New Sus scrofa in outdoor pen

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
6a00d83454dcf769e20133ed524d22970b-800wi

Oh No ! Theyre so cute but........

Pigs are my one of my favoutite critters, fun to kill(especially if they are big enough to kill you), make great pets and also can be good food if you dont buy the rubbish they sell at the supermarket that is farmed in terrible conditions making it not only cruel but taste crap too.

Would love to keep a wild Aussie pig but like most cool stuff its illegal here and a 200kg+ plus pig isnt very subtle in an urban area. Im sure a big one could devour a few DPI inspectors but its illegal to feed them meat.

Anyone seen the movie Snatch.'Always be afraid of the man who owns a pig farm.They can clean up a human corpse in half hr".Domestic pigs grow quite big too,but the wild ones i have heard are waaay bigger.Do you need a permit to hunt pigs?What do you do with the pig after it's dead?They would be full of worms and parasites wouldn't they?

I should have updated this thread.

Here's what i ended up doing to the black one. He was delicious!

pig.jpg

pig2.jpg

He ended up being too heavy for the spit. So i had to bone it out. Was suprisingly easy too, if you're pretty handy at filleting fish then you can bone out a pig.

pig5.jpg

pig4.jpg

And this is the old fella cooking away! Just an FYI, a 44 gal drum does not make a good spit roaster, the way the heat comes off it too uneven. It ended up only cooking the middle part (which was still enough to feed about 15 people.

pig1.jpg

The meat was beautiful! Tasted nothign like the pork you buyout of the shop. The meat was sooo tender and silky smooth, not too much fat either. The only thing i was disapointed with was we didn't getany good crackle off him. But i think i'll have that sorted for Spotty Pig that i'll be eating in a fortnights time!

Anyone seen the movie Snatch.'Always be afraid of the man who owns a pig farm.They can clean up a human corpse in half hr".Domestic pigs grow quite big too,but the wild ones i have heard are waaay bigger.Do you need a permit to hunt pigs?What do you do with the pig after it's dead?They would be full of worms and parasites wouldn't they?

In the NT it depends on where you are hunting whether you need a permit and what permit you need. When i shoot a wild one, as long as i don't have to drag its sorry **** too far, i usually bring them back for the locals to eat. They do have worms and sometimes TB but you just don't eat the TB ones and if the worms aren't too bad you just make sure you cook them right through.

Some breeds of domestic pigs get massive, much bigger than ferals. I've never seen a feral pig that would be over 120kg, i'm sure they get a bit bigger than that but not a whole lot bigger in Aus.

Last edited:
I'd get too attached to them... I like piggies... but I also like pork... and bacon... and ham...

J

I'm the same. I want to get a potbellied pig and call it 'sausage', but my husband keeps threatening to cook it when it dies. Part of me is horrified as it would be a pet, while another part is horrified that he would wait for it to die of old age before cooking it.

Here's some other pictures, when i was butchering him. It's amazing that you can make a black pig turn white! And another FYI, if you're scolding your beast be careful not to burn the skin.

Hanging while he bled out. It was dead, I shot it with .22.
Photo032.jpg

Photo033.jpg

And just before i gutted him with my dog making sure no one was going to steal my pig!

Photo034.jpg

Just had a look at the pig thread. Yum! They look a darn sight tastier and easier to prepare than those big old crocs you have been butchering this year. The boned one on the spit looks particularly appetising with all of that lovely brown skin - mmmmmmm. I'll bet your dog made short work of the bones, too. My rottie would have been in heaven.

Is spotty pig your Easter treat? You really need a giant weber-style barbeque. The lid helps it heat more evenly. My dad does a massive turkey on one in the USA for Thanksgiving and it is SO tasty. Maybe if you used another drum as a lid (needs vents) to help hold in the heat...

Yes spotty pig was to be an easter treat. I popped him yesterday but all my friends have disappeared on holidays so i'll be eating him next weekend.

Turned out i left him a little too long and he got a bit too big. He weighed in at 35kg dressed which is far too pig for the spit (it's only a 20kg motor). I ended up halving him, i'll do one side on the spit like the other and the other half hass been shared out. I had some ribs for dinner last night with a smokey bbq marinade, mmmmm! Was delicious!

Shot in the pen while snout is in the trough?
He properly did better than the average cow, who can get trucked for days before reaching bovine university.

Yes shot in the pen while he was thinking he was going to get his snout in the trough.

Tell you what though. I'm never scraping down a wild pig that weighs more than 25kg ever again. It took me freakin ages!

when my kids started nagging for piglets last time I showed them pretty much the same pics. They then refused me to get the piglets:) Both hubster and I are chefs, so they know I was not kidding either:rolleyes:

Here's some pics of the last one. I'm never doing a wild pig this big in the same way again. Took 6 hours all up including butchering. Ate some on friday night, boy was he delicious though!

Photo043.jpg

Photo044.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back