security

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris1

cupcake
Reaction score
with the recent increase in reptile theft im getting a bit paranoid and thinking about how to make sure no one pinches my critters. Its not that theyre really worth much in a monetary sense, but id be heartbroken and so stressed if they were taken and i didnt know they were being cared for they way id like them to be.

i was thinking a few hidden cameras with sensors near the entrances/hallways, a lock on the snake room door and bars on the snake room windows.
the snake that doesnt live in the snake room would have a lock on his cage,...theres no way his cage will fit in the room.
and well the beardies are scattered all over the house by 10 am so theyre probably hard enough to find to be safe(ish)

do other people go to any effort to set up security?

what about the alarm that goes off at a security place and someone comes out to check on them?
that was a thought but i figure the theives would be long gone by the time someone came to check,..

just wondering what other people do?

thanks, Chris.

I pay for a back to base alarm system. Not a lot really they can do when the alarm goes of and the police arrive 30mins after the thieves are gone. Although it brought my contents insurance down a fair bit and makes any insurance claim a lot easier to get back.

I friend from work was telling about how they have insurance for their dog. Can we get insurance for our reptiles?

At the end of the day if I'm not home and someone wants in, their going to get in. They just have to get past the 2 pitt bulls roaming the house and the old lady from next door, I wonder if she knows any kungfu?

We have a large collection of reptiles that we have had to protect for a variety of reasons, we have a back to base monitored security system with door switches, motion detectors and for added safety fire alarms. We also have several cameras set up, it the room, around the yard and at the doors, these are hooked up to a hard drive and record 24hrs a day. We also have two large Rotties in the back yard....slows most people down!!!

All our reptiles are covered by insurance as they are used for commercial purposes, just like farm animals!

Can we get insurance for our reptiles?

There is NO insurance for reptiles in Australia. At least for those in a domestic sense. I looked into it when those snakes at the Gold Coast were stolen.

Snake Handler, I assume the insurance you have is only available to you because you have them for business?

And with cameras, aren't they only any good to watch your reps being stolen?
Unless the images are crystal clear, and the person is known to someone (and they don't cover up) how would you ever trace them?

Unless the images are crystal clear, and the person is known to someone (and they don't cover up) how would you ever trace them?

In the event some are stolen, I'd say some info is better than none at all. The main problem is if you don't have an uninterrupted power supply (UPS) for the hard drive running the security cams and they cut the power. The cameras are pretty much useless.

i reckon you set up an electric fence around each enclosure or some form of electric barrier and run it off the mains! lol :D should work... but nah on a serious note for my collections i have al cages bolted down and all enclosures locked plus i have another secret weapon but i can not tell coz it will stop any one....

i reckon you set up an electric fence around each enclosure or some form of electric barrier and run it off the mains! lol :D should work... but nah on a serious note for my collections i have al cages bolted down and all enclosures locked plus i have another secret weapon but i can not tell coz it will stop any one....

Chuck Norris?

haha not even chucky could get through this :p it is actually my pet poodle named fluffy! NOT

LOL poggle, we hav weapons hidden and scattered throughout the house too. hehe. i hav watched enough horror movies to turn into a sicko on them. lol. ok that sounds wrong doesnt it. lol but if someone breaks in when we are home, good luck to them getting out again.

hahah yeah i used to be a trainee copper and was tought how to use weapons..... well it just made me more paranoid others would use them on me... So one night i was at home alone, and the power went out, and youi know ya mind plays tricks on ya, and ya started to get the fight or flight syndrome... welll i looked around for one ofmy hidden weapons, nothing lol... but then *HALLELUAH* my nephew left his yo ho diablo at my home... so i pulled the string off and done i had 2 ninja sticks.... noices got louder and louder and closer and it was dark but to nervous to get some light (forgot i had my phone on me DER) but i paniced and went to go whack crazy only to realize i was trying to attack my suger glider :p yeah i was a softy lol

You can get livestock insurance, you just have to shop around, you can also get pet insurance which will cover reptiles, most items that you pay money for can be insured, you just have to look into it.

In terms of the camera's, they are for three purposes:
1. To deter people who think it will be an easy grab and go
2. to help identify the people who get through the rest of the systems
3. To prove to our insurance company that there was a theft and that we have been taking all the precautions that we can.

hahah yeah i used to be a trainee copper and was tought how to use weapons..... well it just made me more paranoid others would use them on me... So one night i was at home alone, and the power went out, and youi know ya mind plays tricks on ya, and ya started to get the fight or flight syndrome... welll i looked around for one ofmy hidden weapons, nothing lol... but then *HALLELUAH* my nephew left his yo ho diablo at my home... so i pulled the string off and done i had 2 ninja sticks.... noices got louder and louder and closer and it was dark but to nervous to get some light (forgot i had my phone on me DER) but i paniced and went to go whack crazy only to realize i was trying to attack my suger glider :p yeah i was a softy lol

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Sounds like a possible movie script - as a comedy!

Well, cameras and dogs seem to be the go
Our dog would stop anyone in their tracks. Doesn't matter to her how many times you have been to our place, or how often, she will still try to eat you the next time :D

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Sounds like a possible movie script - as a comedy!

Well, cameras and dogs seem to be the go
Our dog would stop anyone in their tracks. Doesn't matter to her how many times you have been to our place, or how often, she will still try to eat you the next time :D

Yeah same, my Shar-peis are very protective of "their" house, if you're a proper visiter we know about they will calm down after a while when they know you're not there to hurt anyone. But if someone was there and I'm not, my boy will go off, he probably wouldn't hurt anyone but he's bloody scary when he wants to be!

He's been startled by my hubby a couple of times and he gets really close before he realises who he actually is!! :rolleyes:

he probably cant see through all those wrinkles lol

he probably cant see through all those wrinkles lol

Yeah that's exactly it. There's a fold of skin on each side of their faces, so they can't see anything that isn't directly infront of them. They especially can't see too well in the dark either. But he does need to be fairly close to know who you are. But through windows he doesn't have the smell factor to help and he'll go nuts at anyone he doesn't recognise straight away.

Sorry bout the pic, was taken on my phone. But this one tough dog, shows here, he's hugging his teddy!! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Riley&Nala.jpg
    Riley&Nala.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 41
u need to get a good iron and maybe then he might be able to see better... iron out them wrinkles... nah i actually like those dogs. Nice lookers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back