New Sus scrofa in outdoor pen

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waruikazi

Legendary
Reaction score
I got these two yesterday, they are quite happily rolling around in the mud atm.

Photo029.jpg

Photo028.jpg

Their names are batman and spotty pig.

This is what i am going to do to them!

6a00d83454dcf769e20133ed524d22970b-800wi

We have had one for the last two years at x - mas on a spit Gordo and they are delicious.

Just make sure you worm them out if you are going to use all of the products from the pig, however if you are just roasting the meat, they will be fine without worming.

How does your Bully go around the pigs? They have a very strong natural prey drive and are one of the few dogs that will hang a pig straight up even if they have never seen them before.

Make sure you butcher them before they are too big. Little boars are perfect around 30 kilos and sows can be left to go longer. The 25 - 30 kilo mark is perfect for the spit roast though!

Also Gordo,
If you stay away from the pellets and just feed them grass, veges, fruit and roughage, you will have a far better pig for the table. Do not feed them any fish, meat or other foods high in protien as they will grow too quick and develop a stronger flavoured meat.

Cheers,
Nick

I'd get too attached to them... I like piggies... but I also like pork... and bacon... and ham...

J

Poor little piggies....they didn't choose to be so tasty... ;)

We have had one for the last two years at x - mas on a spit Gordo and they are delicious.

Just make sure you worm them out if you are going to use all of the products from the pig, however if you are just roasting the meat, they will be fine without worming.

How does your Bully go around the pigs? They have a very strong natural prey drive and are one of the few dogs that will hang a pig straight up even if they have never seen them before.

Make sure you butcher them before they are too big. Little boars are perfect around 30 kilos and sows can be left to go longer. The 25 - 30 kilo mark is perfect for the spit roast though!

Also Gordo,
If you stay away from the pellets and just feed them grass, veges, fruit and roughage, you will have a far better pig for the table. Do not feed them any fish, meat or other foods high in protien as they will grow too quick and develop a stronger flavoured meat.

Cheers,
Nick

My bully hates them! Lol, if one of them got out of the pen it would be his lunch. I don't hunt him but he has chased wild pigs before, i've never been around to see if he latched on or not but he's been snapping at the fence and doing his best to get hold especially while i'm around.

They've been captives since they were tiny piglets and wormed regularly. I'll be staying on top of it too so hopefully they'll be all good. We'll be having the big one in about a month as a porchetta. You bone them, fill them up with all herbs and spices, tie them back together and slow roast them on a spit. I can't wait!

I'd get too attached to them... I like piggies... but I also like pork... and bacon... and ham...

J

I do kinda like them, but they just look so tasty! I would eat them tomorrow if i could.

I went to a pig-on-a-spit once and it was so slow roasted it went off in the middle! Pretty yukky really! I think there has to be a balance between heating it through quick enough to prevent that, and not doing it so fast it gets tough & dry... I still would get too attached though...:(

J

I went to a pig-on-a-spit once and it was so slow roasted it went off in the middle! Pretty yukky really! I think there has to be a balance between heating it through quick enough to prevent that, and not doing it so fast it gets tough & dry... I still would get too attached though...:(

J

yuck... i'll definately be trying to avoid that! It must have been cooked for days...

have raised a few tasty porkers in my time,for extra white and smooth silky kind of meat give them a bottle of milf once a day.the meat absorbs the creaminess of the milk.straight from the cow is always best.

I am not sure if they still have it but they had a huge black and white boar at Mudginberri Community called Collingwood

Aww poor lil pigs!! They have always been my fave animal :) make such good pets and they are so cute :) it makes me sad that you are going to eat them (I'm vego lol) but least they will have an awesome life with you before!!

I couldn't wait to grow them lol.
In Hong Kong, I had the best roast baby pig :) (drooling just thinking bout it)

I remember seeing on a Gordon Ramsy show that he gave his pig a glass of red wine everyday to see if it tasted any better. never got to see the result though...

if i had them i'd be cutting their backs and rubbing in salt every day. love crackling!!!!

seriously though, if it wasn't for my dog with an obsession with anything pig, i would have a pig or two. cool animals.

i didn't catch up on the thread, i'm guessing your dog is all good now gordo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back