where do you feed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yourasnake

Not so new Member
Reaction score
:oops: hi all just wondering where you let your snakes feed in their enclosures or what , my friend feeds his small snake out, and his large snake in ???

how do i start feeding our new snake , the plan is to play with him then feed him

IF you play with it first it might start to associate handling with feeding.
That wont be a good thing

Feed in the enclosure, in my opinion removing (handling) can cause stress prior to feed and they may not eat and then they need to be handled after feed if they do eat again possibly causing stress, If you are housing 2 or more together then separate to feed

i feed in the enclosure...never had a problem with them being aggressive.....

When I first got my Bredli I fed him in his click clack. When I shifted him to his proper enclosure with Aspen bedding I would take him out and feed him in a tub with a lid to prevent impaction as per the instructions on the package it comes in. After seeing a couple of feeding threads on here of people feeding outside on chairs and barstools I gave it a try and I don't think I'll do it in a tub anymore. He seems to love it and it seems easier for him as he is much much quicker and doesn't play with it so much.

If you only ever open the door of the enclosure to feed the snake then he would imeadiatly assume he is going to be fed in my opinion so if you feed him in the enclosure and make sure you play with im as well every couple of days to he will be fine i reckon.:)

personally i feed out. I pop her on the over turned lid of her click clack and feed there then i lift the lid and she goes back into her click clack on her own. I also hold the mouse with tongs or chopsticks (yes i'm serious) just so she does not associate my sons or my fingers with food. But i suppose each to their own. as long as you are not handling after a feed then i dont really think there is a right or wrong there just personal preference IMO

i do both depends wat im doing if im cleaning the cage i put on my bed or floor to feed then put back after it has eaten
then otha times i put in cage to eat

feed all of mine 'in'. but no playtime on feed days or a few days after,

flip a coin i think is the answer to this question. i feed one out because she has previously swallowed tan bark and i am petrified she will eat her substrate again. i still want her enclosure to look good, so i take her off her substrate to feed her.
the other one has eaten and passed his substrate on occasion with no issues so i feed him in.
both have great temperaments. i dont use tongs to feed either of them and have had no issues with feeding reflex or cage defensiveness.
every other snake i have had i have fed in, with exception to multiple snakes in one enclosure which i have seperated. still no issues with any of them either.

With my older coastal I have started feeding him in the enclosure lately. He is that laid back that I don't have to worry about him biting next time I get him out. The only thing I do with feeding him in the enclosure is make sure he is on a branch so he is off the substrate (aspen). And I always watch him, he has never dropped a feed, but I just do it for peace of mind. However it is a different story with my baby jungle, he still gets fed in a plastic tub, not because of the biting factor, just better.

mine dont associate playtime with feeding, they get way more play time than food ;)

i tend to feed mine out on the balcony, generally after a day in the aviary or sunning cages.

Attachments

• lokibellaeating.jpg
    lokibellaeating.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Lokieating.jpg
    Lokieating.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 84
thanks everyone, we did feed tonight and decided to go with the shoe box and tongs , after two a few sniffs , done and dusted such a awesome experience !!1 once again thanks for your kind help

feed them out

i started feeding my snakes in the cage and they started gettin food aggressive. and then every time i would put my hand in they would snap. so i have started feeding them out. so feed them out.

i started feeding my snakes in the cage and they started gettin food aggressive. and then every time i would put my hand in they would snap. so i have started feeding them out. so feed them out.

yeah we went with out of enclosure and into a shoe box and used tongs ,

I feed all my pythons in their cages with out any problems at all, but I do believe it is a personal choice. I have never been bitten yet even when changing water on feed days, maybe I have just been lucky so far lol.. Feeding in their cages suits me and them better plus they can go direct to their heat lamps after their feed..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back