Reptiles Australia mag

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterrat

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Very seldom we read comments about this magazine - is it because not many people read it? Surely you are not all just pet owners out there.
I would have thought that Rick Shine's contribution would have sparked some response. It's not every day that you see article from people of his caliber in general magazine. :?

I buy both, S and T are sponsers of this site i think, but more importantly the actively have discussions here, maybe where there is a 2 way street, then you have traffic?

We subscribe to Scales & Tails Australia.

We used to subscribe to Reptiles Australia as well, but it would turn up extremely late, to the point where we wondered if they were going out of business.
When it came time to renew, we just didn't bother. Maybe those problems have been sorted out.

Scales & Tails on the other hand, always turns up in the letterbox on time :)

Wow, wow, this is not about preferences! Please read my opening post again.

What would you like to talk about Waterrat?

I don't buy the magazine because I'm a tightblank. I buy Herpetofauna instead, when it comes out.

What was Rick's article on?

-H

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, we subscribed from day 1. Never got a renewal form and was not aware that our subscription ran out and haven't seen it anywhere since.

Rick article is about the weird and wonderful herps we have here in Australia. Reptiles Australia is A+ IMO.
Having said that I do argee that some months it runs quiet late but still a fantastic mag the best $11 spent every 2 months

Michael, I have been a subscriber of RA since day one - yes, I read (and re-read, then re-read again!) Rick's article (amongst others...!) - are you referring to "They're A Weird Mob"... with your pics...?

Honestly, if I had the time, I would get out more, just because of his article and your pics! And, you did a very nice job on one of my favourite snakes, the Water Python, I might add...!

Seriously though, I got "told off" when hubby came home for lunch that day, and no lunch was ready... Where was I? Nose buried deep in the first article of Reptiles Australia! (oh, and the postie rocked up at 10.30 that morning!!!)

Rick, in my opinion, is a legend in the world of herpetology - anything he writes gets me in (as much as a Stephen King novel!)... He (Rick, that is!) NEEDS to write more!

Best,
Carolyn

Also very surprised not many people on here are saying they read it when (thank you Michael) there are twin GTP's to win but also included is all you need to raise them inc a years food Thank you Michael and Adrain

i subscribe to this magazine and buy scales and tails, However i won't renew. It is a good mag however it is wafer thin! surely they could fill this magazine out a little? There has to be more content out there.I have found most herp societies produce a better newsletter with more content and a "longer " read time than reptiles australia and scales and tails and they are put together by volunteers (check out odatria and its free to download). my mrs wonders why i buy them when i honestly read the whole thing in less than twenty minutes

Over seas reptile mags are as thick as a womens weekly and i read them for days! i can knock over our two home grown mags in two sittings in the "office" where as an alpha or ralph lasts a week or two.

I think that even if they had more ads in there it would be better, they could offer free advertising for herp clubs or do a detailed upcoming speakers and event calenders at the herp clubs or detailed product reviews or print some of molochs field trips or what ever.
I buy a magazine for entertainment and knowledge. The articles are good the quality is great but it too short on entertainment.

Fill those pages would be my tip- even if there the old non glossy b&w pages at the back for the page fillers

What would you like to talk about Waterrat?

Nothing really.
I just thought Rick's input not only to science but now to the general herp community is a monumental step forward because it bridges the gap. How often you see people arguing here about this and the other and eventually both sides referring to Risk's work and that of other researchers.
I hope that this thread will direct people to something worth while reading, well beyond the contents of any forum. If we don't support these magazines, and I mean both of them, we may not see another article from Rick and other high profile herpetologists.
My contribution in that issue was miniscule in comparison.

My contribution in that issue was miniscule in comparison.
aghhh modest but mate I read your articles and enjoy every minute.

we get this magazine as part of our VHS subscription havent seen the current issue yet so i guess its running late with delivery.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Rick had written an article.

At times R.A has come late but I still always get the 6 a year so I'm not to fussed on the date they arrive.

Both magazines do a great service in promoting the hobby in this country and for that I believe deserve our support.

I also subscribe to Herpetofauna, Herpetological Review, Reptiles USA, Journal of Herpetology and IRCF Reptiles and Amphibians among others.
Of the lot I enjoy our 2 the most. They are relevant and an easy read, written by friends or friends of friends and provide another link to those in the hobby.

For the relatively low cost shame on you if you don't subscribe...and if you write an article you get a yearly membership for free so there's no excuse people.

Having a "library" of reptile mags and books is one of the most important things for any serious reptile enthusiast, breeder or keeper. It allows you to access information at the drop of a hat when it is most needed. Old monitor magazines and reptile keeping books have saved me in my younger days when I either bred reptiles I had not bred before or had health issues and needed info. The web is very unreliable and has mixed info.
We subscribe to all Australian published mags as well as a couple overseas ones, and like most I get into trouble all the time for coming home with ANOTHER reptile book. An article from rick is as important to have in your collection as an article from a beginner and all serious reptile people should build up a good collection of info to back them up.:)
Mike

Yeh, was a good read, straight up asked the missus if I could get a dwarf crocodile. She said no. Still a good read, think I'm up for renewal better sort that out soon! May have to get a subscription to S&T as well as I am over the trip to the news agent. Yes, once every 2 months is too many trips!

i get both and think both are great,i subscribe to ra,and yes it comes late,i got the current issue from the newsagents as im impatient,lol,better late then never i say,alot of folk seem to put the mags down saying they lack pages and content ect,you cant please everyone with every issue,and im sure both publications would greatly appreciate some articles being submitted to them to publish

Ill only buy issues that have articles of interest to me. My fave is Herpetofauna thats got more field based articles. I hadnt read the Rick article but prob skim read it at the news agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back