A question?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mack86

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Quick question as I'm not sure if it's a concern as such and if I need to change something in my pythons husbandry.

Yesterday he shed again which is great, just over 5 weeks from the last. He is eating and toileting as normal. But the last week or two he's gone off his hides and prefers to hide under the paper towel. I'm sure it's just a case of "he just likes it under there" but I just wanted to check incase it could mean something and that I should look at the way I'm keeping him. Which for anyone who isn't aware - 14L Sistema, two black plastic hides you can get online and a water dish on paper towel. Hot side 32-34 cool 25-27 with current heat here in Brisbane.

Thanks !

Two possibilities immediately come to mind. He may feel more secure under the towelling that in the hides. Commercially produced hides are often too large, particularly in height. Alternatively, he may prefer the temperature in that particular spot, or perhaps even both. Either way, it is nothing to worry about as long as he is behaving normally in all other respects.

If you are curious, you can try providing some pill boxes as hides, with just the corner torn out and small enough so it is ‘a bit of a squeeze’ for him to fit inside. Place one next to each plastic hide, and one or two in between them, and then see if he utilises them.

Last edited:
Two possibilities immediately come to mind. He may feel more secure under the towelling that in the hides. Commercially produced hides are often too large, particularly in height. Alternatively, he may prefer the temperature in that particular spot, or perhaps even both. Either way, it is nothing to worry about as long as he is behaving normally in all other respects.

If you are curious, you can try providing some pill boxes as hides, with just the corner torn out and small enough so it is ‘a bit of a squeeze’ for him to fit inside. Place one next to each plastic hide, and one or two in between them, and then see if he utilises them.
Thank you for this, I haven't done quite as you've suggested as I didnt have any empty pill boxes and he has grown quite considerably so I'm unsure how he would even fit? (Perhaps that's my inexperience talking)
Nevertheless I have provided him with his favourite little terracotta pots again and he has not left them since :) I really love the simple black hides I got online but he uses them only after a feed. Picture attached below.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230215-093927.png
    Screenshot_20230215-093927.png
    405.8 KB · Views: 0
you'd be amazed how little space they actually need or use. My 5YO spotted python laid her eggs inside a cave previously used by a large bearded dragon WHILST she was sharing it with her boyfriend

I guess I could try a pill box next time I have an empty one. I'm sure he can squeeze in. He's back to under the paper towel. A pill box or something to that effect definitely seems the way to go. Thanks guys 😊

Back