Windows 7

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Likewise, progress is overrated.

Hey, I'm with you guys! I've only just started coming round to XP! Give me a UNIX-based platform any day! ;)

Has anyone had a look at the network capabilities and limitations of 7? I.e. Has anyone set it up on a 30+ client/server network? I'll be waiting till at least the first Service Pack, but from most of the comments here, everyone seems to be liking it...

Nic

i have vista on the laptop and hate it, and have xp on the desk top and love it :).... whats the minimum specs needed for 7? same as vista? my lappy only has 1 gig of ram and trying to run vista on 1gig is a pain :(

Lemme check Hobbo...

FROM MICROSOFT SITE:

If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:

• 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
  • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
  • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
  • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

So basically a gig of RAM for the 32 bit version will suffice- in the case of W7, I only use around 50MB of system RAM from what I have seen; although of course Photoshop and streaming video eats up a little bit- but for a home system that does not require large RAM heavy software like PS or Video editing progs, you will be fine- it runs MUCH smoother than Vista, and load up times, startup and shut down is pretty much instant- I was a little sceptical but I really like this OS.

Hey, I'm with you guys! I've only just started coming round to XP! Give me a UNIX-based platform any day! ;)

Has anyone had a look at the network capabilities and limitations of 7? I.e. Has anyone set it up on a 30+ client/server network? I'll be waiting till at least the first Service Pack, but from most of the comments here, everyone seems to be liking it...

Nic

I was fooling around at TAFE last night with W7. Managed to setup a Windows 7 client to Windows Server 2000 with out too many hiccups, had a few DNS errors on the server side while trying to connect the client.... But managed to assign a few group policies to the client as well. But most of it was limited due to how old Server 2000 is.

Hey All

I have been testing it for ms for 2 years and think it is fantastic..

I could go on for ages but in short it has the features of Vista but runs like xp.. and compatibility is fine. There is a virtual xp machine in the ultimate for any programs that have issues with it and microsoft has now released a free anti virus called microsoft essentials.. It doesnt have the Heuristic algorithm that norton and the like have but it is pretty good.. and free..

It might not have been enough on just one thread - so here it is again for the world to see :)

It's clear that Gates and Hitler both had similar ideals on taking over the world!

Attachments

• Hidden Message.JPG
    Hidden Message.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 27
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back