Backyard Blue Tongue Invasion - Please Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have cats too and they don't give a continental, their not mindless killers..... That shoots your mindless theory.
You try and train a Jack Russell not to hunt..... it's their natural instinct.
She's on her own territory.

Sorry!!

train the dogs to leave them alone, it shouldn't take that much mindlest killing should be left to cats

hunting dogs dont just kill everything that comes into their territory.
shouldnt klill on the job either unless commanded to.

once they get a taste for blood that brings out more natural instincts. then a todler comes onto your property gets mauled. Oh sorry you try train a jack russel not to kill. yeah good one.

true, cats are mindful killers. natural predators, seek and destroy pets, gotta admire their abilities lol

What is your qualification/experience to be talking authoritatively on this subject?

hunting dogs dont just kill everything that comes into their territory.
shouldnt klill on the job either unless commanded to.

once they get a taste for blood that brings out more natural instincts. then a todler comes onto your property gets mauled. Oh sorry you try train a jack russel not to kill. yeah good one.

true, cats are mindful killers. natural predators, seek and destroy pets, gotta admire their abilities lol

This is my suggestion and its what i usually recommend if yopu seriously want to stop them entering your yard.
get 200mm wide lengths of Hardyplank or similar and trench them into the ground around your fence perimeter in a continuous end to end. the lizards can no longer come through and being bluetongues are unlikely to climb over it.

You obviously live near bushland & it would be the unseasonal wet conditions making them on the move.
Peters suggestion is the best of the lot, otherwise you won't stop them.

I am sick to death of irresponsible dog owners. They are no better than irresponsible cat owners. If you cant stop your dog killing wildlife either keep it inside, isolate your yard or dont have a dog. It is your responsibility not everyone elses and not the bloody lizards.

Discipline is a good start eh. Its not so much the hunting thats bad, I actually use my dogs to find skinks/lizards if need be, they know very well not to harm them. They've been raised around various animals big and small from day one and have always been shown whats ok, whats not. Now they know.

I just think some people should take more responsibility for their animals.
Surely your not suggesting all dogs just kill anything they come across?

Discipline is a good start eh. Its not so much the hunting thats bad, I actually use my dogs to find skinks/lizards if need be, they know very well not to harm them. They've been raised around various animals big and small from day one and have always been shown whats ok, whats not. Now they know.

I just think some people should take more responsibility for their animals.
Surely your not suggesting all dogs just kill anything they come across?

Having a bit of a moment are we? I asked a question, I didn't suggest anything. :rolleyes:

get some cheap chicken wire mesh with small holes used for budgie cages and put it all around at the bottom of your fence to block the holes and gaps-- if it is a 900mm high roll, just roll it out onto the lawn and cut it at 300mm high.
you will end up with a lot of long strips of wire mesh
you can nail the top to the bottom of your fence and dig a bit of a channel into the ground so the lizards can not enter your yard.
this is a good permanent solution as the lizards are not supposed to be removed and re located by law I am pretty sure also it is pretty awful to have the dogs killing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back