handling a wild adult coastal python? (by a novice)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swahili_bob

Reaction score
Hi

I have a 10ft long coastal python living in my roof in Northern NSW - it has been resident for at least 5 years.

I am a novice at snake handing (you know reptile shows etc) - but i would love to be able handle the snake occasionally when it is on our verandah.

Is it safe to just walk up to it or should I coax it with food etc first?

I wouldn't recommend handling him. I think it may also be illegal to.

Coaxing with food will trigger a feeding response.

ok - so if I sat near it and let it come to me - would that work ?

I am in the bush - so it is not a pet -so I don't see how it could be illegal ?

They dont all like being picked up,just admire from a safe distance.Take us some pictures we would all rather see that.

They dont all like being picked up,just admire from a safe distance.Take us some pictures we would all rather see that.

i dunno about you i;d prefer to see the mess if it bit them.lol

it is illegal to pick up wild reptiles without a permit to do so. best just leave it

Just admire it from a distance - look at it from the snake's perspective, he doesn't gain anything by interacting with you, except possibly stress...

ok - so if I sat near it and let it come to me - would that work ?......?

Are you serious? LMAO that is the funniest thing I have heard :lol: I don't mean that in a bad way. But yeah just sit back and call it and it might come to you :lol:

I am sorry. But seriously, why do you want him out? If he isn't harassing you or your animals then let him stay. He will keep the rats out and certainly won't be sneaking up to attack you. I would LOVE a wild reptile to take up residence in my yard. Specially an old python like that :D

you'll def be safe,its jsut s python..maybe a few stitches or a flesh wound..if u whant one..lol.....OI dude..best thing to do is to just leave it and observe it doing its own natural thing,u interfearing with it might make it move off,and by feeding it...umm a wild snake mostly and prolly wont take food from hands no matter what it is,and it is porbably feeding fine buy itselfs (hence why its been there for so long)..so yeah,jsut watch and observe :) no need to handle it or feed it...as a hunded people on here will tell u the same
cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Swahili bob, i would say that if the python is not a threat to you, perhaps you have small children or something like that? Or it may be in danger do not handle it. The only time i ever picked up a wild python was when me and my friend saw a carpet basking across the high way and we moved it to a tree.

if you do decide to entice it with food for a cuddle, (which i dont reccomend) please please please PLEASE... video it.

if you do decide to entice it with food for a cuddle, (which i dont reccomend) please please please PLEASE... video it.
Well said Renagade,come on,its only a baby,just a 10foot one.Any pictures or video would be appreciated on here...

Picking up wild reptiles is illegal!?:oops:

When I was a little kid, I used to pick up bluetongues that were in our yard, there was one big one in particular which I named Fatty, that would just come to me:)

I agree with what was said, post pics of the mess:D

ok, ok point taken

I will leave it alone - it's just that it seems so cruisy and does not mind us at all when it's on the verandah and we walk past it etc.

the last thing I want is for it to leave

anyhow - here's some pics

DSC01905.jpg

DSC01906.jpg

DSC01907.jpg

DSC01929.jpg

snake1.jpg

snake2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back