 foot is a nice size ,good on you for wanting him to stay there as most people want them gone at that size :)

As previously pointed out it may not take kindly to human interaction. Best to just admire it from a distance and don't feed it as it's there because its needs (food, water & shelter) are already met. Rainbow-Serpent I wouldn't be too concerned about being prosecuted by the authorities for handling wild blue toungues in your backyard. If the authorities were to go down that path just about every person with an interest in reptiles would be locked up because I think we all have been guilty of handling the odd wild reptile at some stage.

Great animal to have living in your roof for sure, you won't have a possum / rodent problem, even big enough to do away with a few cats...

Wow what a great snake to be living around your home. You are so lucky to be able to hang out and watch him cruise around the place. The snake is obviously happy with sharing your house!

make sure you keep any cats you may own inside .....
That might be the reason the snake is hanging around,nice carpet,although i think it would be around 7-8 foot....keep those pictures coming,The chick in one off the photos doesnt look too amused...

Awesome i would love that living in my roof although i would never keep my youngest son away from it he is only 16 months and already loves his herps.

Well if he/she/it doesn't mind slithering around when you guys are on the veranda then 'm sure you could go and touch or stroke its tail. I've heard somewhere that those snakes make great pets bacause they rarely bite in captivity and are even reluctant to bite in the wild. But don't test that! a snake that size will cause a lot of damage. But if the snake knows you are coming I don't see why it wouldn't let you touch it. You are so lucky to have a snake like that in your roof! I'm green with envy!

10 foot? how did you measure it if you havn't touched it. Looks more like 5 or 6 foot.

10 foot? how did you measure it if you havn't touched it. Looks more like 5 or 6 foot.

our verandah is 9 ft wide - when he's crossing with his head at one end and tail at the other there is quite a bit of him in the middle not stretched out

It'll get used to you being around (looks like it is already) and really won't bother you. Just be careful walking around outside at night in case you accidently step on it. Even if the carpet bites you, it'll hurt a bit, but it's not going to take you down to the ground and eat you :lol:

I love how everyone says its illegal with lots of Ohhh's and Ahhhh's......because while it is NOTHING will ever happen to you by moving it gently with a broom handle etc should it be in a precarious position on your property. Damn, people are out flattening these beautiful creatures with shovels and cars and posting the results on Youtube without any legal ramifications what-so-ever. So local authorities, whilst its on your private property won't do sqwat about you moving it.

Beautiful snake by the way. You're lucky to live in an area like that ;)

Bob he/she is lovely enjoy having it around ...KS even in the pics you can see he is bigger then 5-6 foot ...

Have you been lucky enough to see it feeding?

not actually seen him eat anything but I can remember the first time I saw him about 5 or 6 years ago ... I was raking a pile of leaves in the garden and uncovered a snake that looked to be about a 8 inches around ! (talk about kak me daks!)

once I got the courage to go back over I could see it was a big lump in a smaller snake and moved a few more leaves and realised he had just swallowed something fairly large

the other funny part of that story was as I moved a few more leaves away there was also a very large blue tongue lizard almost head to head with the snake - he obviously didn't know the snake was there but when he saw it you could see him do a double take .. then run off - very funny sight seeing a blue tongue do a double take!

Man i wish i had wild pythons here in Adelaide living in my yard that would be cool. I certainly would pick it up if it was in my backyard to have a little hold. I love the way people say it would cause a load of damage what a load of crap. Ive been bitten by big pythons before yes there can be lots of blood but once you wipe it away you can hardly even see the punctures it's the fear of the unknown for some people that does the most damage anyways you decide. If you approach it the right way and keep it away from your face you should be fine.

Last edited:
its not damage to the idiot pick up the snake we are worried about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back