Carnivorous plants

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen them come back from alot worse than that, if that's what you mean. Depends what it's growing in, if the nursery potted it themselves then you could probably do a better job making up your own mix then what it's in and give it a better go at life.

From what I've read they like plenty of drainage and aeration around the roots. What they are in is best described as mud, even the one from collectors corner looks pretty boggy to me.

Yeah, re-pot it then. Most of my mixes consist of Dendrobium orchid mix with a bit of perlite and vermiculite thrown in. I don't have any percentages for you, I usually just buy a 12L bag of orchid mix and put a couple of handfuls of the other 2 in, wet it all down and mix it around before you pot into it.

Someone else will be able to enlighten you as to a more specific mix no doubt, that's just what's worked for me, but most of mine are pretty hardy plants.

I just re potted both my Neps and the root systems on both looked pretty crappy.
31b5f964-7f42-8241.jpg

Sorry pic is upside down, dam iPhone.
I used roughly 2 parts sphagnum moss, 1 part propagation sand, 1 part coconut fibre and 1 part perlite.

Jumala - I'm watching your cutting experiment with great interest. The dark form of N. albomarginata is a stunning lowland plant. Sadly I can only keep intermediates and highlanders due to my set up.

Hornet - That is one awesome plant. What a great buy. Unfortunately we did not get the large sized plants down here or at least not yet. If we do I'll purchase a few.

Geck - That tobaica x does look a little sad but is by no means near death. It should be a fairly easy plant to care for and to get going again. The exciting part for me is the effect N. ampullaria has on its pitchers. e.g colour, shape, peristome. Keep us updated with pics if you can.

On to your root systems. Many Nepenthes have poor root systems which can be quite fragile. The root system in your photo actually looks quite good. Was the mix you used for potting suggested to you?

Rednut - There are as you know too many mixes to list. I'd have to say though that your mix is one of the most commonly used and readily available (I use a mix like yours on a few of my plants). I like the fact that it is quite free draining and ideal for people fertilizing their neps. Such a mix is also ideal for many of the common hybrids.

Was the mix you used for potting suggested to you?
No, I had a look at a few different websites and seen that everyone has a different mix that they use so I basically just grabbed anything that I had lying around here that people use in their mixes. Do you think it should be ok?

Geck I'd suggest in future a mix like rednut uses for your two neps. You could trial your mix and see how it goes. I'm worried though about the possible release of sodium from your coconut fibre which could cause issues for your plants.

I will repot them tomorrow, I'm better sticking with what is tried and true. Thanks Rednut & Kak

No problems Geck. As you've found searching the net there are so many mixes out there that people like to use. As such it can be confusing on deciding what to use as I found out when I first got into neps all those years ago.

Some mixes are suitable for one climate and others for another, some are better for use in fertilizing whilst others are not. All though should aim to allow for greater air around the roots and free drainage with a few exceptions. I am now at the point of experimenting with a number of mixes such as lava rock etc.

There is alot of conflicting info on the net, just like reptile keeping it is easy for newbies to get confused.

Geck I'd suggest in future a mix like rednut uses for your two neps. You could trial your mix and see how it goes. I'm worried though about the possible release of sodium from your coconut fibre which could cause issues for your plants.

Nope coco fiber is great for neps (not good for other cp's). Should have no issues using that. I repotted a few of my last years cuttings into a 50/50 coco peat/perlite mix and a 100% co**** coco fiber (orchid mix). Can also use azalea or african violet mix (50%) with perlite (50%). The stuff you describe as "mud" is pure peat moss and works very well on a commercial scale with controlled watering but not so good for hobbyists (its even used to commercially grow cacti). Dont ditch it, its quite expensive, you can mix it with perlite and use it for neps or mix with sand and use for any other cp. BTW that root system actually looks pretty bloody good for a nep, they normally have very very small root systems and the only use them for anchorage (a big like a bromeliad)

Crap, I already changed it, I used roughly 5 parts orchid mix, 1 part perlite and 1 part vermiculite, it looked very similar to what I made up. I kept all the old mixes so that I could mix it in with fresh stuff for re potting as I have my eye on a few Neps on eBay :)
At least none of the soil mixes used for CPs will go to waste, I can always use them for incubating eggs :)

Geck coco fiber has been used on a number of occasions with great success. I have spoken however to a number of growers here in OZ who have had sodium issues with the coco fiber they have obtained locally hence my recommendation against it. Tonight I spoke to one of the larger private growers who agreed with my warning however he has said that you could certainly use the mix again however make sure you thoroughly soak the coco fibre before use.

The peat moss hornet talks about is as he said used on a very commercial scale. It is used on many carnivorous plants such as vft's. If you search around you can pick up a 300litre bag for just under $50 like I do. If not it can cost you an arm and a leg at bunnings and local nurseries.

Peat moss can be used on your neps depending on the species. I would not use it on large number of neps but it certainly depends on the species and where they originate from. I would tend to go with an orchid mix as it provides more air in the mix than just a simple peat moss/sand or peat moss/perlite mix. Alternatively Long fibre sphagnum is also great. Peat however is great when mixed with propogating sand for VFT's and sarracenias. Perlite as well is quite cheap in large quantities. I buy a huge bag for $25.

I hope this helps and does not confuse. Hornet thank you for pointing out that coco fibre can be used. I should of elaborated on why I suggest against coco fibre's use. It is always good to hear and be able to learn from other growers points of view and experiences on such topics :).

Thanks guys, you are a wealth of knowledge. It's good fun learning something new :)

i would not use peat moss on its own, i hope it didnt sound like i was recommending using it by its self. Its fine on a commercial scale under controlled conditions but for us its a bit harder to get the watering just right. Its fine mixed with perlite or sand to make it more airy but i wouldnt use it by itself for neps. I'm yet to hear of any issues from using coco peat, i wash all mine before use so i guess that would help get rid of any sodium in the mix which wouldnt be as easy for growers to do on a commercial scale. Kak, any chance of letting us know where you get the 300l bags of peat moss from? I'm finding it hard to get locally for a good price, i currently mail order mine for about $2 per liter

Hornet I get my bags from a local agricultural supplier here on the Gold Coast who also provides me with long fibre sphagnum moss at a bargain rate. I'm sure though if people look at there local agricultural suppliers they should be able to get it at a good price. If you can't find it cheap and want a bag Let me know and i'll get it organised. Problem is I don't know when I'll be coming close to you.

what do you pay for your LFS? Is the peat moss you get pure sphagnum peat?

Hornet I get pure sphagnum peat sold as canadian team peat moss. It is I believe imported then bagged here in OZ. As for the LFS I can not honestly remember how much I paid or the size I got as I have so much now I don't need to buy any more. I can make some inquiries for you though.

That would be great Kak :)

Just had a check on my plants, my pygmy sundews that have been growing ever so slowly have finally started to take off and are now producing flower spikes :D

Hornet,

I've just got onto the supplier for you and can get lfs is you want. If you want a price give me a pm. Glad to hear your pygmy sundews are doing so well. I unfortunately do not have any sundews these days. When I move to a new house i'll make myself a bog garden full of sarras, sundews and vft's. Could you post up some pics of your pygmies for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back