3 1/2-4 foot Eastern Brown in chook house!!!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
finding a spot to relocate is not as easy as it seems sometimes. Eastern Brown snakes occupy a home range,and you do not want to release the snake outside of this area, imagine how well a terrestrial snake knows its own home range its lived in its entire life.
Some "rescues" are not well thought out and they are really "abductions".
i like to find a water coarse or thick grassy area very near where i capture the brown snake and release it there,somewhere it is not likely to cross roads and urban dwellings to get back to its home range.
i am very fussy about this,sometimes deliberating for some time before finally letting the snake go.

I believe research has shown EB's have a home range of only a few hectares (SP knows the paper I'm referring to), so I also try to release close by in suitable habitat. What amazes me is that many homes in the middle of my town have large EB's present, that likely were born and have lived all there lives around the property, and the owners have only just seen them "after 18 years". They are very good at keeping a low profile and staying out of our way. Good luck to them I say:)!

they havent been keeping a low profile in my tiny town, they are getting killed left right and center

finding a spot to relocate is not as easy as it seems sometimes. Eastern Brown snakes occupy a home range,and you do not want to release the snake outside of this area, imagine how well a terrestrial snake knows its own home range its lived in its entire life.
Some "rescues" are not well thought out and they are really "abductions".
i like to find a water coarse or thick grassy area very near where i capture the brown snake and release it there,somewhere it is not likely to cross roads and urban dwellings to get back to its home range.
i am very fussy about this,sometimes deliberating for some time before finally letting the snake go.

I believe research has shown EB's have a home range of only a few hectares (SP knows the paper I'm referring to), so I also try to release close by in suitable habitat. What amazes me is that many homes in the middle of my town have large EB's present, that likely were born and have lived all there lives around the property, and the owners have only just seen them "after 18 years". They are very good at keeping a low profile and staying out of our way. Good luck to them I say:)!

Do you have the name of the paper you mention or a copy of it you can PM or email me?

I'm keen to read it.

cheers

While I can understand that snake fatalities may slightly increase I dont think it would be an automatic death sentence to relocate further afield especially in damper, more prey plentiful areas than Victoria

We move quite a few cobras here and usually a long way from where we caught them
Most of ours come from Legian and Seminyak which are densely populated areas
In all honesty I would never release a cobra close to human habitation here as they rarely do dry bites and usually move straight to the nearest house to set up permanent residence

We know that at least some of our retic burmese and cobra releases have worked at long distances because we have spotted them again a few months later
But the possible reason is that prey items and cover are much more easy to find in tropical areas??

Well done with the brownie op

Thanks rate, where I live there is no shortage of pray for them, I live in an area that is primarily crop dominated so no shortage of rodents around here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back