Snakes living with rats, living with cats and dogs.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LIFES LIKE A BOX OF CHOCOLATES YA NEVER KNOW WHAT YA GONNA GET except in your case you obviously found all the NUTZZZZ

I now know why some topics are already covered and referred to. As it turns out, (Snakes and Pets) is a widely disscussed topic and i found the info i was after. Thankyou.
Was needing real life people and real life experiences.
Sorry it pains you Pythoninfinite,your comment re: that i wouldnt report back to APS, if my snake got eaten in the future,why concern yourself that i may or may not reply to a forum. -dude ur right off track,you'll give yourself a headache mate.
PS.on another note.,
Thought i may come across anyone doing Cert II Animal Studies>>Moving on to Vet Nursing IV. Need to get a local placement in Newy area, have already applied at the 'Hunter valley Zoo', if anyone knows of anywhere that can take a 1 year placement.

Hang on... where did I say you wouldn't report back to APS if things go pear shaped? I'm sure you're silly enough to let the world know just how stupid you are...

No headaches buddy, I always have plenty of Panadol on hand when I read posts like this...

How many zoo owners would be hanging out to employ a groundbreaker like you? If I was a zookeeper you'd be top of my list... NOT! Don't ask anyone here for a reference...

Jamie.

Who cares? Its only a rat, cat and a carpet. We can only hope something happens.

there is always a first for everything
but i dont see it as a complete diseaster obversely the plan worked and who cares i think everyone should mine there own business.
ever heard of the term ''if u dont have anything good to say, dont say it at all''........

but i dont see it as a complete diseaster obversely the plan worked and who cares i think everyone should mine there own business.
ever heard of the term ''if u dont have anything good to say, dont say it at all''........

Ever heard the term children should be seen and not heard?

Soundfix - I assumed when you first put these pics up here you weren't going to expect a warm fuzzy response - if you did I would then be worried. So I assumed you put it up there to get a rise out of everyone... And many obeyed both gladly and classically.

However... If you did this to get a warm fuzzy response - is there a site for funniest home photos?

Thought i may come across anyone doing Cert II Animal Studies>>Moving on to Vet Nursing IV. Need to get a local placement in Newy area, have already applied at the 'Hunter valley Zoo', if anyone knows of anywhere that can take a 1 year placement.

I would love for my animals to be in your care........ NOT.

You don't see it as a complete disaster? Do you keep Pythons and feed them rats? You can even rub a rat on your hand and handle your python, report back and let me know what happens...

There is always a first for everything, and this is not one of them.

I can guarantee that python will prey on that rat, time will tell.

Just curious, what are you going to do when the python does coil/constrict the live rat? break it's spine to save the rat?

I work with a salty that I'm sure you could prove to the world is a cuddler... if your still looking for a zoological placement?

I shape rice and veggies into rat shapes to feed my snakes. Unfortunately they break up when the snake tries to constrict them. Any ideas on how to stop this.

as much as i think sticking to the side of caution for the safety and health of you pets/animals etc, things like this do make me wonder how certain animal sociological connections work, i mean some of the things i have seen happily even playfully interacting would include.

cats and dogs
cats and rodents
a crocodile and turtle
a man and crocodile
a boy and a snake
sharks and divers
polar bears and sled dogs
cheetahs cubs and a fawn
lion and men

i mean these may well be flukes and one offs but surly there must be some kind of interactivity or connection with the animals that's beyond our grasp at this stage or its just my hopeful thinking. [links deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't make the mistake of thinking that mammalian 'thinking' bears any resemblance to reptilian reactions. A common problem here is that people assume that reptile 'thinking' processes are the same . They simply are not - reptiles are far more instinctive in their reactions, and this far harder to predict - therefore it's easier and safer to take no chances. If you ask around, you will find quite a few Lace Monitor owners whose 'tame' lacies have 'accidentally' cut them to the bone and they have required significant surgical repair.

You can quote heaps of exceptions... but they all relate to particular animals in managed circumstances. At the end of the day, the goose who started this thread sees himself as reinventing the wheel... It's all been done before, and universally the outcome is bad for the animals and bad for the owner.

Jamie.

I shape rice and veggies into rat shapes to feed my snakes. Unfortunately they break up when the snake tries to constrict them. Any ideas on how to stop this.

Sticky rice would work better :) The oldest living dog was fed a 100% vegan diet... I'm sure your snake will break records!!

guess what? supervised im sure it might be ok, cos then if it goes bad u can be there to try to fix it, but from experience when left to be the animal that they are, they will always go for it. examples, my bf's dog got one of his lizards when it got out, when supervised they were ok, also the other night my bf's cat plays with the beardies came inside chewing on a gecko...... and i know that his cat also goes for rats and mice outside, but the pet ones are ok when we are around, still.... i dont trust them. its just stupid. a firm NO from an owner can stop the animal then, but left alone and they will kill and eat any wildlife that moves.
ITS ONLY GOING TO BE YOUR LOSS

Don't make the mistake of thinking that mammalian 'thinking' bears any resemblance to reptilian reactions. A common problem here is that people assume that reptile 'thinking' processes are the same . They simply are not - reptiles are far more instinctive in their reactions, and this far harder to predict - therefore it's easier and safer to take no chances. If you ask around, you will find quite a few Lace Monitor owners whose 'tame' lacies have 'accidentally' cut them to the bone and they have required significant surgical repair.

You can quote heaps of exceptions... but they all relate to particular animals in managed circumstances. At the end of the day, the goose who started this thread sees himself as reinventing the wheel... It's all been done before, and universally the outcome is bad for the animals and bad for the owner.

Jamie.

I've seen dogs and cats that love each other, rats and guinea pigs, and even rats and dogs.... but Jamie's right, reptiles' brains are programmed for just about instinct alone, and there's no way that can end well. Even if the snake is just curious and wants to sniff Flower the rat, how do you know she won't react and rip into your snakes neck?

Just I bad idea from what I can see... Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back