Carnivorous plants

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hornet i think they are white but they could even be yellow I cant remember to be honest
I have better pics in my computer but its crashed at the moment so I'll get a few up when its fixed

ok so my local bunnings is rubbish! They didn't have anything really interesting - only ventricosa seedlings :( Maybe the other one (which is bigger) has some more plants .....

I can't get any Nepenthes from any buntings around here, only some unknown Sarracenia and a VFT.

My N. ventricosa arrived today 
31ba4464-333d-332f.jpg

Yeah it was actually but half of it's pitchers were squashed, I'm sure some will recover, I also got a VFT no14 and some Sarracenia southern purple Seeds and Drosera stolonifera seeds.
Do you think the ventricosa will do ok in full sun or would you go 50%?

full sun as long as you dont let it dry out. Full sun will give better pitcher color. The crushed pitchers are no good but the plant will keep producing new ones so dont worry.

Cool thanks mate, I have cut the bottoms off coke bottles and sit the pots in them with some really nice expensive bottled water that my missus is horrified that I use for plants.

Oh wow I never realised there were so many varieties available for purchase, they are all incredible!

Cool thanks mate, I have cut the bottoms off coke bottles and sit the pots in them with some really nice expensive bottled water that my missus is horrified that I use for plants.

i suggest you do not use bottled water, not the expensive drinking water anyway. It contains too much dissolved minerals and will lead to the death of almost any CP bar nepenthes. Go to woolies and buy the cheap bottled water for using in irons, its reverse osmosis water and perfect for cp's

I seen that one in the cleaning section, the one I got said it has no salts, chlorine, metals, flouride and bacteria, I'll grab the other one when I go to woolies next.

I seen that one in the cleaning section, the one I got said it has no salts, chlorine, metals, flouride and bacteria, I'll grab the other one when I go to woolies next.

Most bottled drinking water contains stuff like magnesium, calcium, potassium etc etc which CP's hate. The RO water in the cleaning section is good and so is rainwater if you can have access to it.

Cool, I have buckets sitting outside, it's been raining all summer but now I have plants, nothing, Murpheys law.

so it looks like the bunnings up here is getting their ventricosas from Collectors Corner ..... that one looks exactly the same pot and potting mix as the one I got lol.
Big W was a bit of a bust as well ... not one Nep there :( Maybe in the next couple of weeks they will be getting more plants in as orders arrive from down south - fingers crossed.

The VFT and sarracenia that I got from bunnings down here are from collectors corner, I might check out my local Big W and KMart tomorrow

Wow there has been some nice plants photos posted.

Farma - you have a nice collection there. I love your sundews. Is that a N. gothica you've got there?

Geck82 - Why not get a quality filter on your kitchen tap? It is healthier for you and the plants. In the long run it will also be cheaper than bottled water. Hopefully once you explain the benefits to your wife she'll be happier lol. That ventricosa will improve with time and as hornet said more sun and she'll get nicer colouration.

Jumala
- Collectors corner seems to be supplying many of the retailers of late and whilst some of their plants have been great I have not been a fan of many of their neps. Could it be that the retailers don't pay attention to the plants or worry about their requirements once they are in store? Who knows but whatever the case keep an eye out and hopefully you'll get a good one soon and of course of a different variety to what you already have.

Here are a few pics of the thorelli x tiveyi that I received today. I got it from a seller on ebay. It is now one of my favourite Neps and fantastic looking plant (maybe I'm just biased :D).

thorelli x tiveyi.jpg

thorelli x tiveyi pitcher.jpg

thorelli x tiveyi pitcher 2.jpg

thorelli x tiveyi pitcher 3.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that is a really nice plant, I will look at getting a filter system on my tap if I don't kill the plants I already have. The missus will be easy to convince, she drinks water I drink bourbon :)
Oops, I just purchased more seeds, D. capensis and D. filiformis

You've become addicted Geck :). Beware it can be hard to stop. Please keep us updated on your growing and sprouting of the seeds.

Yeah, I'm getting a bit carried away aren't I? Oh well, whats one more hobby lol

Well they don't require cleaning up etc or feeding so you gotta be happy about that.

Filters do not make the water CP suitable, they do remove some of the dissolved solids but not like an RO system does. You can always buy a cheap portable RO system, can get them new for $50+$50 postage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back