security

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah he is lazy and slow but when he gets movin he does not stop real easy. he does not keep up with the collies but will try, and he will go most ppl that come into his yard.

Our security....our 5yo Staffy

Good luck getting into our place with her there!

ok so this is what she is usually doing but she really does fire up when she thinks there's someone/thing around the house that shouldn't be there!

My 'security' is my Staffy X Cattle dog. Very loving & protective. He goes off at everyone, even our friends (& my mother in law - good dog! :D ) But if you're brave enough to give him a pat - well then you're a friend for life ................. traitor! :evil:

Does anyone have any brands/companies etc that they use and are very happy with? I'm wanting exterior & interior security when I can afford it.

Cameras are a good deterent, though if when recognised the culprits usually get off scot free anyway, (do for shop lifting).
We find the best deterent is noise and flashing lights, they do not stay long with a blue flashing light and a siren. A back to base alarm is good, we have one where they security comapny rings three numbers if the alarm is triggered, if noone answers those numbers they send a car and the police. (calls home, a mobile for us then a the third numbers is normally another mobile or a friend who lives close).
We have friends in the shop down the street from us they have same sort of security Cameras/alarms etc, as we do, they were broken into the other night, they came in through the ceiling stole a thousand dollars worth of jewellery and were out within 40seconds. this was their forth break in in 12 months.
If they want to get in they will. we just try to limit the amount of time they will spend inside our last break in cost us over $14,000 worth of stock, thankfully we havent had another but it will be much less as they will not be able to take the time they did last time.
I hope it never happens to you I couldn't think of much worse than people breaking into my house to steal my pets.

Hi All
I am the first guy to say bring it on with having 18 Neapolitan mastiffs cruising around my yard. Apart from bolting the enclosures down and having locks on doors and offcourse alarms and nobody knowing you have herps. what other ways can you secure ?
cheers
Tim

Chris, You can get alarms now that ring your mobile, so you don't need to rely or pay for "back to base" unless you plan on being out of range for extended periods of time.

i has guns and can shoot a 1inch thick branch of a tree at 100 meters (check the dp).... nuff said

but really my plan once i have enough snakes to worry about security dogs and probably a ferret and locks on everything. probably a decent alarm system and cameras as well

Last edited:
thanks for the awesome replies everyone, youve given me some great ideas! :)
.....some of ur security systems are absolutely gorgeous!!
Kaos, 18 mastiffs? no wonder ur username is Kaos!! :p
yikes!!

good point with the noise and flashing lights TwinRivers, maybe a combination of that and the back to base alarm would be good. if i get a call on my mobile and im at work id be even further away than the back to base people,..
and cameras, im guessing a big obvious one out the front and the rest hidden would be the way to go, if theyre all visible they can avoid being caught on camera, if theyre not visible they wouldnt deter anyone.

all the enclosures are big and heavy, so im more worried about someone smashing them to get the animals inside than taking the whole lot, (moving the enlcosures IN took a day on its own) so im trying to make that room inaccessible, then again if they bring an axe they can smash thru the door.

in regards to weapons i was playing with the idea of getting a gun/gun license, but since that would have to be locked away at all times i dont like my chances of getting to it if i am home and in trouble.
i have some nice heavy scanpans though with a good swinging handle,.. :) i reckon i could knock someone out with one of them. :)

since i dont really have anything valuable though im not so worried about a highly planned operation like some of you would be, i dont have any jewellery, the telly is a thousand years old (so might have antique value, lol) and well beardies and breli are a dime a dozen. im more worried about kids wanting to cause kaos, kill a few things and trash the place.

so my plan is, 1 visible camera and a few hidden ones, a noisy flashing alarm, possibly back to base system, all of which would be a waste of time if they cut the power off. :(
locks on the cages, lock on the snake room door and bars on the snake room window.

id love to get a dog, but the fences are too short fro anything with teeth,...

thanks again! :)

btw Hooglabah, are ferrets a secret weapon i dont know about?
whats with that? :p

Most back to base alarms have a battery back up, I am not sure about other systems....most times ppl will not break in when you are home, so a loud alarm is good, but if it keeps going off then it will be ignored by neighbors but the alarm company will do something about it, it all depends on what you have to protect!

Hi All
I am the first guy to say bring it on with having 18 Neapolitan mastiffs cruising around my yard.

Are they the ones where the left legs taste like chocolate, the right legs taste like strawberry, and the body is vanilla?

Are they the ones where the left legs taste like chocolate, the right legs taste like strawberry, and the body is vanilla?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hi All
I am the first guy to say bring it on with having 18 Neapolitan mastiffs cruising around my yard.

Pics or it didn't even happen.....and pups don't count as guard dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back