Because the pet shop told me so.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake-Supplies

Reaction score
I was told to take the cover off the light and replace it with a cage.

I was told the plastic guard on UV lights cut's down the UVB.
What they didn't answer was, does it cut it enough to make a vitamin D deficiency, or do any harm?

Any help would be appreciated.
I tried looking, but found nothing.

Yes the plastic on the light will filter out UV, Glass will also have the same effect.

Take the plastic off and replace it with a cage.

Quick question, are you using the UV tube for snakes or dragons?

A thing to try is to get a little UV tester, I got mine at the local Herp shop and cost me about $20, it will tell you at what distance how much UV is being produced. They are great of testing when to replace a tube, or the positioning of the tube.

Also some insight into this, I used to work for a surveillance mob, we of course used infra red LED camera's. The LED's sat behind a high impact acrylic and would see about 18M at night. However when the camera was placed behind a sheet of glass the LED's were rendered useless and couldn't see past the glass.

Regards
Luke

Wow for once a pet store has given some good advice. Get rid of the diffuser and use a cage.

there is no need for UV in a snakes enclosure, If fed correctly snakes get all
the nutrients from thier prey!

yep in your case just lease it on and save the stuffing around, no need for uv with pythons.

Not needed at all!
Pet shops alway tell people that it is something that you need for
a snake!
Its thier way of getting more money out of people that dont have a clue!

Leave as is, lights in snake enclosures are purely for show or heat.

No UV needed, however some people would argue UV is needed with diamonds.

I do keep UV on some diurnal snakes, however I don't think it's needed.

no need to yell beeman,

I'm just wondering if it's "the condom factor"
rather have one and not need it, than need it and not have one.

Mate i wasnt yelling at all! Just stating fact!

Go for your life and put one in but remember you have to replace it every 6 months!

True. snakes don't need Uv, however if you are going to put in a fluoro to light up the cage anyway, there is certainly no harm in it and if anything, would be beneficial to the animal to throw in a UV tube. I have quite a few enclosures with fluoros and UVB tubes in them and I am sure the snakes seem to be much happier from comparisions to other animals without it. JMO anyway.

Popular belief.... Most care sheets for Diamond recommend either UVA/B lighting or vitamin B supplements. I have never kept them and admittedly haven't read much on caring for them for the last two years or so, but a quick google returned thoughts similar to those I had read previously.

Do you know otherwise xxMelissaxx? I am happy to read more if you can offer me other text or articles on the care of Diamonds.........

I don't like it when people keep protesting saying that you don't need UV lights for pythons, theyre cheap, they create great display settings, gives better night and day cycles, and i truly believe there is a big link towards how bright the colours turn out on the pythons when using UV. Fair enough you might not need it, but i think its great to have them running at the low price they cost to maintain and they great advantages they have.

im currently going to put a UV repti globe 5.0 in my new tank, do you guys think a light cage is needed?

you all speak asif ALL pet stores don't know anything..
Maybe not all but some pet stores actually know their stuff and have a fair bit of experience and also do care bout the animals health.
Not all pet stores are in it to make a dollar.. well the bosses are but the employees will help as much as they can because it doesn't affect their pay.

Also although you don't need UV for snakes it is belived to help the colour of bredli's although this is not provin.
In the end if you do use UV it will only be beneficial no harm no foul..

Pythons don’t need UVB but they can surely benefit from it..
I know that im not going to spend $50 a globe (cost at store here) multiple times a year for a globe that isnt necessary but wont harm them, and is bascially just being used as a light. it seems pointless when i can get the same thing from a cheap lightbulb...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back