Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Razzed

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm Scott, and I've been making my way towards owning a snake.
Loved them for ages, but never really got around to getting one, so have finally put in my application for a license and have been reading like crazy on care for them ( really don't want to get anything wrong!!). So I'm sure I'll be on here a fair bit, as forums are a great source for info by people who actually know what they're talking about :p

First Question I may have though is probably a common one. I'm looking through the lists of species and I'm getting a bit mixed up in it all :? I'm after a snake that won't grow to be too large ( space at home rather tight) but I hear the smaller ones tend to lean towards the slightly aggressive side. I hope to handle the snake a bit, not overly, but interaction would be nice. Also, an aboreal species would be cool, would love to watch them climb through the branches. Suggestions on which would best suite?

So, I hope to learn as much as i can, and meet others who love the animals :)

cheers,
Scott

nah little snakes aren't aggressive. where you've probably got that from is that tiny baby snakes (1 year old and under) can sometimes tend to be moer snappy as they are scared. but they tend to grow out of it.
my childreni used to be snappy as a hatchling but now 1 year old is handleable.
So really any spotted, childreni or stimsoni would suit you. I really like my spotteds, but I don't own stimsons. So really just have a look at those 3 species and decide which one you like :)

Hi and welcome. I don't know of any aboreals that are "small"....but I have a Stimsons and he is the most beautiful, fun, and easy to handle animal I could wish for. Very placid and cuddly and only grows to about a metre long. I guess it depends on your idea of "small" too. :) This is a great site and don't worry about feeling confused....everyone does. :)

Cheers, Annie

Yeah, alot to learn! loving every second :D

Between the different species, are there many major differences in keeping them? Which ones are available as far as licencing and availability to obtain?

It depends on where you live Razzed. Here in WA we have more restrictions than other states, so you'll have to check the laws pertaining to your particular state. WA has the strictest laws for owning reps than anywhere else.

Ok.....there are a lot of people on the forum from your area who would be happy to help you, just give them a little while to see your post and you'll be put on the right track. :)

i have recently got my first snake a spotted python and apart from once (when we first got her which was my fault) the kids and i who handle her most nights have never been bitten. she really seems to enjoy or tolerates it very well being handled. although not technically an aboreal species spot does climb things so it you had branches etc in your enclosure they do some climbing around

Hi Razzed.
The antaresia variety are a great snake....only grow to around a metre.
All snakes are individulas...you get your bitey ones in every species.
They say womas a beautiful. I have a pyscho one!!
I personally love the stimsons and childreni.
All mine have lovely natures. Some of the older ones are a bit cage defensive and will food bite only.
But are beautiful out of the cage.

I have found that pythons are a little more prone to stress in certain situations than lizards. they bite and stop eating if they are stressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back